snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Crash and Burn » Two Teenager Girls Walking on Train Tracks Struck, Killed by Amtrak Train (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Two Teenager Girls Walking on Train Tracks Struck, Killed by Amtrak Train
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
There's no indication in the J-S article that they were on an overpass, trestle bridge, or other place where they could not avoid the train.

The first article linked in the OP said "The two were hit as the train passed over a highway...." and the map on the J-S site shows the spot where the accident occurred as the tracks crossed Drexel Avenue. According to the article, there are at least two sets of tracks.

I never walked on tracks and have no idea how wide or how much room beyond that needed for the tracks there is on an overpass or bridge. I do know that I was surprised at how little room there is on the ones around here when I finally got around to noticing.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Overpasses and bridges I've seen around here all have little "safe spots" every 30 meters (roughly 100 feet) around here. Unless you do not spot the train until it is literally over you and you have no physical problems that would prevent you from running, you should never die for lack of a place to get out of harm's way. Is it the norm elsewhere too?

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
There's no indication in the J-S article that they were on an overpass, trestle bridge, or other place where they could not avoid the train.

The first article linked in the OP said "The two were hit as the train passed over a highway...." and the map on the J-S site shows the spot where the accident occurred as the tracks crossed Drexel Avenue. According to the article, there are at least two sets of tracks.

I never walked on tracks and have no idea how wide or how much room beyond that needed for the tracks there is on an overpass or bridge. I do know that I was surprised at how little room there is on the ones around here when I finally got around to noticing.

If there were two sets of parallel tracks, then there would have been plenty of room on the other set of tracks.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JFB
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB   E-mail JFB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A quick look at Google Maps (satellite view) shows that the railroad bridge over Drexel Avenue, where the girls were killed, is double-tracked. In fact, the entire line is double-tracked as for far as I could follow it on Google.

Enough room for two trains to pass = enough room for one train to pass two teenagers. There's no question that they could have gotten out of the way.

Posts: 472 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's all rather the wrong question since train overpasses aren't supposed to have people walking on them.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Neither are people supposed to be walking on the rest of the right-of-way.

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
True, I'm just saying you really can't fault whoever built the train track for there not being enough room for these two to get out of the way.

Whether there was room or not is irrelevent, they shouldn't of been there.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
Whether there was room or not is irrelevent,

It's relevent if the question is whether it was suicide or an accident. I thought that was why the whole question of could they have gotten out of the way if they wanted to came up.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
True, I'm just saying you really can't fault whoever built the train track for there not being enough room for these two to get out of the way.

Whether there was room or not is irrelevent, they shouldn't of been there.

In an ideal world, nobody ever would need to get on railroad tracks. In practice, some people have to be on it once in a while (employees doing maintenance work, as an example). To have absolutely no way to protect them in case of an emergency is careless, IMHO. I don't think it is a crime, but I do believe it is very irresponsible.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oualawouzou, so far as I can see, you and Joe basically agree. Or am I mistaken?

I find I don't have a lot of sympathy for these girls because I think it's hard to sympathize with people you don't know who do stupid things.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I only mentioned the engineer as the only witness because of my assesment of his feelings of guilt and attempts to rationalize the death of the girls. It's similar to the cop who swears he saw the suspect pull a gun. Of course it was a cassette but he really wants to believe that the dead man's a gun fell into a sewer grate or something.

My bias here, maybe the engineer needs to beleive that the deceased acted with intent insted of that they were trying to cross and misjudged. It's a bit similar to my line of work wherein we beat ourselves up for each fire fatality even though the fire started before we ever arrived.

It also could be that the girls were trying to commit suicide.

- P
ETA; At the time I posted the link, the MJS site did not requre registration to see the article.

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it kind of hard to sympathize with people I dont know in the first place.. The fact that their demise came entierly by their own stupidity (ruling out suicide for the moment) just makes it moreso..

I suppose if it were from some issue I was familier with it may be different. Lets say hypothethetically a good friend of mine died by crossing the railroad tracks, it may dredge up those memories, but it woudln't really be feeling sorry for these two kids, but rather a masked feeling about my deceased friend.

I don't feel pity for these two.. Its not a system of me conciously rationing out my emotions. I didn't read about it and then sit down and get my Emotomior and calculate exactly how much of my emotional response they deserved. Its just a reaction. I hear about two people I don't know, who died by doing someging increadibly stupid (ruling out suicide for the moment) and I just feel.. Nothing.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not 'happy' they died, its more of an indifference. Two more people died.. It happens, and in this case it seems to have been their fault.

Maybe its cause I work around a good deal of death (ER and EMS) but I just don't have emotional reactions to people dying save for a few isolated situations (and of course people I know).

I don't personally think that makes me a bad person. Its just a fact of life for me. Its a shame two humans died, but I don't feel 'anything' for them.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Blue:
Don't get me wrong. I'm not 'happy' they died, its more of an indifference. Two more people died.. It happens, and in this case it seems to have been their fault.

I hate to say it, but that's kind of how I feel when I read something like this.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JFB
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB   E-mail JFB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oualawouzou:
In an ideal world, nobody ever would need to get on railroad tracks. In practice, some people have to be on it once in a while (employees doing maintenance work, as an example). To have absolutely no way to protect them in case of an emergency is careless, IMHO. I don't think it is a crime, but I do believe it is very irresponsible.

Railroads are quite careful when they know someone is on the right-of-way. Track crew, inspectors, police, or anyone with any business being there, are protected by slow orders or outright suspension of train service until their activities are complete. Unfortunately, trespassers don't generally announce their intentions. Not much a railroad can do about that other than to never run trains.

quote:
Originally posted by ParaDiddle:
It's similar to the cop who swears he saw the suspect pull a gun. Of course it was a cassette but he really wants to believe that the dead man's a gun fell down the sewer or something.

Not at all. The cop has a choice to fire at the perceived threat, whatever the justification. The engineer can do nothing but put the train into emergency, then sit there while it inevitably runs over the trespasser. Engineers do feel guilt when they strike a person, but even the most conscienced among them will admit that it wasn't their fault (see the forums at railroad.net for illustration of that).
Posts: 472 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou

quote:
Originally posted by Seaboo Muffinchucker:
Oualawouzou, so far as I can see, you and Joe basically agree. Or am I mistaken?

Maybe. I think my stance is closer to Mickey Blue's.

It's been established the girls had room to avoid collision, so there are three hypothesis:

1) Suicide. In that case, I think it's tragic, not because of how they died but because it is a suicide. Usually, it means there is a history of Very Bad Things in their lives.

2) Caught completely by surprise. In that case, I file this more under "idiot" and, like MB, feels mostly indifference towards the girls (though I feel for their families... I'm no expert, but I'd wager that stupid deaths are the second most difficult thing to accept for friends and relatives, after suicide).

3) Somehow unable to avoid collision (the example someone gave in the thread of getting their shoelaces caught in the track). This I'd file under more tragic than caught by surprise, less tragic than suicide. Yes, they shouldn't have been there in the first place, that's true, but they still didn't do much to "deserve" this death. It'd be comparable, IMHO, to someone crossing a street, falling, knocking its head on a parked car or on the ground and not coming to his senses before being ran over. He shouldn't have been in the street in the first place, but his death is the result of extremely bad luck instead of pure carelessness.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Oualawouzou

quote:
Originally posted by JFB:
quote:
It's similar to the cop who swears he saw the suspect pull a gun. Of course it was a cassette but he really wants to believe that the dead man's a gun fell down the sewer or something.

Not at all. The cop has a choice to fire at the perceived threat, whatever the justification. The engineer can do nothing but put the train into emergency, then sit there while it inevitably runs over the trespasser. Engineers do feel guilt when they strike a person, but even the most conscienced among them will admit that it wasn't their fault (see the forums at railroad.net for illustration of that).
I'd just like to point out I'm not the one who made the cop comment.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
If there were two sets of parallel tracks, then there would have been plenty of room on the other set of tracks.

D'oh! [fish]

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

JFB first of all, I don't disagree with you regarding what choices each of these individuals had at their diposal. My post (I made the cop comment) only drew parallels to how the mind perceives and remembers traumatic events. That's it, no more-no less.

- P

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

quote:
It's all rather the wrong question since train overpasses aren't supposed to have people walking on them.

Yeah, and people aren't suppose to walk along limited access highways or cross roads where there are no cross walks or swim without a lifeguard or drive without seatbelts. But they do.

--------------------

Sara at home

quote:
1) Suicide. In that case, I think it's tragic, not because of how they died but because it is a suicide. Usually, it means there is a history of Very Bad Things in their lives.

Not necessarily. A lot of people are suicidal and succeed at suicide who have no Very Bad Things in their lives. Recent gene research seems to have identified suicide genes.

Other recent studies have found that immature brains function differently than mature ones. Adolescents tend to be more impulsive, less rational than adults (over 25 in brain maturity).

I doubt anyone will ever know what was going on with these girls.

--------------------

Mickey Blue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Not necessarily. A lot of people are suicidal and succeed at suicide who have no Very Bad Things in their lives. Recent gene research seems to have identified suicide genes.

Other recent studies have found that immature brains function differently than mature ones. Adolescents tend to be more impulsive, less rational than adults (over 25 in brain maturity).

I doubt anyone will ever know what was going on with these girls.

I find suicides particularly terrible for those left behind because they will be forever questioning whether they could have done something to prevent it, or worse if they did something to promote it..

I doubt we'll ever know if this was a suicide or not, while the conductor would not be at fault in either case, by asserting to others (and himself) that it was a suicide may make it easier for him to cope, so he could be biased (intentionally or not).

--------------------

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JFB
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
quote:
quote:

That's irrelevant, sir. The question is: are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party?

Hey, worked for McCarthy. But I'll just ask you to pardon the misattribution, then edit my post accordingly.

quote:
JFB first of all, I don't disagree with you regarding what choices each of these individuals had at their diposal. My post only drew parallels to how the mind perceives and remembers traumatic events. That's it, no more-no less.

Got it. I still think that the absence of choice for the engineer skews that particular parallel, but there's no question that both are situations where one will feel tremendous guilt despite lack of fault.
Oualawouzou

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That's irrelevant, sir. The question is: are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party?

Hey, worked for McCarthy. But I'll just ask you to pardon the misattribution, then edit my post accordingly.

[lol] You are forgiven.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yeah, and people aren't suppose to walk along limited access highways or cross roads where there are no cross walks or swim without a lifeguard or drive without seatbelts. But they do.
And people aren't supposed to race trains to the crossings, poke hornets' nests with a stick, or work with wiring without shutting the power off.

But they do.

And the Darwin Awards are waiting for them all.

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But some of them do survive working with wiring without shutting off the power. Otherwise I would be a widow (with a very nice insurance settlement) instead of divorced (and nearly broke). And you claim we make our own luck? [lol]
Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I may be allowed one absurd argument a day (and an absurd hijack but this thread isn't going anywhere anyway): Why are the deaths of stupid people any less tragic than the deaths of intelligent people? Would you be any less devastated if they were, for example, your own children but they just happened to be not very bright?

If people are born stupid, and we have every reason to believe that many are, why don't we just laugh at all the people who are born with other fatal flaws, such as a bad heart or a genetic disease?

Also, isn't it just as stupid and therefore shouldn't it be just as funny when some guy with a seven figure salary dies of a heart attack becase he hasn't been eating right or exercising since he became wealthy? Why don't these cases make it to the so-called "Darwin Awards"?

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GooglyEyes
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GooglyEyes   E-mail GooglyEyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did the wealthy man get riche because he was the lawyer for the fast food places, making the assertion that fried foods do not cause heart failure? Then, it would reek of humorous irony and the weathy man who died from heart failure due to years of eating fried foods WOULD be a pretty good Darwin Award candidate.
Posts: 789 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GooglyEyes:
Did the wealthy man get riche because he was the lawyer for the fast food places, making the assertion that fried foods do not cause heart failure? Then, it would reek of humorous irony and the weathy man who died from heart failure due to years of eating fried foods WOULD be a pretty good Darwin Award candidate.

I suggest you go back and read the real "Darwin" Awards. There's barely a trace of "humorous irony" in any of them, usually just someone doing something risky and getting killed. Maybe you remember them as being far more poignant than they actually are.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

"Why don't they look? Tell me why don't they look?" +10 Point.

Joe "Oh come on now don't look at me... someone was going to reference that sooner or later" Bentley

--------------------

GooglyEyes
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GooglyEyes   E-mail GooglyEyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, back in the day, they were extremely funny. My all time favorite was a person who took the paddin off a ski lift post so they could use it as a sled. They then crashed the padding into the unguarded ski post and died on impact. Brilliant. Sorry to reminisce.
Posts: 789 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

quote:
Originally posted by GooglyEyes:
Yes, back in the day, they were extremely funny. My all time favorite was a person who took the paddin off a ski lift post so they could use it as a sled. They then crashed the padding into the unguarded ski post and died on impact. Brilliant. Sorry to reminisce.

Yes, back in that day nearly all of them were made up.
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
If I may be allowed one absurd argument a day (and an absurd hijack but this thread isn't going anywhere anyway): Why are the deaths of stupid people any less tragic than the deaths of intelligent people? Would you be any less devastated if they were, for example, your own children but they just happened to be not very bright?

I think it's because we really don't think these people are stupid. We may say it but deep down I don't think we mean it. They're ordinary people who have done something stupid. Big difference. And *that's* why this attitude of "tough noogies for them" bothers me so much. Can any of us stand here and hand on heart honestly say we've never done something stupid? Taken a risk that was a little riskier than it needed to be? Done something that in retrospect makes us seriously wonder about our sanity?

I am about the most laidback - okay timid!, unrisktakerish person you will ever meet and yet even I have had my incredibly stupid "what the hell was I thinking" moments.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
quote:
quote:

And people aren't supposed to race trains to the crossings, poke hornets' nests with a stick, or work with wiring without shutting the power off.

But they do.

And the Darwin Awards are waiting for them all.

Adding to what Ganzfeld and Christie said (or maybe actually repeating it): These are average people doing pretty normal things. Foolish things, dangerous things, but not unusual things. Look how many people in this thread have admitted to doing exactly those things. I don't think that indicates they are particularly stupid. And their deeds certainly don't rise to the level of Darwin Awards. Just too common and ordinary.

--------------------

Mickey Blue

quote:
"Why don't they look? Tell me why don't they look?" +10 Point.

Joe "Oh come on now don't look at me... someone was going to reference that sooner or later" Bentley

And its not just trains you gotta watch out for, but laundry and sandwiches as well..

quote:
I doubt very much it would matter what the circumstances of your own childs death were, I have no doubt you'd feel very sad.

As for people viewing stupidity as worse.. Well aside from the 'black humor' about it (darwin awards and all) its really just about context. Much like somebody who dies rescuing children and puppies from a burning orphenage is considered more heroic then somebody who has a massive MI while watching Looney Toons in his underware at 1PM (my preferred way to go mind you), people who die on a train track are going to be viewed differnetly then somebody who dies by falling down the stairs. Its just human nature.

quote:
If people are born stupid, and we have every reason to believe that many are, why don't we just laugh at all the people who are born with other fatal flaws, such as a bad heart or a genetic disease?
I don't think people are born stupid, beyond actual mental deficiancies which these girls don't appear to have I think people sort of start out on a similar level. Some are better then ohters but all seem to be on the same playing field.

Now while you could argue alot of things are stupid but understandable, I think that not understanding that walking on a railroad track carries with it the risk of being hit by a train is somewhat reckless. And yes, we have all done stupid things, and if we had died doing them somebody reading the news about it a world apart would probobly go "Pfft.. What an idiot", and rightly so.

quote:
Also, isn't it just as stupid and therefore shouldn't it be just as funny when some guy with a seven figure salary dies of a heart attack becase he hasn't been eating right or exercising since he became wealthy? Why don't these cases make it to the so-called "Darwin Awards"?
Eh, possibly because its simply not original enough to be eye catching, but mostly because generally the darwin award is supposed to be about removing yourself from the gene pool (although it has been very corrupted over the years) thus it gets awarded to younger people who kick the bucket.

Also while not smart, I would not equate eating poorly to walking down the railroad tracks.

--------------------

Ganzfeld

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Blue:
...Its just human nature.

Sounds like a copout to me.
quote:
Eh, possibly because its simply not original enough to be eye catching, but mostly because generally the darwin award is supposed to be about removing yourself from the gene pool (although it has been very corrupted over the years) thus it gets awarded to younger people who kick the bucket.
I don't know which part to criticize because the whole paragraph is, frankly, laughable. The "Darwin Awards" have always been a collection of whatever urban legends and accidental death stories can be jazzed up to make them look extremely foolish. It has never had anything to do with any "gene pool" and it makes me chuckle to think that anyone believes this purported reason for the awards enough to say that it has "become corrupted over the years". (If anything, the current awards are vetted a little more seriously for veracity but, as I mentioned above, now most of the stories are of garden variety stupidity or foolishness.) Do you believe pro wrestling too?
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages