snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Politics Archive » Clinton Legacy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clinton Legacy
Luminus
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luminus   E-mail Luminus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
- The only president ever impeached on grounds of personal malfeasance
- Most number of convictions and guilty pleas by friends and associates*
- Most number of cabinet officials to come under criminal investigation
- Most number of witnesses to flee country or refuse to testify
- Most number of witnesses to die suddenly
- First president sued for sexual harassment.
- First president accused of rape.
- First first lady to come under criminal investigation
- Largest criminal plea agreement in an illegal campaign contribution case
- First president to establish a legal defense fund.
- First president to be held in contempt of court
- Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions
- Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions from abroad

The Clinton Legacy

Posts: 66 | From: Beaumont, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Luminus,

Welcome to the boards. But I can't help noticing that your posting pattern seems very strange. You first posted on September 20th, and have started TEN new topics, each of which has been quite short-lived, and several of which have been chowed. Other than that, you have two posts and a waffle; you don't seem even to follow up your own threads. So I'm wondering if you're really in this for the discussion.

ETA: Make that eleven new topics. One more as I was typing this post.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Luminus
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luminus   E-mail Luminus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
Hi Luminus,

Wecome to the boards. But I can't help noticing that your posting pattern seems very strange. You first posted on September 20th, and have started TEN new topics, each of which has been quite short-lived, and several of which have been chowed. Other than that, you have two posts and a waffle; you don't seem even to follow up your own threads. So I'm wondering if you're really in this for the discussion.

ETA: Make that eleven new topics. One more as I was typing this post.

Just wondering which if any of these are true. Thanks for the warm welcome.
Posts: 66 | From: Beaumont, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Luminus, it helps if you include your questions with your original post.

Re the impeachment statement, how far does the proceeding have to go to be considered a "successful" impeachment? There have only been two presidents impeached. I think this is weasel worded to make sure it's applicable only to Clinton.

I also think you could come up with a list like this for every president since and including Washington (well, maybe not for WH Harrison. He only had 18 days for things to get mucked up), by focusing solely on bad things.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oprockwell
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
Luminus, it helps if you include your questions with your original post.

Re the impeachment statement, how far does the proceeding have to go to be considered a "successful" impeachment? There have only been two presidents impeached. I think this is weasel worded to make sure it's applicable only to Clinton.

I also think you could come up with a list like this for every president since and including Washington (well, maybe not for WH Harrison. He only had 18 days for things to get mucked up), by focusing solely on bad things.

Seaboe

I agree. we focus entirely too much on the negative. The thing I like best about BC is his refusal to quit. I can endure alot of hell by that example. just knowing that he had much self inflicted pain but hung in there and didn't let 'em run him off. It is impressive by any measure.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 108 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
First president accused of rape.
Not, alas, the last:

http://www.counterpunch.org/carter1220.html

quote:
First first lady to come under criminal investigation
Not even close:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/laura.asp

(Granted, this happened long before Laura Bush became First Lady, but some of the other items on the cited list involve events that supposedly occurred well before Clinton became President.)

quote:
The only president ever impeached on grounds of personal malfeasance
a) "Personal malfeasance" isn't grounds for impeachment.

b) The statement is meaningless since all acts for which a President could be impeached are, essentially, examples of "personal malfeasance."

What the original statement really means to say is "First President to be impeached over non-political behavior."

quote:
Most number of witnesses to die suddenly
In fact, 100% of the people involved in President Andrew Johnson's impeachment trial are dead, and I have it on good authority that most of them died "suddenly."

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oprockwell

100%? How could this have happened? Is there going to be an investigation or just another cover-up?

How many of Johnson's people worked at the Rose Law Firm? Did old hickory dabble in cattle futures? This gets dirtier and dirtier.

Where was Johnson when Vince Foster committed "suicide?" Already dead you say? A likely story.

op"love-a-good-conspiracy"rockwell

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Old Hickory was Jackson, not Johnson.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oprockwell

quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
Old Hickory was Jackson, not Johnson.

err, ah. yeah. I, umm, knew that.

Look over there!

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A-waffle-cleverly-disguised-as-an-edit

But, yeah....Clinton's body count...whoo-boy! He's a bad, bad man!

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oprockwell

'K. Whats a waffle?

And I don't think any president has US Grant beat for body count. Man he could do some killin'. Well, I mean he tamed it after the election and all.

chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oprockwell:
'K. Whats a waffle?

Top of the page, FAQ, rule 9.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
'K. Whats a waffle?

And I don't think any president has US Grant beat for body count. Man he could do some killin'. Well, I mean he tamed it after the election and all.

Andy Jackson killed himself a lot of folk. Of course, they were injuns*, so, well, you know...

The use by this poster of a derogatory term for Aboriginal Americans is in no way indicative of this poster's feelings, opinions, thoughts, and actions toward Aboriginal Americans. It was a term used exclusively for comic purpose. This post is a work of fiction (except for the deaths for which Andrew Jackson was responsible), and, with the exception of Andrew Jackson and Aboriginal Americans, names, characters, and events are entirely the product of this poster's imagination.

--------------------

zakor

quote:
a) "Personal malfeasance" isn't grounds for impeachment.

Yeah...I think this guy got this from newsmax or from freerepublic.
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I notice an asterisk after the first one.
quote:
- Most number of convictions and guilty pleas by friends and associates*
Wonder what that referred to.

Ah, here it is.
quote:
** According to our best information, 40 government officials were indicted or convicted in the wake of Watergate. A reader computes that there was a total of 31 Reagan era convictions, including 14 because of Iran-Contra and 16 in the Department of Housing & Urban Development scandal. 47 individuals and businesses associated with the Clinton machine were convicted of or pleaded guilty to crimes with 33 of these occurring during the Clinton administration itself.
Note that Nixon is only represented by Watergate. Does that include his Vice President and those little problems? And Reagan's only covers two scandals that occurred during his Presidency. Both of those Presidents' scandals involved high ranking officials within their administration. But Clinton's cover his entire political life -- his machine -- and any dirt they could dig up no matter what the connection. That's nothing more than intellectual dishonesty -- better known as spin.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Luminus
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
'K. Whats a waffle?

waf·fle2 (wŏf'əl) Informal.

v., -fled, -fling, -fles.

v.intr.
To speak or write evasively.

v.tr.
To speak, write, or act evasively about.

n.
Evasive or vague speech or writing.

[Probably frequentative of obsolete waff, to yelp, probably of imitative origin.]

waf'fler n.
waf'fling·ly adv.
waf'fly adj.

quote:
Yeah...I think this guy got this from newsmax or from freerepublic.
The link to where i got it is on the original post.
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luminus:
quote:
'K. Whats a waffle?

waf·fle2 (wŏf'əl) Informal.

v., -fled, -fling, -fles.

v.intr.
To speak or write evasively.

v.tr.
To speak, write, or act evasively about.

n.
Evasive or vague speech or writing.

[Probably frequentative of obsolete waff, to yelp, probably of imitative origin.]

waf'fler n.
waf'fling·ly adv.
waf'fly adj.

Sorry, Luminus, but that has absolutely nothing to do with what "waffle" means on this board.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DarkDan's ULMB Lingo

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

quote:
Originally posted by Luminus:
The link to where i got it is on the original post.

The link to where that came from is in my post.

--------------------

Luminus
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
Sorry, Luminus, but that has absolutely nothing to do with what "waffle" means on this board.

Four Kitties

Gotcha. Thanks.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages