snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Hurricane Katrina » Katrina victems sell free home

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Katrina victems sell free home
ComicBookGeek
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ComicBookGeek     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061121/ap_on_re_us/katrina_gift_house

quote:
"I really don't like this area," said Delores Thompson. "I really didn't, and I didn't know anybody, so that's why I didn't move in and I sold it."

--------------------
My Blog

Posts: 177 | From: Mobile, AL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HollowMan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollowMan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The real estate agent helped pick out a home that she wanted. If she "never really liked the place," why did she pick a home there. The whole bottom half of the article sounds dodgy to me.

--------------------
Heisenberg may have slept here.

I got an idea... an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about.

Posts: 291 | From: Greenville, SC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What a piece of shit. The church should have put a condition in the contract that said they couldn't sell the house for a certain amount of time.

But being from MA, I have to say; $75,000 for a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house? Wow! You can maybe get a 2 bedroom, 1 bedroom roach infested shack in a bad part of town for that here.

Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
$75,000 might get you 1/4 acre of swamp land here. Or a double wide mobile home. But not both land and a place to live on it.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Man, I used to do Habitat for Humanity projects in the summer as a teen and I can't imagine how upset I would be to find that someone was taking advantage of my work and faith. I guess charges should start letting families live in a home rent free rather than signing it over for good.

Re: home cost. My house cost $30k even. That's a 1/5 acre plot in town, average sized two bedroom/1 bath. We've converted it to 2 bath 3 bedroom with the same square footage. It's worth maybe $50k after all we've done to it--new carpet, new windows, second bathroom, remodeled kitched, etc.

I was recently offered a much better paying job out of state but the cost of living, particularly housing made the move prohibitively expensive. The sale of my home wouldn't have beginned to help pay for anything in Northern Virginia.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If the couple was really homeless (and I have my doubts) I don't see a problem with reselling the house that was given them. I don't like it when people put conditions on a gift.

ETA: It is kind of like the M*A*S*H episode where Winchester gives the expensive candy to the orphanage and the headmaster sells it to buy ordinary food. Once you give a gift, you have to allow the receiver to use it as hesh will.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a difference between recieving and subsequently selling an unexpected gift and asking for something specific and expensive only to never make use of it.

quote:
"They came in humble like they really needed a new start, and our hearts went out to them," said Jean Phillips, a real estate agent and member of the Temple of Deliverance Church of God in Christ. "They actually begged for the home."
I have some relatives that have pulled that stunt before, so I may be a little jaded. In their case it was "can I have some money? No? Okay, then can I have a car so that I can drive and get a job? Yes! Great!," before turning around and selling the car immediately that they never planned to drive anywhere. It was just a way to get the cash they wanted for god knows what. It may not be illegal, but I don't think it's a stretch to call it unethical, or at least incredibly bad manners in a case of such a substantial gift.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elwood:
There's a difference between recieving and subsequently selling an unexpected gift and asking for something specific and expensive only to never make use of it.

Good point. Now that I think about it some more, I would have a problem with someone asking for a gift and then reselling it. I was thinking more about a freely given gift being sold.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like they falsely represented themselves as a married couple with kids who needed housing and would love to live in the area. Makes me wonder if they have tried this in other areas. Sounds like a good way to make some serious cash....
Is there any way to look up real estate deals with that ladies name?

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages