snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Politics Archive » Jebb Bush's Spirit Guardian

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jebb Bush's Spirit Guardian
forteanajones
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 207 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all. First post here. According to various sources, Jebb Bush (and apparently his dad) has a dedicated guardian spirit named Chang.

quote:
September 18. 2005
After more than an hour of solemn ceremony naming Rep. Marco Rubio, R-West Miami, as the 2007-08 House speaker, Gov. Jeb Bush stepped to the podium in the House chamber last week and told a short story about "unleashing Chang," his "mystical warrior" friend.

Here are Bush's words, spoken before hundreds of lawmakers and politicians:
"Chang is a mystical warrior. Chang is somebody who believes in conservative principles, believes in entrepreneurial capitalism, believes in moral values that underpin a free society.

"I rely on Chang with great regularity in my public life. He has been by my side and sometimes I let him down. But Chang, this mystical warrior, has never let me down."

Bush then unsheathed a golden sword and gave it to Rubio as a gift.

"I'm going to bestow to you the sword of a great conservative warrior," he said, as the crowd roared.

The crowd, however, could be excused for not understanding Bush's enigmatic foray into the realm of Eastern mysticism.

We're here to help.

In a 1989 Washington Post article on the politics of tennis, former President George Bush was quoted as threatening to "unleash Chang" as a means of intimidating other players.

The saying was apparently quite popular with Gov. Bush's father, and referred to a legendary warrior named Chang who was called upon to settle political disputes in Chinese dynasties of yore.

The phrase has evolved, under Gov. Jeb Bush's use, to mean the need to fix conflicts or disagreements over an issue. Faced with a stalemate, the governor apparently "unleashes Chang" as a rhetorical device, signaling it's time to stop arguing and start agreeing.

No word on if Rubio will unleash Chang, or the sword, as he faces squabbles in the future.
The Gainesville Sun, "Compiled from reports by Joe Follick and Lloyd Dunkelberger of the Sun Tallahassee Bureau."

I have heard speculation that this may have something to do with Kwai Chang Caine, also known as "Grasshopper", a "mystical Chinese warrior who wandered the old west." If so, why the heck would the Bush clan attach themselves to that rather than something of a more Western European origin which one would expect to be more alligned to their true heritage and ancestry?

I've also heard that this mutated from a 1950 anti-Communist term referring to Ciang Kai-Shek. Google searches seem to lean both ways, and perhaps closer to the latter explanation.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I don't see how it's any different than Bill Clinton "unleashing Wang" every now and then during his Presidency. [lol]

Chang, unleashed:  -

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If Jeb Bush starts giving speeches in Klingonese, I wouldn't know whether to be amused or worried...

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lotta Palaver
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Lotta Palaver         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Felessan:
If Jeb Bush starts giving speeches in Klingonese, I wouldn't know whether to be amused or worried...

I wish George Bush would give speaches in Klingon. Maybe he'll have a better chance of correctly pronouncing "nuclear" in that language. [Roll Eyes] Doubt it, though.

(I know that's a Vulcan up there, so don't get on my case!)

--------------------
Your ultimate source of superfluous flummery.

Posts: 595 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LtColCarter
Raiders of the Lost Shark

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LtColCarter     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope, it's a Klingon.

--------------------
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage. Lao Tzu

Posts: 1544 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Winged Monkey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winged Monkey         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a note on Kwai Chang Caine -- that guy's not of Eastern origin at all.... he's David Caradine (though Bruce Lee is supposed to have thought up the idea), and he's not mystical either, rather a cynical Hollywood exploitation of the 70's interest in Kung Fu and the endless reanimation of the all American Western.

If Jeb is being spoken to by a "Chang" I really hope it's not one whose been so long in syndication.

-Winged Monkey (That's Jebus on the TV!)

Posts: 536 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Stew:
Well, I don't see how it's any different than Bill Clinton "unleashing Wang" every now and then during his Presidency. [lol]

Difference is, Bill's wang is real, not imaginary.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
quote:
Originally posted by First of Stew:

Difference is, Bill's wang is real, not imaginary.
A fact I have no doubt you can personally verify.

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Stew:A fact I have no doubt you can personally verify.
How very ummm....tasteful? [Roll Eyes]

P&LL, Syl

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. — Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages