snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Crash and Burn » Boy avoiding girl's parents plunges 15 stories to his death (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Boy avoiding girl's parents plunges 15 stories to his death
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A spur of the moment decision cost a 16-year-old boy his life after he decided to try to lower himself out of a high-rise apartment with bedsheets to avoid get caught in the home by a female friend's parents.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1128teen-fatalfall28-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 302 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Remember kids, just because it works on T.V. doesn't mean it works in real life.

I feel bad for the kid because that has to be an awful way to die (knowing what will happen the whole way down :shudder: ), but that was really stupid. If he didn't want to get caught visiting the girl, aside from not doing it, couldn't he have hidden somewhere or maybe, I don't know, been honest about it for a second before he decided to dangle 15 stories from sheets tied together. It blows my mind how foolish some people are.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder what specific consequences he feared? Getting yelled at? Some sort of physical retribution against his girlfriend? Perhaps he was trying to protect his girlfriend.

But you're right, CFS, if his being there were that much of a danger to her, he should have protected her by not being there.

What a sad waste of a life.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"They were just hanging out," said Toronto police Det. Steve Peconi.
Bad choice of words.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hadn't caught that, trollface. Is it wrong to laugh at that a litte? Because I did.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tragic. Could his life have been saved if he had thrown mattresses, pillows, and anything else he could find that was soft out the window before he made a rope out of bedsheets and fell?

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jack Dylan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Dylan   E-mail Jack Dylan       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From 15 stories? I doubt it.

--------------------
Eppis: Do you know why being a revolutionary doesn't work in this country? Being a revolutionary in America is like being a spoil sport at an orgy. All these goodies being passed around and you feel like a shit when you say no.

Posts: 294 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MapMaker
Maximillian Andorra

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MapMaker   Author's Homepage   E-mail MapMaker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would think that a missing mattress would be pretty hard for the girl to explain. And from 15 stories, would have made little difference. Probably the only thing that would have saved that kid would have been a swimming pool, other than not being a little wuss and telling the truth.

--------------------
"I'm looking over your shoulder, but only because I've got your back" -Stephen Colbert

Posts: 468 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MapMaker:
I would think that a missing mattress would be pretty hard for the girl to explain. And from 15 stories, would have made little difference. Probably the only thing that would have saved that kid would have been a swimming pool, other than not being a little wuss and telling the truth.

"little wuss" is a rather harsh name, don't you think? Considering we don't know what the punishment could have been, from "Hey, stay away from my daughter, you punk" to his girlfriend getting hit/abused by her father from him being there (as Lainie stated above).

SW

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MapMaker
Maximillian Andorra

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MapMaker   Author's Homepage   E-mail MapMaker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YuletideWynters:
little wuss" is a rather harsh name, don't you think? Considering we don't know what the punishment could have been, from "Hey, stay away from my daughter, you punk" to his girlfriend getting hit/abused by her father from him being there (as Lainie stated above).

SW

Point taken, but as Candy From Strangers and Lainie also said, if he wanted to keep his girlfriend out of trouble, he shouldn't have been there in the first place. By deliberately defying her parents wishes then trying to escape out a window, in my book, he's a little wuss.

ETA: I don't give much sympathy for someone that breaks the rules then wonders why something bad happens. Rules are usually made for a reason. Unfortunatley, that guy learned the hard way.

--------------------
"I'm looking over your shoulder, but only because I've got your back" -Stephen Colbert

Posts: 468 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 96 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

From 15 stories, I believe, hitting that swimming pool would have the same effect as hitting the street.

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smoke
Corn on the Cobweb

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smoke     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by YuletideWynters:
little wuss" is a rather harsh name, don't you think? Considering we don't know what the punishment could have been, from "Hey, stay away from my daughter, you punk" to his girlfriend getting hit/abused by her father from him being there (as Lainie stated above).

SW

Point taken, but as Candy From Strangers and Lainie also said, if he wanted to keep his girlfriend out of trouble, he shouldn't have been there in the first place. By deliberately defying her parents wishes then trying to escape out a window, in my book, he's a little wuss.

ETA: I don't give much sympathy for someone that breaks the rules then wonders why something bad happens. Rules are usually made for a reason. Unfortunatley, that guy learned the hard way.

Yes becuase visiting his girlfriend when the parents weren't home is surely a capital crime deserving of death. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I sat on the cat. Now he is flat. Think I'll wear him outside as a hat.
'Bout time he did something useful-- an original poem by Smoke
(no cats were hurt in making this poem but one came damn close.)

Posts: 374 | From: the right side of the Detroit River Ontario | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Police say while the girl's parents were knocking on the door of their apartment, the boy and another friend tied bedsheets together and started to make their way out a bedroom window.

Gives new meaning to the term "tie-dye", doesn't it?

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MapMaker
Maximillian Andorra

quote:
Originally posted by smoke:

Yes becuase visiting his girlfriend when the parents weren't home is surely a capital crime deserving of death. [Roll Eyes] [/QUOTE]

I didn't say he deserved to DIE. I said that maybe he could have been a man about it and either showed his face to her parents and taken whatever punishment was dealt, or stayed away as they wanted him to do.

--------------------

Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Or he could have chosen to behave like--oh, I don't know--a teenage boy?

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smoke
Corn on the Cobweb

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smoke     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes becuase visiting his girlfriend when the parents weren't home is surely a capital crime deserving of death. [Roll Eyes]
I didn't say he deserved to DIE. I said that maybe he could have been a man about it and either showed his face to her parents and taken whatever punishment was dealt, or stayed away as they wanted him to do. [/QUOTE]

You said you had no sympathy for him because he broke the rules and learned the consequences the hard way. Guess he'll know better next time.

He died because he made an error in thinking he could climb 15 stories on tied sheets not because he visted his girlfriend against the rules and was punished for it with the fall by fate or karma or God. Your comment implies he died as a direct result and in punishment for breaking the visiting rule.

I'll bet a high perecentage of memebers of this board broke that rules as teenagers. I got yelled at by an angry German man for it but not killed though I think he wanted to do that.

--------------------
I sat on the cat. Now he is flat. Think I'll wear him outside as a hat.
'Bout time he did something useful-- an original poem by Smoke
(no cats were hurt in making this poem but one came damn close.)

Posts: 374 | From: the right side of the Detroit River Ontario | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cat Grey
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cat Grey   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Little Wuss" still strikes me as an odd choice of terms. I mean, it takes a certain amount of courage to climb out a 15th floor window. To me, that looks more like overconfidence than cowardice.

I say this having done a number of similarly stupid things in my brilliantly misspent youth.

Cat "condolences to the families" Grey

--------------------
"Beer assuages grief. No one tells you that." ~Arrow-Tech IV

Posts: 1612 | From: Darkest America (Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas) | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I didn't say he deserved to DIE. I said that maybe he could have been a man about it and either showed his face to her parents and taken whatever punishment was dealt, or stayed away as they wanted him to do. [/QUOTE]

I think this quote from the article says it best:

"Kids shouldn't be so scared of parents that they would risk their lives," he said. "And parents shouldn't be so strict that their kids are afraid to be honest with them."

SW

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Kids shouldn't be so scared of parents that they would risk their lives," he said. "And parents shouldn't be so strict that their kids are afraid to be honest with them."
To be fair kids (all people in fact) are good at overestimating the level of trouble/danger in certain situations involving parents/adults/authority figures.

My mother has this room in her house (as do many mothers I'd wager) thats is fully of fancy furnature and such. As a kid I was always told never to go trough there with food but to go around the long way (hard to explain, just take it as that).

So of course, one day I went running throuhg there with a full glass of fruit punch, slipped on the carpet (to be fair it wasn't properly secured to the floor with tacks or a pad) and spilled that red juice all over her fancy, white and no doubt expensive couch and carpet..

I swear, I was sure she would kill me for it and I just sat there frozen..

But of course, while she was no bout mad and gave me a huge lecture (and even now I don't bring food anywhere near that room) she was fine about it, told me how to clean it as best it could be cleaned (alot of that seltzer water) and moved on.

So maybe all this kids would have gotten was yelled at, but in thier minds it was going to be much much worse.

Of course its possible there would have been more consequences, but I'm just saying that kids being irrationally scared of their parents isn't new or even mean the parents are bad.

If anything I'd say that the prospect of sex being so dirty and evil that it was resonable for parents to be extremely angry, even violent, at the possibility of their kids having it is more of the problem we as a society seem to have.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Blue:
quote:
To be fair kids (all people in fact) are good at overestimating the level of trouble/danger in certain situations involving parents/adults/authority figures.

My mother has this room in her house (as do many mothers I'd wager) thats is fully of fancy furnature and such. As a kid I was always told never to go trough there with food but to go around the long way (hard to explain, just take it as that).

So of course, one day I went running throuhg there with a full glass of fruit punch, slipped on the carpet (to be fair it wasn't properly secured to the floor with tacks or a pad) and spilled that red juice all over her fancy, white and no doubt expensive couch and carpet..

I swear, I was sure she would kill me for it and I just sat there frozen..

But of course, while she was no bout mad and gave me a huge lecture (and even now I don't bring food anywhere near that room) she was fine about it, told me how to clean it as best it could be cleaned (alot of that seltzer water) and moved on.

So maybe all this kids would have gotten was yelled at, but in thier minds it was going to be much much worse.

Of course its possible there would have been more consequences, but I'm just saying that kids being irrationally scared of their parents isn't new or even mean the parents are bad...

Yes, I quite agree. It was a case of the kid over-reacting rather than the parents. To be honest if the kid thought his friend would be beaten because he was there, he should have not been there at all. I do not see any indication in the story that the girl was being abused by her parents.

Beach...the real problem is that the kid mad an idiotic and tragic decision...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, there's an irony here. If the kid had gotten caught, he might have gotten a lecture and would have to admit that he was wrong. So, lesson learned, he won't do it again. Sure it kind of sucks, but he'd end up a better person for it.

The other option might be that he'd have a really serious punishment, like a beating from the girl's father or something. In which case he'd have a right to sue for assault & battery, and maybe press criminal charges as well.

So either way, the end result wouldn't have been nearly as bad as dying.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stan
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan   E-mail Stan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a daughter. Either way, the kid dies...whether I catch him or if he falls trying to climb out the window.

--------------------
I did what with who???

Posts: 40 | From: Killeen, TX | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Because he would've been there without any encouragement from your daughter, of course... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So either way, the end result wouldn't have been nearly as bad as dying.
But not as good as escaping without punishment.. I don't think the kid was planning on dying, I think that was the unfortunate end result of a poorly thought-out plan.

quote:
I have a daughter. Either way, the kid dies...whether I catch him or if he falls trying to climb out the window.
I presume you are joking, at least about killing him, however why would it make you so angry? And would any of that anger be direct at your daughter as well? Even if there was no sign that they had been doing anything more then watching some TV togather?

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan   E-mail Stan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You will understand if you ever have a daughter.

--------------------
I did what with who???

Posts: 40 | From: Killeen, TX | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't speak for Mickey Blue, but if I ever have a daughter, I doubt I'll begin administering the death penalty to boys who spend time with her. I'd probably do more good for her out of jail than in it, no matter how badly I wanted to kill them.

--------------------

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MapMaker
Maximillian Andorra

Stan, I believe from what I have seen of other of Mickey Blue's posts is that he knows a lot more than you think [Smile]

--------------------

GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stan:

This should be made into a specific logical fallacy. I'd guess it is an appeal to authority, but it should have its own name, since it's used so often.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stan

"spending time with her" and being in your daughters room when you're not home and were told not top be there with the door locked and not answering it when you got home because said boyfirend didn't want to get caught fucking daddy's little girl and being scared to the point of hanging out a 15 story window are two different things. If the kid wasn't out of control to begin with he wouldn't have been hanging out the window. Let's call it "natural selection".

--------------------
I did what with who???

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We have four, and I was one.

I will put my experience up against yours any day.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stan

Oh I am SURE you have PLENTY of experience!

When you catch your 15 year old daughter getting banged by the kid that runs the drive through at burger king, let me know.

--------------------
I did what with who???

Mistletoey Chloe

What punishment will your daughter get?

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

I'm curious, Stan, do you believe your daughter was an unwilling participant in the aforementioned incident? If so, you have a case.

If not, you are being hoodwinked by your "little girl."

--------------------

Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"spending time with her" and being in your daughters room when you're not home and were told not top be there with the door locked and not answering it when you got home because said boyfirend didn't want to get caught fucking daddy's little girl and being scared to the point of hanging out a 15 story window are two different things. If the kid wasn't out of control to begin with he wouldn't have been hanging out the window. Let's call it "natural selection".

Did you read the article? There were 2 visitors, and the boy who died was not her boyfriend. It was a horrible tragedy that had nothing to do with fucking daddy's little girl.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear $DEITY, it's hard to believe that some people are allowed to be responsible for a child's life.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages