snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Politics Archive » J Edgar Hoover in a Pink TuTu

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: J Edgar Hoover in a Pink TuTu
valandearl19
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valandearl19   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I posted this on the photo page but it vanished. In most parodies of J Edgar Hoover they portray him in a pink Tutu. Is there realy a photo of J Edgar Hoover in a Pink Tutu

--------------------
Oh No! My Brains-Hans Moleman

Posts: 184 | From: Springfield VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 200 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is there realy a photo of J Edgar Hoover in a Pink Tutu.
No. He never wore one, much less let anyone photograph him in one.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
megathom
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
Is there realy a photo of J Edgar Hoover in a Pink Tutu.
No. He never wore one, much less let anyone photograph him in one.

- snopes

I don't know if you can really say he never wore one with absolute certainty, but he most likely would never have let a photo of him in one get out. Although he probably wouldn't have hesitated to use of a politcal enemy if it benefited him in some way.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by megathom:
I don't know if you can really say he never wore one with absolute certainty, but he most likely would never have let a photo of him in one get out. Although he probably wouldn't have hesitated to use of a politcal enemy if it benefited him in some way.

With political sarcasm running a (muck) these days, it would not be a suprise for old history to become a bit of humoristic lore.

Going to Dogpile.com and typing "hoover"+"tutu" runs a pretty interesting collection of lore including an article that says Dan Rather was forced to retire and has HOOVER's mention of the wardrobe.
http://www.scrappleface.com/MT/archives/001950.html

However, thinking back to English class history, there was an article where this fat princess wanted a special dress and three tailors set out to embarass her by making up a see-thru dress so to speak and put it on her as if they were holding the dress. She went out on a tent stark naked thinking she was wearing the dress and was embarassed never to be seen again.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In his book Dreadnought, Robert K. Massie has a story about a German general who would dress in a tutu and do ballet dancing. Kaiser Wilhelm found it hilarious and had this general perform several times. The last time the general danced, he had a heart attack and died.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the general's name, and I'm not going to dig through a 908 page book looking for it.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Panda_Marie

Eddie Izzard claimed that Hoover was a transvestite.

Er...a werido transvestite, anyway.

Either way, I haven't looked into it, but I thought it would be something to throw into the mix.

tetsuo_the_great
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 98 posted      Profile for tetsuo_the_great   E-mail tetsuo_the_great   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
robert novak claimed that the communist used it as propadanda and that hoover was straight but then again we are talking about a man/neo-con journalist who revealed a CIA agent just for political gain.
Posts: 45 | From: Springfield, MO | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ciganina

Peter H, you are indeed correct. It was a German general who favored the tutu. I have also come across in my history studies, but cannot remember where, but I am quite careful about what I read.
Ciganina

Peter H, you are indeed correct. It was a German general who favored the tutu. I have also come across in my history studies, but cannot remember where, but I am quite careful about what I read.
Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Panda_Marie:
Eddie Izzard claimed that Hoover was a transvestite.

It's a very old rumor.
There's even an Animaniacs where things are being collected for the WWII war effort and the gathered nylons go to Hoover personally.

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages