snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Crash and Burn » Teen loses breast after piercing (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Teen loses breast after piercing
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I got my nipples pierced, the ring was attached to the needle, it screwed in place using the threads that the ball went on. (I hope that made sense)

In essence, the needle went in and the ring went right with it. When the ring was through, he unscrewed the needle and attached the ball.

Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mosherette- Certification for piercers varies by state and sometimes even county. Not all areas even require a health licence, which is unfathomable to me! Although not all areas require certification, certificates are available through piercing organizations and such.

When I mentioned the girl's possible lack of aftercare instructions and such it was more meant to reassure Artemis that there is little to fear as far as ear peircing goes as long as you know what to look for in a good piercer. The OP girl was obviously uniformed. Perhaps the studio gave her bad information, but it is ultimately up to her.

I cannot understand how so many people seem to be willing to go anywhere someone puts up a neon sign and let them put needles through their body. Or worse, let friends do the piercing!

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by black roses 19:
quote:
...and a longer soak with the salt water solution.
Reading that, I visualized someone standing in front of the bathroom sink, topless, with their hands on either side and trying to lean their breasts down into the sink without slipping and falling forward. Then holding that position for a long period of time.

Thanks for that [lol]

Actually, the reality might make you laugh even more.
I had to mix up the solution in two juice glasses. Then lean over while standing, affix the glasses to my boobs (the only time I was glad to have small breasts), and hold tight and lay down-for 15 to 20 minutes.
Bonus points if the cat came over and drapped herself over my hips.

Mosherette- I supect that was the case with my friends. The usually bought the hoops in the mall, put them in whatever peircings they had, and then complained when the things caused issues.
It is possible that the piercer in the OP sold cheap crap-it happens.

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starla:
Mosherette- Certification for piercers varies by state and sometimes even county. Not all areas even require a health licence, which is unfathomable to me! Although not all areas require certification, certificates are available through piercing organizations and such.

Piercing organisations? No such thing here - the closest we have is the newly formed tattooist and piercing union, the TPI, and they've only just (like in the past month) managed to agree to standards - and they only formed a year ago, to resist regulation from the - of all things! - hairdressing and beauty industry regulating bodies.

And as for the licence required by environmental health, IIRC all they do is make sure the work surfaces are clean and test your autoclave. As long as all that's working and cleaned on the day of the inspection (which, of course, you're notified about) then you're licenced for another year. Hmmmm.

TBH, I don't trust "certificates" of competancy for piercers and tattooists. In my experience, and the experience of my friends in the business, they aren't worth the paper they're written on. You go and do a two-day course on body piercing and get a nice certificate at the end, but it tells you absolutely nothing, certainly not that the person holding the certificate is able to do each and every piercing out there. And as for tattooing [Eek!] Research, research, research is what's required before you get any kind of this type of work done.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It sounds rather like the place in the OP is expecting a pile of trouble over this, though.

quote:
Meanwhile, Neon Novelty says it cleared an inspection with the health department, the person who pierced Edington is no longer there, and that the new body piercer is certified.

It almost sounds like a back-handed admission that the teen-ager's piercing wasn't handled right.

And I didn't realize that piercing guns weren't the best way to go. I have had my ears pierced twice. The first time, back in the dark ages, they iced my ear and then stuck the earring itself through. The crunch of cartilege was lovely. So when the second piercing was done with a gun, I thought it was great. Maybe I just won't bother with that third piercing I was considering...

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think experiences with piercing guns can vary greatly.

The first time I got my ear pierced, I got a simple, small stainless steel ball at Claires. I swear to Gaia I thought the damned thing was gonna crush my ear! The ball snuggled tight against the hole, and I had to eventually yank it out because of constant issues with it.

The second time, at the same store, I got TWO piercings (same ear, side-by-side) and made sure they were BIGGER balls! No problems this time around. I'd still have them in there except I thought it would be nice to see how everything was coming along at six weeks. Half an hour out and they weren't going back in. [Frown]

I will also note that both times didn't really hurt at all. It felt like my ear got pinched hard for a second and then nothing. I just had that really obvious "there's something in my earlobe" feeling for a day or two.

I do plan on getting my ear re-repierced and will gladly accept the gun again. I will NOT take them out for a long, LONG time though. [lol]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Erin
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erin   Author's Homepage   E-mail Erin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quiltsbypam:
It sounds rather like the place in the OP is expecting a pile of trouble over this, though.

quote:
Meanwhile, Neon Novelty says it cleared an inspection with the health department, the person who pierced Edington is no longer there, and that the new body piercer is certified.

It almost sounds like a back-handed admission that the teen-ager's piercing wasn't handled right.

And I didn't realize that piercing guns weren't the best way to go. I have had my ears pierced twice. The first time, back in the dark ages, they iced my ear and then stuck the earring itself through. The crunch of cartilege was lovely. So when the second piercing was done with a gun, I thought it was great. Maybe I just won't bother with that third piercing I was considering...

Piercing guns are quite dangerous for two reasons (as mentioned); they can't be properly sterilized so they are a bacteria breading ground, and they don't have a sharp needle, just the blunt jewelry.

I know more than one person who have shattered the cartilidge in their noses by getting pierced with guns.

--------------------
I am the snake. Bite, bite, bite.

Posts: 247 | From: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla

Icon 202 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Piercing Guns Are Bad (scroll about 1/3 of the way down)

quote:
Reusable ear piercing guns can put clients in direct contact with the blood and body fluids of previous clients.

Although they can become contaminated with bloodborne pathogens dozens of times in one day, ear piercing guns are often not sanitized in a medically recognized way. Plastic ear piercing guns cannot be autoclave sterilized and may not be sufficiently cleaned between use on multiple clients. Even if the antiseptic wipes used were able to kill all pathogens on contact, simply wiping the external surfaces of the gun with isopropyl alcohol or other antiseptics does not kill pathogens within the working parts of the gun. Blood from one client can aerosolize, becoming airborne in microscopic particles, and contaminate the inside of the gun. The next client’s tissue and jewelry may come into contact with these contaminated surfaces. There is thus a possibility of transmitting bloodborne disease-causing microorganisms through such ear piercing, as many medical studies report.

As is now well known, the Hepatitis virus can live for extended periods of time on inanimate surfaces, and could be harbored within a piercing gun for several weeks or more. Hepatitis and common staph infections, which could be found on such surfaces, constitute a serious public health threat if they are introduced into even one reusable piercing gun.

quote:
Piercing guns can cause significant tissue damage.

Though slightly pointy in appearance, most ear piercing studs are quite dull. Piercings must therefore be accomplished by using excessive pressure over a larger surface area in order to force the metal shaft through the skin. The effect on the body is more like a crush injury than a piercing and causes similar tissue damage. Medically, this is referred to as “blunt force trauma.” At the least, it can result in significant pain and swelling for the client, at the most in scarring and potentially increased incidence of auricular chondritis, a severe tissue disfigurement....
When used on structural tissue such as cartilage, more serious complications such as auricular chondritis, shattered cartilage and excessive scarring are common. Gun piercings can result in the separation of subcutaneous fascia from cartilage tissue, creating spaces in which fluids collect. This can lead to both temporary swelling and permanent lumps of tissue at or near the piercing site. These range from mildly annoying to grossly disfiguring, and some require surgery to correct.

quote:
The length and design of gun studs is inappropriate for healing piercings.

Ear piercing studs are too short for some earlobes and most cartilage. Initially, the pressure of the gun’s mechanism is sufficient to force the pieces to lock over the tissue. However, once they are locked on, the compressed tissue cannot return to its normal state, is constricted and further irritated. At the least, the diminished air and blood circulation in the compressed tissue can lead to prolonged healing, minor complications and scarring. More disturbingly, the pressure of such tight jewelry can result in additional swelling and impaction. Both piercers and medical personnel have seen stud gun jewelry completely embedded in ear lobes and cartilage (as well as navels, nostrils and lips), even when pierced "properly" with a gun. This may require the jewelry to be cut out surgically, particularly in cases where one or both sides of the gun stud have disappeared completely beneath the surface of the skin. Such consequences are minimal when jewelry is custom fit to the client, allows sufficient room for swelling, and is installed with a needle piercing technique which creates less trauma and swelling.

--------------------
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay . . . Maybe I won't be as accepting of the gun. [Big Grin]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes!

--------------------
MyBandwagon

moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Those look more like navel rings or earrings than nipple rings. My friend had her nipples pierced this summer, and hers are barbells.

How do the guns work?

I remember I had my ears pierced with a gun, but I can't quite remember what the piercer used on my navel. I do know that the shop was certified by doctors to be sterile, and they used a new needle on each person, throwing the old ones away. I don't think it was a gun.

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Body piercing jewellery such as that in the picture can be worn in any hole, really. I wear such rings in the holes in my ears, my nose, I used to in my lipand... other places. Barbells are also appropriate initial jewellery for this type of piercing, however.

A piercing gun forces a blunt earring (the usual stud-type with a butterfly back) through the flesh of your earlobe and secures the butterfly very firmly to the back of the stud. It is absolutely and utterly inappropriate for navel piercing (well, any piericng IMO) and I think you'd probably remember if one was used on yours [Eek!]

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages