snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Crash and Burn » Diana death 'tragic accident' concludes inquiry.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diana death 'tragic accident' concludes inquiry.
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone," or something, concludes UK Government Inquiry.

quote:
Claims that Diana, Princess of Wales, and Dodi Fayed were murdered were unfounded, the official British police inquiry concluded today.

Setting out the results of his three-year, high-profile report into Diana's fatal car crash in Paris, Lord Stevens bluntly told reporters at a packed central London news conference: "This was a tragic accident."

The former Metropolitan police commissioner said he had found nothing to justify further inquiries with members of the royal family. He described the investigations as "wide ranging and thorough".

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard this on the news this evening. Why do I supposed Fayed will never give up on his contention that it was a murder-conspiracy though? I imagine to believe otherwise would force him to accept a measure of blame (or at least some feelings of guilt) that he doesn't want to acknowledge.

quote:
Princes William and Harry were understood to have been told of the outcome yesterday. Sources said today that they were distressed and angry after learning in full from the report of the photographers' behaviour. Pictures were taken of the princess as she lay fatally wounded while emergency workers worked to save her.
It is too bad the photographers were not charged for their behavior. At the very least I wonder if naming them would shame them? Probably not.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shoebox
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shoebox   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why do I supposed Fayed will never give up on his contention that it was a murder-conspiracy though?
Well, sure - it's the very people he's accusing that were in charge of the inquiry. To the dedicated Diana conspiracy theorist, this is the British version of the Warren commission (or maybe the official 9/11 reports).

quote:
It is too bad the photographers were not charged for their behavior. At the very least I wonder if naming them would shame them? Probably not.
I doubt it. The good news is, that they will likely never be able to profit by those photos will hit them where it really hurts.

--------------------
"Want you to know that if I had been there and they had of cooked you, I would not of eaten any." - Porkypine, Pogo

Posts: 71 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
('scuse me, it's hard getting a leg up on my high-horse)The shame of it all is that the term "accident" is affixed to the result of a high-speed chase through public streets with a drunk driver behind the wheel.

Accident? No.
A reasonable and likely outcome of high speed and drunk driving? Yes.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:

What would they be charged with? Why should they be shamed?

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Ma-humbug:
quote:

What would they be charged with?
Well, speeding and negligent driving come to mind.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Chloe said:
Well, sure - it's the very people he's accusing that were in charge of the inquiry.

Yet, earlier this year, Fayed had this to say about Stevens:

quote:
I have the greatest confidence in Lord Stevens and believe he will go wherever the evidence leads him. He is a man of great integrity and strength of character and I know that he will follow this to get to the truth.
This was at a time when Stevens was saying "We’ve got new witnesses and new forensic evidence."

Both quotes obtained from the Daily Express. Sorry. [Wink]

Yesterday, in an interview on Radio 4's Today programme, Mohammed Al-Fayed claimed that Stevens had changed his tune only after he had had a laptop stolen, and that this must mean that the security forces had discovered something with which to blackmail him into concluding that the affair was an accident.

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Headline on the Express this morning
DIANA: IT'S A WHITEWASH

No surprises there then...

From the webpage:

quote:
It is understood that the driver was an illegal immigrant in France and did not stop at the scene of the crash for fear of being deported once his status was uncovered.
Oh dear. The Express' other topic of conversation.

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that the choice of Lord Stevens to conduct the inquiry was an excellent idea. I mean, no-one's ever accused him of fudging an inquiry or assisting in a cover-up of murder by the secret services, or anything.

(Heh Heh Heh. I can make anything about Northern Ireland.)

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why should they be shamed?

They snapped photographs of a critically injured woman while she was being treated by medics, in an attempt at personal financial gain. Apparently Christie considers such behavior shameful. She's hardly alone in that.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 27 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogwater:
('scuse me, it's hard getting a leg up on my high-horse)The shame of it all is that the term "accident" is affixed to the result of a high-speed chase through public streets with a drunk driver behind the wheel.

Accident? No.
A reasonable and likely outcome of high speed and drunk driving? Yes.

IIRC neither Diana nor Dodi were wearing seat-belts.

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Why should they be shamed?

They snapped photographs of a critically injured woman while she was being treated by medics, in an attempt at personal financial gain. Apparently Christie considers such behavior shameful. She's hardly alone in that.
Exactly. In addition, their actions contributed to the accident. It is nice for them that the driver turned out to be drunk and that neither Diana nor Dodi were wearing seatbelts but the reality is there would have been no accident if these vultures had not been engaged in the high speed pursuit in the first place. All to get a few candid snaps of Diana with her lover. Ah the lengths some "journalists" will go to get a critically important story [Roll Eyes] .

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Hardly unusual behaviour, though, is it? It's just that the people that usually get snapped under such circumstances aren't famous.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
quote:

Hardly unusual behaviour, though, is it? It's just that the people that usually get snapped under such circumstances aren't famous.
Is it really common for people, famous or non-famous, to be photographed in such circumstances? I have no idea.

At any rate, Christie didn't suggest that people shouldn't be shamed for doing the same thing to non-famous people. She was commenting on a specific example that happened to involve a famous person.

ETA: Nor did anyone suggest that shameful behavior is unusual. [Wink]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Any news photographer in the world would have taken those photos. ("For money?" -- well I'm sure some of them do it because they like it but I don't think many of them are independently wealthy so, yes, they like to get paid for their work.)
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Exactly. In addition, their actions contributed to the accident. It is nice for them that the driver turned out to be drunk and that neither Diana nor Dodi were wearing seatbelts but the reality is there would have been no accident if these vultures had not been engaged in the high speed pursuit in the first place. All to get a few candid snaps of Diana with her lover. Ah the lengths some "journalists" will go to get a critically important story [Roll Eyes] .

The photographers couldn't have been involved in a high-speed pursuit if Diana's inebriated driver hadn't been running at high speed. The photographers (AFAIK) were not ramming the car, they were not shooting guns at the car, they weren't trying to kidnap Diana or Dodi. IOW, the driver had no reason to be running at high speed from them.

Would it be a better world if photographers only took pictures of celebrities at publicity events like movie premiers? Yes. Are photographers to blame for the dealths that result when a drunk driver decides to drive at ridiculous speeds? No.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
Are photographers to blame for the dealths that result when a drunk driver decides to drive at ridiculous speeds? No.

Maybe not. But if you participate in a chase (or race) at dangerous speeds and while making other driving offenses then I think you should be held partially responsible for the consequences. If you have a drag race on a public road and the other guy dies, you shouldn't be blamed for his death but you should be held responsible for participating in an activity that had fatal consequences. If the other car hits an innocent bystander in the race, the punishment should be greater.

I would rule the opposite way about taking the pictures of her death. I don't see any reason to be ashamed of doing your job. (They often pushed the limits of what's reasonable but taking pictures of news is both reasonable and normal.)

MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that the photographers' behavior could be considered stalking. Did France have laws about that at the time?
Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is anyone else wondering why the NFBSK we've spent three years and nearly £3.5 million to find out what was obvious nine years ago.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cinnamon
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinnamon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cinnamon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Because there are plenty of loons out there who can't seem to accept reality? Step forward Mr Fayed...

--------------------
My blog - a continuing obsession with my weight plus much randomness
My opinions on books, music, and other stuff

Posts: 845 | From: Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately, despite the millions of pounds spent on the inquiry those people will still not accept the truth. And that includes that Fayed idiot.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I heard this on the news this evening. Why do I supposed Fayed will never give up on his contention that it was a murder-conspiracy though? I imagine to believe otherwise would force him to accept a measure of blame (or at least some feelings of guilt) that he doesn't want to acknowledge.

quote:
Princes William and Harry were understood to have been told of the outcome yesterday. Sources said today that they were distressed and angry after learning in full from the report of the photographers' behaviour. Pictures were taken of the princess as she lay fatally wounded while emergency workers worked to save her.
But why were the photographers following them? For pictures that they would be paid well for. Why would they get paid? Because those pictures sell papers. Who buys the papers? The public. If people didn't pay for intimate details of a celebrity's life, things like this wouldn't happen.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by quiltsbypam
quote:
But why were the photographers following them? For pictures that they would be paid well for. Why would they get paid? Because those pictures sell papers. Who buys the papers? The public. If people didn't pay for intimate details of a celebrity's life, things like this wouldn't happen.

Perfectly said. As summed up in the words of Generation Sex by The Divine Comedy:

quote:
Lovers watch their backs
As hacks
In macs
Take snaps
Through telephoto lenses
Chase mercedes benzes through the night
A mourning nation weeps
And wails
But keeps
The sales
Of evil tabloids healthy

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, I'm really, really tired of people blaming the media and photogs for Diana's death. Let's not forget that the woman or her PR people called the photogs. Diana used them as much as they used her.

She and her water carriers are just pissed that she couldn't control them as she wanted.

I have no sympathy for her or others whose entire existence is due to the media, who then complain that the media cover their lives.

Pogue

--------------------

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
You know, I'm really, really tired of people blaming the media and photogs for Diana's death. Let's not forget that the woman or her PR people called the photogs. Diana used them as much as they used her.

She and her water carriers are just pissed that she couldn't control them as she wanted.

I have no sympathy for her or others whose entire existence is due to the media, who then complain that the media cover their lives.

Pogue

Is there any reason to believe she or her "water carriers" notified the media as to her whereabouts on that night? I have no respect for paparrazi whose entire livelihood is based on pursuing the famous and infamous as they go about their private lives. No one deserves to be hounded to death and as Diana's brother put it, that is exactly what happened to her.

--------------------

Pogue Ma-humbug

quote:
No one deserves to be hounded to death and as Diana's brother put it, that is exactly what happened to her.

Diana's brother was the biggest damn hypocrite in this whole thing. How much did he make off her "memorial"?

Pogue

--------------------

Pogue Ma-humbug

quote:
Is there any reason to believe she or her "water carriers" notified the media as to her whereabouts on that night?

Security at the hotel -- owned by Dodi's father -- did. And both she and Dodi could have easily avoided the press. See here.

Pogue

--------------------

Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
quote:
Is there any reason to believe she or her "water carriers" notified the media as to her whereabouts on that night?

Security at the hotel -- owned by Dodi's father -- did. And both she and Dodi could have easily avoided the press. See here.

Pogue

Which may go a long way to explain the stake Fayed has in trying to prove Diana's death was a huge conspiracy.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages