snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Hurricane Katrina » $90,000 to return to NO?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: $90,000 to return to NO?
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 605 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard a guy on the radio yesterday morning, telling that his wife's coworker had turned in her notice this week. She was a hurricane "refugee", and she was getting $90,000 to return to New Orleans and rebuild. This guy claimed that he'd heard of three other people who were pulling up stakes here and heading back home.

Anyone hear of such an offer to Katrina victims? It just doesn't ring true to me. I suspect that this person just finally got her insurance settlement.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think your insurance explanation makes sense. I think someone along the chain just miscommunicated what was happening.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did she have some kind of highly valuable job? Because I could see paying a pretty big bonus like that to bribe back vital employees.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read an article (I'll link it if I can find it again) about Burger King or McDonalds offering to pay employees $12 p/h and to give them a $5,000 signing bonus. If a fast food place is willing to do that to get new employees, I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that employees in other companies a little higher up the skill chain might be getting even higher offers to tempt them back.

ETA: link

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
Did she have some kind of highly valuable job? Because I could see paying a pretty big bonus like that to bribe back vital employees.

The guy on the radio said she worked at a department store. But that doesn't mean it's her chosen career. A lot of people took temporary jobs while they were living in temporary homes.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages