snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Crash and Burn » Bikers playing fast and loose

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bikers playing fast and loose
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Motorcycle crash fatalities are rising fast -- and it's not just the cyclists who are dying.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/highway1/la-hy-wheels29nov29,1,3765790.story

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fun with a 9mm   E-mail Fun with a 9mm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's classified as a "racing bike", why is it allowed on the road in the first place?

We have plenty of these types of bikes around here and, boy-oh-boy, I've had the crap scared outta me more than once by one of these guys weaving in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed, often narrowly missing bumpers and side-view mirrors as they fly past.

--------------------
I'm not mean, you're just a big sissy. -Happy Bunny

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.- Verbal Kint

Trespassers will be pelted with jellyfish.- Daniel Cluley

Posts: 221 | From: Bradenton, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kanazawa
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kanazawa   E-mail kanazawa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe they are correctly called "racer replicas", to distinguish them from dirt bikes, "cruisers" (Harley-type bikes) etc. A real racing bike is much too unstable for all but the most expert riders...

Slight hijack, but I ran into a car with my motorcycle when I was in college. Guy ran a redlight at a blind intersection, and I hit the side of his car doing about 40 mph. Just had time to grab the brakes, don't know if I slowed or not. It was an early 1970's Corolla. He didn't stop, but it amazed me that a 400 pound bike hitting a 2000 pound car apparently did very little damage.

--------------------
If I say it's safe to surf this beach, then it's safe to surf this beach...

Posts: 127 | From: Cupertino, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently took a motorcycle safety course (required for my license) here in Bulgaria, and I was amazed at the difference in the road test as opposed to the one I took several years ago in the USA. Basically in the US I had to answer a few written questions, ride around some pylons and that was it.
There is no written test here, but there is a really difficult 10 point road test. I've been riding off and on for 25 years and it took me a month of practice before I could pass it. In the UK and other countries the requirements for a license are even stricter.
The issue imho is driver education, not blaming the product. That motorcycle didn't break any laws, the idiot riding it did.

Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages