snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Crash and Burn » Man not allowed to drive drunk killed walking home

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Man not allowed to drive drunk killed walking home
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 06 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A man walking home after his 55th birthday party because friends and family believed he was too drunk to drive was struck and killed by another vehicle.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1108BirthdayFatality08-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The guy was pissed as a newt and walking in the road in the middle of the night and they still might press charges on the driver? [Confused]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why did they let him walk home, anyway? "Friends and family" will generally offer a ride or call a cab. Or they should, anyway. I know I would.

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They didn't let him walk - he apparently wandered out saying he was going for a smoke and took it upon himself to stagger home. It's a sad story but it strikes me that it's nobody's fault but his own...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
happyholidaysfrog
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happyholidaysfrog   Author's Homepage   E-mail happyholidaysfrog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry I have no sympathy for the man. A place for him to stay was arranged and if he really didn't want to stay he could have asked his friends or family for a ride and I'm sure if there had been any sober enough to drive they would have given it to him, there was no reason for him to walk home.

I feel alot of sympathy for his family and the poor woman who hit and killed him.

Good for them (friends and family) for not letting him D&D. He could have killed innocent people driving home in such an intoxicated state. It's tragic that he died, but not as tragic as it would have been if he had taken innocent people with him.

--------------------
~All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream~
E.A.Poe

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
~James Dean~

Posts: 516 | From: Anderson, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
The guy was pissed as a newt and walking in the road in the middle of the night and they still might press charges on the driver? [Confused]

Was she driving too fast? Something horrible happened due to the drunk man's behavior, but her breaking the law might have contributed to the horrible thing happening too. If she wasn't speeding, wasn't drunk herself or otherwise breaking a law, then it was an unfortunate accident.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, drivers are generally expected to be avoid hitting pedestrians, even when they do stupid things.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wizard of Yendor:
quote:

Well, drivers are generally expected to be avoid hitting pedestrians, even when they do stupid things.
And the article didn't say he was in the middle of the road -- it said he was hit in the eastbound lane of the road. On a rural road with no sidewalks and a narrow shoulder, a pedestrian may have to walk on the edge of the road. The expectation is that a driver will steer around the pedestrian. Such roads aren't intended or designed for pedestrian traffic, but unless they're limited-access highways, pedestrian traffic is not prohibited.

Of course, since he was drunk, his behavior contributed to the accident. But as Ouwalawazoo points out, there may have been contributing factor's on the driver's part, too.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by happyfrog:
I'm sorry I have no sympathy for the man. A place for him to stay was arranged and if he really didn't want to stay he could have asked his friends or family for a ride...

I think the "being drunk" thing pretty much had to do with the poor decision making on his part to wander away. One bad decision on his part (wandering away, into the street; points though for not driving!) and SPLAT! street pizza.

I feel bad for all involved.

SW

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages