snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Hurricane Katrina » For New Orleans after Katrina, too many nights remain silent

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For New Orleans after Katrina, too many nights remain silent
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 07 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The U.S. government has spent more than $80 billion to help the region recover and rebuild. Yet in the nearly 16 months since the storm hit, these areas in coastal Louisiana and Mississippi remain silent shells, and the promise of rebuilding seems distant to those who once lived here.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-12-20-new-orleans-rebuilding_x.htm

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Granny
I'm Dreaming of... never mind, I'm just dreaming.

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Granny   E-mail Granny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, to the little old lady like me, that's a lot of money. Has it all been paid out? Who's getting it and who already got it? How do people find out this stuff? What about all the skilled carpenters, etc. that flooded that area to make money and help out? I've heard some stories from some individuals that have gone to that area to work - and none were good. I feel so awful about what has happened and is continuing to happen to that area of our neighborhood. What can be done? What still needs to happen? I only know what I know and I don't know it all!

--------------------
That's why I am asking... I only know what I know and I don't know everything!

Blessings, Granny

Posts: 3 | From: Rochester, NH | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Granny:
I've heard some stories from some individuals that have gone to that area to work - and none were good.

Welcome to the board, Granny. I'm interested in these stories you've heard -- are they from people who went to work for money, or people who went to volunteer? I've heard some stories from people who volunteered, and they were all very positive. Some kids from one of the local high schools went down recently to muck out and gut damaged houses.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Granny
I'm Dreaming of... never mind, I'm just dreaming.

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Granny   E-mail Granny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Originally posted by Granny:
I've heard some stories from some individuals that have gone to that area to work - and none were good.

Welcome to the board, Granny. I'm interested in these stories you've heard -- are they from people who went to work for money, or people who went to volunteer? I've heard some stories from people who volunteered, and they were all very positive. Some kids from one of the local high schools went down recently to muck out and gut damaged houses.
Hi Lainie, Thanks for the welcome! It's good to hear the good stuff going on and there is a lot of it, I'm sure. The stories I've heard are more about greedy s.o.b.'z looking to make money off the desperate - the down and scared with no place to go. They're stealing from these people that don't have anything but a hope to rebuild. There's people begging for workers - good, hard workers - and when they get down there to work - there's no place to live, no place to work, and nobody to find. That's just one story from one person that gave up everything in Massachusetts to lend a hand in the areas needing the most help. He hooked up on-line and by phone with a "minister" from Louisianna and by the time he reached the agreed meeting area, the "minister" was nowhere to be found. Then when he did find work, he had to live under a tree (and those were hard to come by!) until he made money to pay for a room in a partially renovated place (still needed electric and plumbing and appliances). Most of the people he was running into were scamming somebody or stealing tools or stealing supplies from somebody. It just sounded like everything down in that area couldn't get any worse with the water and the death and the losses - and then add greedy, little minded people looking out for an easy way to make a buck. It sucks and I hate it. If only I was in better health - I'd be there doing what I could, not taking what I can. All that money would have done better in stronger security. I don't know, I wish I had the answers for somebody. I can not imagine having to pick up after such devastation. Where did the landowners and homeowners go? I've heard stories of contractors going to older homeowners, telling them they can do such and such for this much money with half up front so that they can go buy the starting supplies, only to disappear with the people's money! Yes, they were foolish to give up their money to just anybody, but people that are desperate do foolish things, don't they? I just can't imagine it. I get angry when I think about the abuse that's heaped onto the pile of death and destruction in a person's life. It leaves a bitter taste in a person's mouth and I thank God I have not had to put such trust in total strangers.

And before I go, kudos to the kids and all the other good people that have given their time and their money in helping people get back on their feet. They need the attention more than the thiefs, definately!

--------------------
That's why I am asking... I only know what I know and I don't know everything!

Blessings, Granny

Posts: 3 | From: Rochester, NH | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages