snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Hurricane Katrina » New Orleans population down 60% since Katrina

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Orleans population down 60% since Katrina
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Story here.

quote:
Fewer than 190,000 people are living in New Orleans a year after hurricane Katrina, a door-to-door survey released Thursday showed.

The population of 187,525 is about 41 per cent of the 454,000 people estimated to be living in Orleans Parish before the storm hit Aug. 29, 2005.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to be snarky, but is this supposed to be news? In a city where most of the infrastructure is still in chaos, it is not feasible for the people to return, even if they had the money or the desire to do so.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin 2020:
Not to be snarky, but is this supposed to be news? In a city where most of the infrastructure is still in chaos, it is not feasible for the people to return, even if they had the money or the desire to do so.

It might be to all the people who seem to be convinced that New Orleans should be completely back to normal, after all they've had a whole YEAR to recover [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A massive hurricane nearly wipes the city off the face of the Earth and kills thousand of people and now less people want to live there? I am shocked! Shocked I tell you!

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
keokuk
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keokuk     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin 2020:

I don't think anyone questioned that the population was down, but a new tally on the actual population is almost certainly news.
Posts: 345 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
A massive hurricane nearly wipes the city off the face of the Earth and kills thousand of people and now less people want to live there? I am shocked! Shocked I tell you!

Not living there is not the same as not wanting to live there. Among that 60% I'm sure there are some who miss their hometown terribly but for one reason or another find it impractical to go back.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steve
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:

Someone posts an article that shows that a major city has it's population decrease by a an enormous amount. And this is your response? You're pathetic. No, really, we're all fascinated by the idiotic "facts" you bring to those threads on bottled water. Good to know you're on the side of truth there, Joe. Don't know what we'd we do without you.

ETA: My apologies for the tone of this remark. It was totally uncalled for.

Posts: 1699 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DevilBunny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DevilBunny   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I confess that I'm still amazed anyone wanted to live there to start with. What were the people who founded New Orleans thinking?

"Hey! I've found this great place for a city. It's all swampland! And below sea level, too. Even better, it gets these really huge storms occasionally!"

"Sounds perfect."

DevilBunny

Disclaimer: you could fit everything I know about the founding of New Orleans into a teacup and still have plenty of room for the tea*.

*Lady Grey, milk, no sugar

--------------------
"For God has seven thousand names, and one of them is bastard"

Posts: 420 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DevilBunny:
I confess that I'm still amazed anyone wanted to live there to start with. What were the people who founded New Orleans thinking?

"Hey! I've found this great place for a city. It's all swampland! And below sea level, too. Even better, it gets these really huge storms occasionally!"

"Sounds perfect."

DevilBunny

Disclaimer: you could fit everything I know about the founding of New Orleans into a teacup and still have plenty of room for the tea*.

*Lady Grey, milk, no sugar

To start with, it was founded before people had the understanding of river systems we have now, or the purposes served by wetlands. And the original settlement wasn't below sea level -- development in those areas happened later.

Poor site selection isn't unique to New Orleans. Seattle was founded on tidal flats at the base of very steep cliffs. Later, after a fire, high-pressure hoses were used to regrade the cliffs into steep hills. The city was rebuilt on fill dirt from the regrading -- not the best foundation for a city located in an earthquake zone.

And to this day, people routinely build homes on hurricane-prone coastal areas and islands, in river floodplains, and near active volcanoes (Mount Rainier and Mount Shasta).

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve:
My apologies for the tone of this remark. It was totally uncalled for.

Don't worry about. Consider it forgotten. [Smile]

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
btvsrcks
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for btvsrcks   E-mail btvsrcks   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually agree with Joe. It isn't a surprise that people don't want to live there right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if the population decrease in Mississippi was less than in New Orleans. Simply because of the publicity New Orleans got over other areas that were also hit very hard.

Consider that every city has attrition (I need a spell checker) and that new people move into cities all the time. But nobody new is moving to New Orleans unless they are aid workers. There is more fear generated when something like that happens in your lifetime. If nothing like that happens for the next 25 years or so, another generation will grow up and start moving into the area again.

And as an fyi, St. Helens is more active than Rainier, at least in its spewing. [Smile] (Looks out at Mt. Rainier)

Posts: 69 | From: Renton, WA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Company
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Company   E-mail Bad Company   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One factor here is the high unemployment that existed in NO. A friend at work had his cousin land here with his family and the contents of their car. They had both been out of work for several months in NO. Being used to the job market in NO they hit the ground running putting in applications their first day in town. Within a week mom was working at Wal-mart. She couldn't believe it. In another two weeks Dad was working where I work. They are still there. There is no way in the world these people are going back to NO. That's the working folks. The welfare bunch isn't going to care where their welfare checks come from as long as they come in. Katrina changed the face of No permenently.
Posts: 24 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Company:
One factor here is the high unemployment that existed in NO. A friend at work had his cousin land here with his family and the contents of their car. They had both been out of work for several months in NO. Being used to the job market in NO they hit the ground running putting in applications their first day in town. Within a week mom was working at Wal-mart. She couldn't believe it. In another two weeks Dad was working where I work. They are still there. There is no way in the world these people are going back to NO. That's the working folks. The welfare bunch isn't going to care where their welfare checks come from as long as they come in. Katrina changed the face of No permenently.

We got a lot of evacuees in Texas and that sort of thing was happened a fair bit. Part of the relief effort here was a push to provide jobs and it got a lot of people working. It wasnt uncommon to see local news stories where they talked to evacuees who said they never wanted to go back to New Orleans because things were just so much better for them here then in New Orleans prior to Katrina or talked about how much nicer people were to them here.
Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by btvsrcks:
And as an fyi, St. Helens is more active than Rainier, at least in its spewing. [Smile] (Looks out at Mt. Rainier)

I lived in the Seattle area for several years, so I'm aware of the relative activity levels of the two mountains. But are there are housing developments sprouting up around the base of St. Helens? That was the point I was addressing.

--------------------

Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not exactly (it's a National Park), nor are there housing developments 'at the base' of Rainier. But there are dangers in living along the path of a past/potential lahar from Rainier, even at some distance away from the mountain itself.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by Tootsie Plunkette:
Not exactly (it's a National Park), nor are there housing developments 'at the base' of Rainier. But there are dangers in living along the path of a past/potential lahar from Rainier, even at some distance away from the mountain itself.

In my original post, I said "near active volcanoes." That was a more accurate expression of my point.

--------------------

Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by btvsrcks:
I wouldn't be surprised if the population decrease in Mississippi was less than in New Orleans. Simply because of the publicity New Orleans got over other areas that were also hit very hard.

Mississippi has actually seen a population increase, at least in the southern/central regions. Tons of people from south Louisiana have moved up here. The population of Picayune, MS, has roughly tripled and Hattiesburg is packed.

While parts of the coast were obliterated, I don't think as many homes over here were damaged by water standing in them for days. If people did move in Mississippi, they seem to have moved from the coast to new homes inland or further north.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages