snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Hurricane Katrina » Katrina (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Katrina
osakadave
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for osakadave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
It is being called the worst natural disaster in US history.

Probably in financial terms, but the death toll is going to have to be horrendous to claim the title away from the Storm of 1900
that killed 10,000 in Galveston.

And the Martial Law is a sort of thing:

quote:
Martial law clarified
Tuesday, 9:02 p.m.

The state Attorney General's office on Tuesday sought to clarify reports in some media that "martial law' has been declared in parts of storm-ravaged southeast Louisiana, saying no such term exists in Louisiana law.

But even though no martial law exists, Gov. Kathleen Blanco's declaration of a state of emergency gives authorities widespread latitude to suspend civil liberties as they try to restore order and bring victims to safety. Under the Louisiana Homeland Security and Emergency Assistance and Disaster Act of 1993, the governor and, in some cases, chief parish officials, have the right to commandeer or utilize any private property if necessary to cope with the emergency.

from nola.com

--------------------
Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. (Hurting yourself is not sinful -- just stupid.)
Lazarus Long
http://www.scoutingforall.org/

Posts: 80 | From: Sakai City, Osaka-Fu, Japan | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hazed
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hazed   E-mail Hazed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I know I'm not adding much to this discussion, but I'm just now able to watch the news about just how bad Katrina was/is. To see the rubble and think there could be people or animals trapped their makes my heart stop. Seeing the city I so enjoyed during my honeymoon only a year ago covered in water just breaks my heart. It's going to be a long time before we will be able to recover from this. [Frown]
Posts: 1128 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Again, anyone here that is involved or who has loved ones involved, please accept my sympathies, thoughts and prayers. This is just horrible.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
For some reason this morning this song popped in my head & I instantly started crying. I definately won't be able to listen to it for awhile.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
There is a public health expert talking about the risks associated with standing, stagnant water, and that, unless they are able to get these people fresh water, to be prepared for many deaths due to disentery.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I've had a horrible thought.

I've always heard that a suprising number of people aren't aware the most homeowner's policies don't cover flood damage.

I wonder how many people think they are covered, but are about to recieve a horrible shock?

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:

I've always heard that a suprising number of people aren't aware the most homeowner's policies don't cover flood damage.

I wonder how many people think they are covered, but are about to recieve a horrible shock?

Good, sad point. Some insurance company organization spokesman was interviewed on NPR, and had a very difficult time trying to get the host to understand that private insurance companies simply do not sell flood insurance, and, if people's homes flooded and they did not have the federal flood policy, they aren't going to be covered.

I do not understand what her (the host's) mental block about that was.

I am amazed when house fire season begins here (fall-early winter when people turn their wall heating units back on) at the numbers of fire victims who do not have homeowners insurance at all. Mainly, it is the elderly, who may not be able to afford it.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I keep seeing the footage of looters, and there seem to be two kinds. People taking primarily expensive stuff, and people taking diapers and food. Are there any stores open in NO? If people don't want to loot, is there a legitimate way to acquire diapers and food?

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:

It seems that in cities that are more flood-prone, the awareness is higher. People in Houston discuss flood insurance much more than anyone else in the state of Texas, for instance. Most banks won't insure homes in the flood plain here without flood insurance. In New Orleans, the problem is likely to be more about the people who couldn't afford insurance at all.
Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
They've opened the Bay County, FL fairgrounds as a Red Cross shelter. About a dozen people are there now, and it should hold about 300 indoors, and has RV hookups as well. Info.

I'm sure others are opening up across the South.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My Mom lives in Gulfport, MS, about 2 miles from the beach. Their house was only slightly damaged, but most of the rest of the sicty was totally destroyed. MS Power says that it looks as if they are going to have to completely rebuild the system that took them 80 years to build in the first place. Power is out from the coast all the way inland to Meridian.

With the media seeming to concentrate on NO, I am frustrated that there are countless people trapped, stranded without power, lights, food, water in Southern MS. And since there is no way to get gasoline, etc they cannot escape the area (on the one highway that was not destroyed).

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mama Duck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mama Duck     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
Good, sad point. Some insurance company organization spokesman was interviewed on NPR, and had a very difficult time trying to get the host to understand that private insurance companies simply do not sell flood insurance, and, if people's homes flooded and they did not have the federal flood policy, they aren't going to be covered.

They won't be covered if they were in a flood plain. While I realize that the entire state of Louisiana is just one big flood plain, even they have a sliding scale. Most people wil receive aid. It more than likely won't be enough to cover the cost of the house but it might help. Anyone outside of FEMA Fllod Zone A will be eleigible for some aid more than likely. They will probably be required to carry flood insurance as a condition of the aid though. Also, there will be a heck of time determining the difference between wind-driven rain waters (which is covered under your home owner's policy) and rising flood waters. In a situation like New Orleans, a distinction will be very important and rather difficult.

~I've had more experience with floods than I care to ponder~

--------------------
There is no interpersonal problem so big that it can't be solved with a suitably large amount of high explosives. ~ Bufungla

Posts: 3562 | From: South Texas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
As previously mentioned, Mooommmeee's Sis and her hubby abandoned their boat/home on Sunday and just started driving away, unsure of where they would go. We know they made it to Tupedo, MS. They checked in on Tuesday morning and rejected pleas to come north to an area where they have relatives (PA or WV for her; OH or MA for him) and insisted that they would have to check on their boat first.

We have not been able to reach them since that conversation and they have not told us where they are or where they were going, only faint hints of "maybe Arkansas or something if we can't return to NOLA." I have to assume that they would not have been able to get anywhere close to their boat's dock, and frankly I would be amazed to hear that their home has any identifiable pieces remaining. We're hoping for contact soon. We're happy to lend whatever assistance is necessary, but they have to accept it. He behaves in an extremely irrational mannerr when subjected to stress, so I'm also praying they haven't done anything more unwise than wondering aimlessly through the South.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I just heard on CNN that several thousand of the people refuging in the Superdome are going to be bussed to the Houston Astrodome for other shelter. Anyone else heard this? I can't imagine the difficulty of that - Houston's several hours away.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oh pleeze
It's So Cheesy (to Fall in Love)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oh pleeze   Author's Homepage   E-mail oh pleeze   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
i saw before and after pictures of Lake Pontchartrain on the news this morning, but searching the web, all i can find is the before picture before can anyone point me to a site where the after pictures are. thanx.

--------------------
op

i'm taking the afternoon off to stalk my previous boss who fired me for taking afternoons off.

Posts: 728 | From: the funshine state! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jackie in the Elevator
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackie in the Elevator     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
You can see some aerial shots at www.wwltv.com. They also have a message board for each parish there. I was able to find out a lot about the town I lived in and the area my brother lives in. Looks like his town was hit with tornados but fortunately very little flooding. We are still waiting to hear if their home sustained any damage.

--------------------
Free the West Memphis Three

Why are these cases still unsolved?

Posts: 1618 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
I just heard on CNN that several thousand of the people refuging in the Superdome are going to be bussed to the Houston Astrodome for other shelter. Anyone else heard this? I can't imagine the difficulty of that - Houston's several hours away.

Houston isn't *that* far away. DH & I did N.O. to DFW several years ago. It's not an easy day but I want to say we got to Houston about lunchtime or so. Considering they really aren't suppose to go back to their homes, putting them in a position where they physically can't do that might be the best solution. Sounds mean but it will probably help.
BTW, not to ask a really petty question but where are the Saints going to play football? And the college teams? Just curious.

ETA: I was reading an article on Yahoo & there are reports that guns were stolen from a Wal-Mart & armed groups are going around & looting stores. I have a feeling they're not looking for bottled water & food.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mama Duck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mama Duck     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Morgaine La Rakkasah:
BTW, not to ask a really petty question but where are the Saints going to play football? And the college teams? Just curious.

I don't know where Tulane and Xavier will play, but the Saints are already here in San Antonio. They'll be playing out of the Alamodome according to local reports this morning, which one does have to take with a grain of salt.

--------------------
There is no interpersonal problem so big that it can't be solved with a suitably large amount of high explosives. ~ Bufungla

Posts: 3562 | From: South Texas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oh pleeze

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oh pleeze   Author's Homepage   E-mail oh pleeze   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jackie in the Elevator:
You can see some aerial shots at www.wwltv.com. They also have a message board for each parish there. I was able to find out a lot about the town I lived in and the area my brother lives in. Looks like his town was hit with tornados but fortunately very little flooding. We are still waiting to hear if their home sustained any damage.

thank you, but i was really looking for a satellite view. i came across a live local coverage site: MetaFilter and they seem to have a lot of good info too. someone keep an eye out for a good aerial shot of the Lake now. thanx again Jackie in the Elevator.

--------------------
op

i'm taking the afternoon off to stalk my previous boss who fired me for taking afternoons off.

Posts: 728 | From: the funshine state! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The Astrodome has several advantages: It is very big, it is not being used for anything else, it has running water and electricity, it's roof has no holes, it is dry and clean inside, there are 4 million people in the city who all still have a home and many of them are ready to help out, there is a functioning city infrastructure in place. All that may well be worth a 250 mile ride in a bus.

I hope they do find a good way to get the Superdome folks to the Astrodome soon. I have heard the situation in there is abysmal.

Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Does anyone know what the long-short-term plan is for the people who are going to the Astrodome? Meaning, to go through the huge undertaking of moving there must mean they're gonna be there for a while? A week? A month?

Ana

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mama Duck

Best case scenario, they'll be there for a couple of weeks. Then they'll move back to whatever's left and probably more than a few tent cities. But mostly they'll be homeless for a month or longer.

--------------------

An engineer friend has been slated to go to New Orleans to help get electricity running. They told him to count on being there at least 6 weeks. So I'd say the Astrodome may be a 1-2 month proposition.

It's not just the water, the lack of roads, the lack of water and electricity. If people come back and are willing to face all that, there will be cholera and other dread diseases. And the hospitals in NO are already sending patients to other semi-nearby hospitals.

I think the city will be mostly uninhabitable for a while.

gspz
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gspz   Author's Homepage   E-mail gspz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Here's a few more pictures of Katrina and the flood it has caused:

http://www.pictures-pictures.net/hurricaine-katrina/

Posts: 70 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I really hope that, by "tent cities," we mean "temporary mobile home parks."

Some Pensacola residents were still in their temporary housing a full year after Ivan. You can't live a year in a tent.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rebochan the Retail Reindeer
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Another problem I've been hearing about related to the flooding besides the dysentery - the waters in New Orleans and Mississipi are also infested with snakes and alligators. When the water is that high, they've pretty much got free reign.

--------------------
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

"Vote Republican! We won't burn you at the stake for your religious beliefs or slaughter your family and steal your land." -- Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 3555 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Boy, am I glad my friend's mom finally left. She was going to ride it out, but she finally relented and evacuated. I'm sure my friend and her brothers and sisters are happier, though.

To our snopesters there in the thick of things, I'm glad you guys are okay, and will keep you and pretty much everyone else down there in my prayers.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
According to MSNBC, 475 busses are standing by to take 25,000 evacuees out of NOLA and to the Astrodome over the next 48 hours. The Astrodome has cleared it's schedule for all events until January of next year. I would guess that those evacuees will be there until either relatives or charitees take them in or NOLA is in shape to them back.

I will be curious as to how they get the people from the Superdome out, but I would imagine that a tennable plan is in place.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oh pleeze

finally, it's been posted

-

--------------------
op

Adelaide
Remembrances of Things Bass

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Adelaide   E-mail Adelaide   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Green Eggs and Rebochan:
Another problem I've been hearing about related to the flooding besides the dysentery - the waters in New Orleans and Mississipi are also infested with snakes and alligators. When the water is that high, they've pretty much got free reign.

I read that a 2 or 3 foot shark had been spotted swimming around.

--------------------
Natural selection is a beguiling counterfeiter of deliberate purpose. - Richard Dawkins

Posts: 620 | From: Alaska | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by oh pleeze:
finally, it's been posted

Oh my freaking goodness. [Eek!] [Frown]

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Adelaide:
quote:
Originally posted by Green Eggs and Rebochan:

I read that a 2 or 3 foot shark had been spotted swimming around.
A fresh water shark? Did he used to live in the lake?
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I've been wondering about the New Orleans cemetery. It is (was) above ground...news reports have mentioned bodies floating in streets and homes, but no specifics of whether or not they were hurricane victims or washed out of the cemeteries. I recall a different flood a few years back where bodies from a local cemetery were washed up into yards...that's got to be creepy.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
A coworker said the same thing about the cemeteries. I imagine all the crypts have been washed away. But wouldn't they all still be in the coffins? I don't know how much of a beating a coffin would withstand before it opened.

So sad that not only do these people have to lose their homes, jobs, cars, etc., but they also may have lost their loved ones remains.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
They surely wouldn't--mostly--still be described as bodies, would they? The cemetery tour guide said that bodies were cemented into most crypts for a year and a day, after which the bones were bagged and placed in the ossuary part of the crypt, so after a year, thanks to the climate, not a great deal is left.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Thanks Chloe, I wasn't sure how crypts worked. Unfortunately I didn't get to do a cemetery tour when we went to NO a few years ago. Hubby and daughter weren't interested. No voodoo tour either.
We missed our one chance at that, now it seems.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  16  17  18   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages