snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Politics Archive » Hide the button

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hide the button
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 37 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I heard decades ago that the US military cut certain lines to the
White House during the Nixon impeachment - because they feared he was now
mentally unstable and would press the Button.

I *think* it was an old Newsweek article or something. Could this possibly
be true?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
brkid1
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: I heard decades ago that the US military cut certain lines to the
White House during the Nixon impeachment - because they feared he was now
mentally unstable and would press the Button.

I *think* it was an old Newsweek article or something. Could this possibly
be true?

[Roll Eyes]

Uh, no. There is no magic "button" for the POTUS to use when authorizing use of America's nuclear arsenal. There is set standard of communication and authentication used in order to prevent launch accidentally or by someone who is mentally unstable. A two-person system is used on all launch platforms e.g. bomber, ICBM, submarine to prevent the "madman" scenario.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As I remember it, during the very last days of the Nixon administration, special orders were issued (but by whom?) ordering the military to double check any orders to action.

There was some serious concern that he might go nuts and order a launch or invasion or something.

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OH MY! I just watched "Dr. Strangelove" last night. Gen. Jack Ripper (!) was the nutzo. Interesting, although the movie was "comedy", it did address several points - one, that a ranking military officer had the authority to order a retaliatory strike if the normal command is disabled. Two, if you tighten your protocol too much, there is no going back.

I realize it is fiction, of course, but I suspect it raised conciousness in the '60s about how things could get out of hand. I'm sure if Nixon's mental state was in question that the themes in this movie were discussed in dark corners of the military and administration.

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread immediately makes me think of the episode of "The Simpsons" where Homer runs for the office of Sanitation Commissioner.

"Do we really want old man Patterson with his finger on the button?"

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages