snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Hurricane Katrina » Restaurants donating money on 8/29?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Restaurants donating money on 8/29?
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
SO told me that someone in his office had said that they had heard (I know, I know...FOAF) that some restaurants were going to donate a portion of their proceeds on 8/29 to some kind of relief for Katrina victims. Has anyone else heard about it, or can they provide a link or something (if it is true)?

For the record, I think this would be a good note for Snopes to publish on the main website [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One would think that if they were intending to do such a thing, they'd want to publicize it.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard of this as well!

Here's the link: Share our Strength

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the link, RangerDog! I think SO and I might be making a trip to the nearest restaurant on Tuesday.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cool! Red Robin isn't basing their donation on patrons served; they're just flat out giving $20k.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Adelaide
Remembrances of Things Bass

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adelaide   E-mail Adelaide   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am really disgusted. The only restaurant listed for my area notes that it will donate $1.00 for each guest served. Not 10% of sales, or $2 per special item served, as some other restaurants in other areas are doing. One freaking dollar per customer.

This is a pricey restaurant, and could afford to donate much much more than that. If my whole family went there (and we have in the past), our meal plus tip would easily be between $150 - $175. So they'd donate $6 for us??? I'm better off making the donation myself (which I have done, and will do again).

--------------------
Natural selection is a beguiling counterfeiter of deliberate purpose. - Richard Dawkins

Posts: 620 | From: Alaska | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adelaide:
I am really disgusted. The only restaurant listed for my area notes that it will donate $1.00 for each guest served. Not 10% of sales, or $2 per special item served, as some other restaurants in other areas are doing. One freaking dollar per customer.

This is a pricey restaurant, and could afford to donate much much more than that. If my whole family went there (and we have in the past), our meal plus tip would easily be between $150 - $175. So they'd donate $6 for us??? I'm better off making the donation myself (which I have done, and will do again).

I've eaten there. One night I was there Prince Albert of Monaco came in. One whole dollar per person! Can they spare it?

That's outrageously cheap of them.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
quote:
I am really disgusted. The only restaurant listed for my area notes that it will donate $1.00 for each guest served.

One whole dollar per person! Can they spare it?

You should boycott them. Then they'd donate even less.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Adelaide

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adelaide   E-mail Adelaide   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, not boycott them, but not make a special effort (and great expense) to eat there Tuesday night either. It puzzles and disgusts me that an establishment would bother with the appearance of charity and then be so stingy about it.

--------------------
Natural selection is a beguiling counterfeiter of deliberate purpose. - Richard Dawkins

Posts: 620 | From: Alaska | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
quote:
I am really disgusted. The only restaurant listed for my area notes that it will donate $1.00 for each guest served.

One whole dollar per person! Can they spare it?

You should boycott them. Then they'd donate even less.

Seaboe

Boycott? I live 4600 miles away. And if I did still live in Anchorage, Simon and Seaforts isn't in the budget. If a Simon and Searforts style restaurant was in the budget this week, I could go to any one of a number nearby restaurants of similar quality which are pledging 5% or 10% of the bill, far more than $1/person. One of the places closest to me is pledging $2 for each of a particular drink ordered.

However, if Simon and Seafort's is pledging a $1 for each guest served including those who stop in for happy hour drinks it could end up being a pretty decent contributions. I don't know what their happy hour is like these days, but it use to be pretty good. But then, it is a Tuesday event....

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
Well, not boycott them, but not make a special effort (and great expense) to eat there Tuesday night either. It puzzles and disgusts me that an establishment would bother with the appearance of charity and then be so stingy about it.

Do you know what their expenses are? Do you know what their profit margin is? Do you know how many patrons they're likely to serve on a Tuesday night so as to accurately judge the potential donation?

Seaboe

--------------------

Adelaide

quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
Do you know what their expenses are?

No.
quote:
Do you know what their profit margin is?
No.
quote:
Do you know how many patrons they're likely to serve on a Tuesday night so as to accurately judge the potential donation?
Seaboe

Hmmmm.....no. At least, I don't know the actual figures on any of that to cite to you. Luckily, I don't rely on such detailed corporate information before deciding where to spend $175 on dinner for the family, and deciding how much of that I think is fair to donate to Katrina victims. I'm relying on my intuition and the fact that I've eaten there several times, and at loads of other local restaurants and so have a basis to compare, as a consumer.

I'm not sure why my reaction is enough impetus for you to post in defense of this restaurant - maybe you know one of the owners? Maybe you run a restaurant that's making a similar donation and are offended at my comments? I'm trying to figure out why it seems to bother you so.

--------------------

babyshoes
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babyshoes   E-mail babyshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bummer. There aren't any participating restaurants anywhere near me...so I've made jambalaya instead. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"When Jesus said to love your enemies, I think he meant don't kill them." from a song by Linda K. Williams

Posts: 124 | From: Rappahannock County, VA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
I'm not sure why my reaction is enough impetus for you to post in defense of this restaurant - maybe you know one of the owners? Maybe you run a restaurant that's making a similar donation and are offended at my comments? I'm trying to figure out why it seems to bother you so.

I'm not defending the restaurant. I am just irritated that you find it so easy to judge the adequacy of someone else's charitable donation, especially given that you apparently have no knowledge of their economics.

It's always easy to give away someone else's money.

Seaboe

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages