snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Crash and Burn » Woman with child jumps from luxury high-rise

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Woman with child jumps from luxury high-rise
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 15 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A woman holding an infant jumped from a window of her high-rise apartment in downtown Boston, killing both of them as they crashed onto a small roof 17 floors below.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0721fall-death21-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How sad. Can post partum depression last 14 months? Or occur when the child is that old?

guru

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
from familydoctor.org

quote:
How long does postpartum depression last?
It's hard to say. Some women feel better within a few weeks, but others feel depressed or "not themselves" for many months. Women who have more severe symptoms of depression or who have had depression in the past may take longer to get well. Just remember that help is available and that you can get better.

So, it's possible to have lasted 14 months. If she had had depressive periods before, then perhaps she could have suffered from postpartum depression that long.

Skye

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ouch My Ankle
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is an article from the Boston Globe. I don't understand. Why would she jump with her child? Wouldn't she want her child to be safe?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ouch My Ankle:
Here is an article from the Boston Globe. I don't understand. Why would she jump with her child? Wouldn't she want her child to be safe?

If she has postpartum psychosis, she may well have thought this was the only way to keep her child safe.

There is no way to rationalize the thoughts of someone who is irrational.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ouch My Ankle:

Postpartum depression is a really serious illness, and unfortunately, in extreme cases, infanticide sometimes happens. Take the case of Andrea Yates for example. She'd been suffering from postpartum depression ever since the birth of her second to last child. Unfortunately, she never was properly treated for it and in her despair she thought that killing all of her children was the only way to "save" them.

Here is a page with lots of information on the subject of post-partum depression.

Bottom line, women suffering from this, and especially from extreme cases, are not thinking logically or rationally and are certainly capable of harming children that they normally would love and adore and do anything to protect. It's quite sad. [Frown]

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This occurred right around the corner from where I work. The building is staffed by people working for my company (concierge service). One of my co-workers was walking by the building when it happened, and didn't even realize what had occurred until several hours later when a delivery person informed him.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ouch My Ankle
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 06 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
If she has postpartum psychosis, she may well have thought this was the only way to keep her child safe.

There is no way to rationalize the thoughts of someone who is irrational.

Wow. I just looked up postpartum psychosis. How terrible.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bela Drosmorr 100
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bela Drosmorr 100   E-mail Bela Drosmorr 100   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
God, what a tragedy.

I wonder if anyone had seen the symptoms of depression before she took her own life. And if so, why didn't they get her treatment?

It just makes me feel so sick to think that something this horrible could have been prevented.

--------------------
But that's ok, darling, because I love you. And that's why you have to let me eat your brains. -- Return of the Living Dead

Posts: 767 | From: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bela Drosmorr 100:
I wonder if anyone had seen the symptoms of depression before she took her own life. And if so, why didn't they get her treatment?

It's not that easy to get treatment for someone who doesn't want treatment, usually because they don't or won't recognize that there's a problem.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SchmooPie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SchmooPie   E-mail SchmooPie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If only she had met Tom Cruise the day before. [Smile]

--------------------
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
- C. G. Jung

Posts: 243 | From: Marina del Rey, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mrs. Chicopea
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs. Chicopea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This local article gives more information including stating that the child was only 9 months old. It also touches on something I had heard on our local news regarding the husband's parents visiting. What I had heard was that the wife and the in-laws were at odds and that is why the husband had driven them to a hotel that evening. I'm wondering if on top of PPD there were some family issues present. Not just with the in-laws, but with the husband. It's hard to say as we don't know what her suicide notes said and she isn't here to speak for herself. Not that any of that excuses what happened, but it may give insight into her frame of mind.

I'll have to find more information regarding the family issue part.

--------------------
Don't judge someone unless you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then, if you still don't like them, it's ok! You'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes.

Posts: 1300 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor souls. [Frown]

I always find it heartbreaking to hear about incidents like this. I've worked with many women in the past who were suffering from post partum psychosis and some had a very flimsy grasp on reallity. Frightened and vulnerable they would experience even the slightest stress as catastrophic. Sadly this condition can persist for many years although with treatment and support they usually respond sooner.

Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages