snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Politics Archive » Did the president give the finger to the media?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did the president give the finger to the media?
kieranmullen
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 208 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I could not find this in the system and there is a large debte wether or not it was the pointer finger or the middle finger.

Ideas?

Thanks

Kieran Mullen

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It was on Fark.com & democraticunderground.com Thurday or Friday To me it looked like his index finger.

here's a video clip

Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thought this thread was going to be about this little gem:

-

Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chickee Daizy
Live and Let Madai

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chickee Daizy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To me it looked like a thumbs up.

And BlueStar, I thought this thread was about the clip you provided as well! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkies...They don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posts: 907 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, in the lnked thread, he surely does look like he's giving the middle finger. His hand does not seem twisted in any way.

As for Blue Star's clip, where did that come from?

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe he went jogging up the jogging ramp past the Theodore Roosevelt Island and saw his favorite park bench.

"ARREST JEW PUPPET BUSH!"

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whaaaaaaaaaa...???

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It looked like he was holding up his index finger to me. It's hard to tell though.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone if the sun don't shine:
As for Blue Star's clip, where did that come from?

From a camera test. The longer version (with audio) has him joking around with the staff.

ETA: a longer version

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with STF, I think it was his index finger as well and our late night speaker was kidding around as he always does with the media news.

DesertRat, I was just kidding about Bush jogging but I wasn't kidding as there is a bench out there with him being called a Jew Puppet. If your in DC Arlington VA, park your car at the Theodore Roosevelt Island parking area and go up the ramp crossing into the next park. Few meters up ahead is a park bench that reads "ARREST JEW PUPPET BUSH". There's another marking just up the hill on a lamppost that says the same thing with a nazi insignia as well.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...... okay. It makes sense now.

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kieranmullen

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So where did this come from? This is the first I have seen of it...

quote:
Originally posted by BlueStar:
Thought this thread was going to be about this little gem:

-

BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Read Jason's post three above yours, Kieran.
Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Panda_Marie

If it IS the index finger, why would he be holding it up like that?

Just throwing that out there...

sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Panda_Marie:

It was just before or after the CAFTA vote last week a reporter asked a question about it and President Bust either gave a thumbs up or the #1 index finger. He did not flip anyone off
Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Originally posted by sherri_lu:
President Bust

Is the deficit that bad? [Big Grin]
Panda_Marie

quote:
Originally posted by sherri_lu:
quote:
Originally posted by Panda_Marie:

It was just before or after the CAFTA vote last week a reporter asked a question about it and President Bust either gave a thumbs up or the #1 index finger. He did not flip anyone off
No need to get defensive...I never said that he did. I was just throwing something out there.

Personally, it looks a little too awkward to be an index finger. And since I would LIKE to believe our Commander in Chief wouldn't be stupid enough to flip someone off with cameras around, I'm just going to tell myself that he's giving a thumbs up.

Daisy75

OK...lets play "count the fingers." If you look at the pic (assuming it hasn't been modified), start at the outer edge of Bush's hand. There's his pinky, his ring finger, and then the MIDDLE FINGER--the one sticking up, and then the index finger and finally his thumb. This isn't difficult. At first glance, it could be mistaken for an index finger, but and the "thumb-side" of his hand IS a little bit blurry, but if you count the fingers, it's really not that difficult
Panda_Marie

It's too blurry to REALLY be able to count. I finally got around to watching the video, as oppose to looking at the picture, and it is definetly not an index finger.

I'm not one to give Bush points on anything, but I'm still going with a thumbs up. Again, I would LIKE to believe that the man running our nation isn't SO immature that he would flip the middle finger like that. And from the way his hand went up, it still looks like a thumbs up.

Why could have thrown the goat and made this whole thing a hell of a lot more simple.

Panda "a phone rings in Hell" Marie

tetsuo_the_great
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 82 posted      Profile for tetsuo_the_great   E-mail tetsuo_the_great   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
it looks like he is much younger. maybe he was pissed off at the media for talking about his father's involvement in iran contra or his brother neil's invovement in the savings and loan scandal. if that was the case he wouldn't need to care about that because he wasn't prez.
Posts: 45 | From: Springfield, MO | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clayton

Icon 108 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a link to the video...

You can make up your own mind about it.

http://images.indymedia.org/imc/washingtondc/media/video/3/107726_bush.mov

BrainDamage
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrainDamage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, for those of you who think it's not a thumb, I used Paint Shop Pro to outline the shape of the hand.

-  -

Posts: 146 | From: Orlando | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He is flipping off the camera.

This was a pre-taped, edited speech/statement/whatever. It was not a live event. If you've watched the video, that's obvious.

At the very start of the clip, he says something like, "She's still telling me what to do," "She" probably referring to an aide or press secretary or producer or something.

He then does a countdown from 5, which is a conventional way of starting a clip of raw footage. His tone of voice is a bit exasperated, like he's had to do it a few times, which is common in these studio situations.

He opens his mouth to begon, but before he can start it, someone off camera says something (either vocally or with a motion pointing to his head) which means, "Your hair, fix your hair," so he runs his hands over his head.

Then, after a second's pause, he throws the bird. Quite clearly.

People in the studio hoot like it's funny, and you can hear a woman's voice say, "Were we rolling tape on that?!?" followed by some general studio chatter.

A second later, the frame darkens, like tape engineers are fiddling with the camera levels.

He's cheesing it with the people in the studio, and says, "Just a one-figered victory salute."

It's obviously not a flattering image for the president, but this sort of silly banter happens all the time in a TV studio. Tapings can go long, tempers can flare, one little mis-speak of a word or flub of a teleprompter at the end of a script can cause the entire take to be busted and all tapes to be reracked, which means you do the whole thing again. It's not brain surgery, but there's lots of elements and lots of small things that can go wrong. Joking around with the production crew is a good way to break the ice and make things go smoother. Which to me, is what a good politician should do (make things go smoother).

However, being a politician, one should realize that ANYTHING YOU DO while sitting in front of a camera can come back to bite you in the ass. The woman who says, "Were we rolling tape on that!?!" realized this, and I can almost hear the smart-assed comments from the guys in the control room, rolling their eyes and saying, "Smart. We'll be seeing that EVERYWHERE when this guy runs for president."

My feelings about Bush aside, this clip doesn't bother me much, because this kind of stuff happens all the time, but honestly he should have known better.

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chickee Daizy
Live and Let Madai

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chickee Daizy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BrainDamage:
Ok, for those of you who think it's not a thumb, I used Paint Shop Pro to outline the shape of the hand.

-  -

BrainDamage, thank you for making the outlined pic; maybe this will convince some people that it isn't his middle finger... I thought he was giving a thumbs up before I even read on the page that has the video that they thought he was flipping the bird. I just assumed that as he walked away he was giving the media a thumbs up for an interview well done.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkies...They don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posts: 907 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chickee Daizy
Live and Let Madai

quote:
Originally posted by Electrotiger:
He is flipping off the camera.

This was a pre-taped, edited speech/statement/whatever. It was not a live event. If you've watched the video, that's obvious.

You are talking about a different clip than everyone else is. Yes, the clip you are talking about, he is definately flipping off the camera. In the other video, Bush is walking away from a bunch of reporters and as his back is turned, he raises his hand up and does *something*, the something being what we are trying to figure out. He either flipped them off, flashed an "I'm number 1" with his index finger, or, as I choose to believe, gave them a thumbs up.

--------------------

Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You are talking about a different clip than everyone else is.
Holy crap you're totally right. My bad.

I didn't read the thread carefully enough.

I couldn't believe how anyone could think that he wasn't throwing the bird in that older clip.

I'll shut up now.

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think he's flipping the bird because if you try and get your hand into thet position, it is difficult to create such an extended middle finger without your index finger also coming up and your thumb sticking out. With practice it might be possible to create such a hand gesture, but this seemed clearly an impromptu gesture. With no context it's hard to see a reason why he'd make any hand gesture, but I'm going for a index finger #1 salute, or a thumb.

Still funny though [Big Grin]

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages