snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Politics Archive » Karl Rove, Nazi grandchild

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Karl Rove, Nazi grandchild
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 18 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Come on now, please tell us what millions of Americans are
wanting to know. Was Karl Rove's grandfather a Gauleiter of the Nazi Party
in his home town and help in the construction of a death camp? This should
have already been investigated. It has been widely published that he was,
now please verify this and let the world know. Please do this!

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cdclagett
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cdclagett   E-mail cdclagett   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly what difference would it make whether or not Roves' grandfather was a Nazi or not?
Posts: 2 | From: WCW Special Forces | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heck, Arnold Schwartzanegger's father was a Nazi...and look how he turned out!

(I have ancestors on both sides of the 100 Years' War...)

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Open Mike Night
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Open Mike Night     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dr. Wernher von Braun was a Nazi, look how he turned out!

--------------------
On the crusade to eliminate Moral Asshattery wherever it exists
Member: AAMAH

Posts: 2940 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heck, the pope was a member of the Hitler Youth...

Besides, this isn't Qo'noS...

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barky, the Wonder Log
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a descendant of Jesse James on my mom's side. Good thing I don't live close to any trains.

Barky, the "in my own particular idiom" Wonder Log

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Knowing whether Karl Rove's grandfather was a Nazi really is significant. As we all know, if we're related to someone, we must be just like them. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl Rove's grandfather was Vidkun Quisling?

(Not likely the German Josef Terboven.)

ETA: Discussed here and here. Rove is of Norwegian, not German descent.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Panda_Marie

When I was growing up, the sweetest old German man lived down the street from me. He lived all alone (his wife had died) with his cat, and I would always go to his house to help him out with little odd jobs and such.

When I was in the fifth grade they deported him because it turned out he was Nazi during the war. It was all over the news and everything.

My dad's side of the family is Jewish, and there were relatives of mine that were killed in the concentration camps. This being said, I think deporting him was horrible.

I don't think people quite realize that it wasn't always a choice...that doesn't make it right, but there it is.

He was a sweet old man, and I still miss him to this day.

Sorry for the hijack, but I think this Nazi stuff gets a little out of hand from time to time, and this is just another example of it.

Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lydia Oh Lydia:
Knowing whether Karl Rove's grandfather was a Nazi really is significant. As we all know, if we're related to someone, we must be just like them. [Roll Eyes]

Well, I wouldn't be so hasty as to say it doesn't. For example, I'm distantly descended from John Philip Holland, and I just can't stop with the inventing submarines to drive the British out of Ireland.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Panda_Marie

quote:
Originally posted by Dara:
quote:

Well, I wouldn't be so hasty as to say it doesn't. For example, I'm distantly descended from John Philip Holland, and I just can't stop with the inventing submarines to drive the British out of Ireland.
Dara, really...isn't it getting just a little out of hand, now? It was one thing when you were doing it as a hobby on weekends, but now it seems to have taken over your whole life!

I'm worried, Dara.

Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Panda_Marie:
quote:
quote:

Dara, really...isn't it getting just a little out of hand, now? It was one thing when you were doing it as a hobby on weekends, but now it seems to have taken over your whole life!

I'm worried, Dara.

Look, I can stop inventing submarines any time I like! I just don't see why I should have to. I mean, it's not like it hurts anyone (except of course the British, who I intend to drive from Ireland. Incidentally, once I've managed that, I've got something to say about the sovereignty of the Isle of Man. Look out, Albion!)

And, seriously, there was no need for the Intervention and I am not going to any of those meetings. It's not me has the problem.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Panda_Marie

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm worried, Dara.

Look, I can stop inventing submarines any time I like! I just don't see why I should have to. I mean, it's not like it hurts anyone (except of course the British, who I intend to drive from Ireland. Incidentally, once I've managed that, I've got something to say about the sovereignty of the Isle of Man. Look out, Albion!)

And, seriously, there was no need for the Intervention and I am not going to any of those meetings. It's not me has the problem.

WHERE DID I GO WRONG?!

*sobs uncontrollably*

Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When I was in the fifth grade they deported him because it turned out he was Nazi during the war. It was all over the news and everything.

I don't think people quite realize that it wasn't always a choice...that doesn't make it right, but there it is.

I get the vibe that being a Nazi in Germany during that time was akin to being a Communist in the Soviet Union before it fell. It wasn't necessarily required, but it was probably a good idea, even if you didn't necessarily subscribe to their views.

If the person was involved in the holocaust, that's one thing, but being a member of the ruling party in that situation doesn't necessarily make one evil.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Panda_Marie

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Furious:
quote:

I get the vibe that being a Nazi in Germany during that time was akin to being a Communist in the Soviet Union before it fell. It wasn't necessarily required, but it was probably a good idea, even if you didn't necessarily subscribe to their views.

If the person was involved in the holocaust, that's one thing, but being a member of the ruling party in that situation doesn't necessarily make one evil.

That's what I meant by "not always a choice". If you're threatened, you're not being given much of a choice.

I don't remember what level of involvement he had, but I remember it not being very much.

Noemi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Furious:

That's the best way to describe it. There was even a designation on the paperwork for de-Naziisation that indicated that someone had joined the party because the had to. In Opa's cas I believe he had to join because he was in the military, I know he definitely did not share the party's views.

I guess that makes me a Nazi grandchild, doesn't it?

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages