snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Hurricane Katrina » I am a racist plantation owner who wants to kill all blacks (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I am a racist plantation owner who wants to kill all blacks
vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by unklesam's under the boardwalk:
Myspace is a voluntary activity that you choose to participate in and that potential employers may have a chance to view. But (without a specific cite, currently looking) I can assure you that if that were listed as a reason for not hiring someone or for teminating employment, there could be a lawsuit.

I did not choose to have the person I was interviewing with on Monday standing at the bar where I shoot pool Friday night. I can also within reason assume that equal qualifications and such and you choose not employ me because of some outside information you recieved without my knowledge I would have grounds for appeal.

Based on what? It is only illegal to discriminate based on sex, race, marital status, age, and disability. No where in there is "what I do in my free time."

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 08 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Officer's website content stirs furor

For Some, Online Persona Undermines a Resume

It is very unrealistic to expect that employers are not going to make use of what they can find out, whether or not you consider it ethical. For example, I know of a man who has successfully managed to avoid ever hiring a smoker - not by asking questions but simply using his nose.

I realize that I am a representative of my place of employment even when I am not at work. When in public I use common sense about the image I present.

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, in most states, aside from certain protected criteria (such as race, religion, gender, marital status, handicapping condition, and in some states sexual orientation), a private, non-unionized employer can hire or refuse to hire or fire anyone for any reason or no reason at all. It is called "at will employment".

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Myspace is a voluntary activity that you choose to participate in and that potential employers may have a chance to view. But (without a specific cite, currently looking) I can assure you that if that were listed as a reason for not hiring someone or for teminating employment, there could be a lawsuit.
And in most states, including PA, the lawsuit would be in favor of the employer. You don't need a reason to fire someone, you just can't use illegal reasons such as race, sex, national origin, religion, disability.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
unklesamta
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unklesamta   E-mail unklesamta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand at-will employment. And at-will terminations can be appealed. Trust me, I just got back from an appeals hearing. And if the reason given were to be something that falls outside the jurisdiction of the job site, the discharged worker would likely recieve compensation.

You simply cannot use any means at your disposable, whether it be observing someones behavior at a bar or on a bus to determine their employability status. You are also not allowed to ask former employers about a persons performance unless they have given express permission to ask those questions. and the former employer risks a lawsuit if the answers given are the reason stated for not hiring or continuing employment.

And the question still remains, why does the fact that I fill the pool room with dirty words have any effect on my ability to work in a professional manner?

--------------------
The less you know, the more you believe. -Bono

Posts: 457 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You simply cannot use any means at your disposable, whether it be observing someones behavior at a bar or on a bus to determine their employability status. You are also not allowed to ask former employers about a persons performance unless they have given express permission to ask those questions. and the former employer risks a lawsuit if the answers given are the reason stated for not hiring or continuing employment.

Say what?!? Where is this so? I know many don't answer such questions for fear of lawsuits but I've never heard of not being allowed to ask former employers such questions.

ETA for clarity.

--------------------

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 08 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And the question still remains, why does the fact that I fill the pool room with dirty words have any effect on my ability to work in a professional manner?

If you are by chance observed by a potential employer while cussing a blue streak, yes, they are going to judge you. The employer doesn't put down in writing every thought that crosses his or her mind during the hiring process. I wouldn't hire someone who I knew to be accustomed to using frequent foul language because I would fear they would eventually slip up.

I used to work at a bookstore in a mall, and often had many chances to observe some of the young men and women who applied for work. I certainly did apply those observations as to who I thought were appropriate choices. I would have been a fool not to do so.

ETA to add something.

--------------------

Silkenreindeer
Wassaleing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silkenreindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think he has a point at the very beginning, but in his haste to see it as a racial issue misses the heart of the "plantation owner" issue.

Instead of just "white people" being plantation owners, a more accurate interpretation would be that those of us in First and Second World countries (sorry if the terminology is outdated. it's more accurate than pinning the blame on "the west", as non-western countries like Japan and South Korea are arguably culpable as well) are the plantation owners, while those in third world or "developing" countries are the slaves.

I would say that on one level all who benefit from an inflated salary bubble, and relatively speaking low cost of goods and services gleaned from Third World countries, are the plantation owners, whatever the skin colors involved.

Frankly, if he has lived in the US for any length of time and hasn't on some level profited from the economic advantages that come from living in a First World country, I'd be amazed. That doesn't mean that racism isn't real and doesn't affect people of different types within the US and other countries. I'm certainly not trying to say that there are no economic and social disadvantages facing minorities within our societies. But to state that all white people are plantation owners and all black people are slaves is refusing to acknowledge the way in which his own lifestyle undoubtably benefits from the poverty of others.

Posts: 494 | From: Epping, Essex, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What happened to Bill?
Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ParaDiddle:
What happened to Bill?

I asked that in the "Missing in action" thread - I noticed he'd been deregistered too. No idea... if there was any public incident I missed it.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Camino
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Camino   E-mail El Camino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously this thread is long dead. But I was perusing some Kurt Vonnegut quotes (a good pastime, but not as good as actually reading his books), and found something terribly relevant to this man's speech. I have no idea if he had heard this quote and was basing his speech off of it, but he certainly could have.

quote:
Originally written by Kurt Vonnegut in Hocus Pocus:
I asked Rob Roy where he had gone to college.
"Yale," he said.

I told him what Helen Dole said about Yale, that it ought to be called "Plantation Owners' Tech."

"I don't get it," he said.

"I had to ask her to explain it myself," I said. "She said Yale was where plantation owners learned how to get the natives to kill each other instead of them."

I just found it interesting how closely the fellow in the OP's speech resonated with this quote. It really almost seems like he based his speech off of it. I wonder if this is so.

Doesn't make his speech any less ridiculous, even if he did. But interesting nonetheless.

Posts: 1048 | From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages