snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Politics Archive » What happened to Jean-Bertrand Aristide?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What happened to Jean-Bertrand Aristide?
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He claims he was kidnapped by the United States, the United States claims he went willingly. His guards say they're protecting him, he says they're holding him captive.

Aristide says, "The world must know it was a coup. I was kidnapped. I was forced out. That's what happened. I did not resign. I did not go willingly. I was forced to go."

Colin Powell says he's just making stuff up: "He was not kidnapped. We did not force him onto the airplane. He went on the airplane willingly and that's the truth."

It sounds rather fishy. When one person says he's being kidnapped and the alleged kidnapper says they're just out for a stroll, it's hard not to give the supposed kidnapee some credence. Still, I don't doubt that Aristide is rather corrupt, so it's hard to know how far to trust him.

What's everybody else think? Do you buy his story, or Powell's? Or are they both imbellished?

[Actually, since the fact that he's made the claim is not disputed, this should be in Soap Box Derby instead of here. Sorry.]

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gnome
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gnome   E-mail gnome   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember hearing on "Democracy Now" that some of his supporters sent a plane to pick him up where he is being held, challenging them to release him if he truly was not a captive.

Unfortunately it was a while ago and so I can't find a link... anyone know more?

Posts: 418 | From: New Port Richey, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Rubber Chicken
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rubber Chicken   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a feeling they are both telling half the truth. He was probably "politely nudged" onto a plane and taken from Haiti. That or the U.S. "strongly suggested" that he relinquish power and leave.

--------------------
Visit my blog, Websurdity... the Weird, the Bizarre, the Silly, the Absurd.

Posts: 716 | From: Seoul, South Korea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages