snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » John Lennon & Revolution

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: John Lennon & Revolution
The Spider in the Ointment
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it true that John Lennon recorded the song "Revolution" on his back to try and get that particular sound?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know the answer, but perhaps you should consider rewording the sentence; I had to read it three times before I understood what you were asking.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stratford

Icon 106 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But then the Beatles recorded several vesions of that song, like Revolution 2 and Revolution No. 9 but I take it you didn't mean that one, of course [Smile]

Further on, he's sung it at concerts (certainly not lying on his back) but I don't know if it sounded differently then...

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 106 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it's true. There's a picture of John recording his vocal while lying on the studio floor in Peter Brown's The Love You Make, although (in my early version of the book, at least) Brown misidentifies the photo as John recording Abbey Road and misattributes the prone posture to John's being "stoned."

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
EvilChimp
Xboxing Day

Icon 204 posted      Profile for EvilChimp   E-mail EvilChimp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he sang Twist and Shout on his back.

--------------------
what

Posts: 1240 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Spider in the Ointment

quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
I don't know the answer, but perhaps you should consider rewording the sentence; I had to read it three times before I understood what you were asking.

John Lennon wrote a song.
John Lennon wanted his voice to sound interesting in that song.
John Lennon decided to lie on his back in the recording studio and sing it.
They recorded him singing while he was lying on his back

JK "At least that's the story" Will

Lee Harvey Oswald

It depends which version you're talking about.

John first recorded it with the other three doing mock doo-wop vocals. That's Revolution 1, the single version.

John played it back later and decided to re-record it. However, Paul McCartney persuaded him to just overdub onto the master tapes from Revolution 1. He had Nicky Hopkins add piano to it and I believe he also added a brass section. That's Revolution 2, the album version.

Then Yoko persuaded John to add a little avant-garde present for the fans to the album. He grabbed George Harrison and they started recording random sounds. George made his amplifier give off feedback, John shouted out the names of dances, Yoko wailed, producers George Martin and Chris Thomas added in random sounds from the EMI vaults. Paul and Ringo wanted to add their personal stamp to it, so Paul brought out his tape recordings of audiences at Beatles concerts and added the sounds to the mix. Ringo crashed on the cymbals and that was added as well.
That's Revolution 9.

Lee

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 106 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
John first recorded it with the other three doing mock doo-wop vocals. That's Revolution 1, the single version. John played it back later and decided to re-record it. However, Paul McCartney persuaded him to just overdub onto the master tapes from Revolution 1. He had Nicky Hopkins add piano to it and I believe he also added a brass section. That's Revolution 2, the album version.
Ixnay.

"Revolution 1" (the slow, acoustic version with brass overdubs and "doo-wop" background vocals) was the first track recorded for what would become the "White Album" (and was the version for which John lay on the floor to record his vocal).

[The final take of "Revolution 1" ran over ten minutes in length; the last six minutes (mostly composed of John and Yoko screaming) were excised and later used for the sound collage that appeared on the same album under the title "Revolution 9."]

John wanted to release "Revolution 1" as a single, but the others (primarily Paul) felt it was too slow, so a completely separate, faster version (with distorted guitars and electric piano, but no "doo-wop" vocals) was recorded several weeks later and released as the B-side of "Hey Jude."

Two months after the single version of "Revolution" was recorded the Beatles were filmed performing it for a promotional clip, but they simply sang new vocal tracks (bringing back the "doo-wop" background vocals dropped after the original, slower version) over the pre-recorded instrumental tracks used for the single version.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a UL - I'm sure some of you have heard it - that the first, slower version was recorded at that speed because John hadn't yet learned altogether learned the song.

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

quote:
There's a UL - I'm sure some of you have heard it - that the first, slower version was recorded at that speed because John hadn't yet altogether learned the song.
Good thing they recorded on tape instead of directly to vinyl.

- snopes

Jaime Vargas Sanchez
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Yes, it's true. There's a picture of John recording his vocal while lying on the studio floor in Peter Brown's The Love You Make, although (in my early version of the book, at least) Brown misidentifies the photo as John recording Abbey Road and misattributes the prone posture to John's being "stoned."

- snopes

And to further back it up it's mentioned in Lewisohn's The Beatles' Recording Sessions (a must for every Beatles aficionado).

Jaime

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages