snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Politics Archive » Take a Bite out of PETA (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Take a Bite out of PETA
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 505 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Comment: I don't normally send these, but I thought this might be
a good thing to inquire about.

Take a Bite out of PETA
Despite its deceptively warm-and-fuzzy public image, People for the
Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has donated over $150,000 to criminal
activists -- including those jailed for arson, burglary, and even
attempted murder. In 2001, PETA donated $1,500 to the North American Earth
Liberation Front, a criminal organization that the FBI classifies as
"domestic terrorists." And since 2000, rank-and-file PETA activists have
been arrested over 80 times for breaking various laws during PETA
protests. Charges included felony obstruction of government property,
criminal mischief, assaulting a cabinet official, felony vandalism,
performing obscene acts in public, destruction of federal property, and
burglary. ...

To view the entire document, go to
http://www.consumerfreedom.com/article_detail.cfm/article/154

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bela Lugosi's Dead
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
PETA also supports a loosely formed group of animal rights terrorists (not activists) called ALF (Animal Liberation Front). ALF breaks into research facilities and "liberates" animals and wrecks up the place. I have heard that PETA gives ELF money for these "missions", then if ELF manages to pull off the operation without getting anyone hurt, they claim responsibility for it. I don't know for sure if this is true or not, but it is true that PETA has yet to affiliate itself with any ALF mission that resulted in serious damage or human causualties.

The sad thing is, if PETA confined its activities to petitioning for better treatment of food animals, and for the abolishment of recreational animal tourture, they'd probably get a lot of support and be a more respectable organization. Most people who eat meat would prefer that the animal it came from didn't have to suffer more than nessisary. And even though medical testing on animals is essential to medical research, there should clearly be rules in place to minimize the animal's suffering. These are all reasonable propositions, which PETA publically claims it supports and works for...but ideally they want to completely abolish medical animal testing and make it impossible for anyone to eat meat without being harassed. Some PETA extremists don't even want people to be allowed to have pets.

Anyone seriously interested in animal rights should consult an animal welfare organization like The American Human Society.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
greenerben
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenerben     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A quick search turned this up, and the article seems to indicate that The Humane Society is also a contributor... I can't argue for its veracity, but it's an interesting idea.
Posts: 70 | From: Seattle (and sometimes Tacoma), WA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Would it be wrong to say I belong to PETA, that being the People for the Eating of Tasty Animals?

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since PETA supports terrorists and advocates terrorism it would be nice to see the governemnt walk in and seize all their assets. This makes PETA a terrorist group and they should be held accountable by the United States government. What better way then to take their Hollywood Left donations and bankrupt the bastards.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: Comment: I don't normally send these, but I thought this might be
a good thing to inquire about.

Take a Bite out of PETA
Despite its deceptively warm-and-fuzzy public image, People for the
Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has donated over $150,000 to criminal
activists -- including those jailed for arson, burglary, and even
attempted murder. In 2001, PETA donated $1,500 to the North American Earth
Liberation Front, a criminal organization that the FBI classifies as
"domestic terrorists." And since 2000, rank-and-file PETA activists have
been arrested over 80 times for breaking various laws during PETA
protests. Charges included felony obstruction of government property,
criminal mischief, assaulting a cabinet official, felony vandalism,
performing obscene acts in public, destruction of federal property, and
burglary. ...

To view the entire document, go to
http://www.consumerfreedom.com/article_detail.cfm/article/154

I remember Penn & Teller on their show Bullsh!t said basically the same thing. I would be curius as to what kind of investigation (if any) is going on.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Despite its deceptively warm-and-fuzzy public image, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) ...
In what world does PETA have a warm-and-fuzzy image?

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
I remember Penn & Teller on their show Bullsh!t said basically the same thing. I would be curius as to what kind of investigation (if any) is going on.

That was a great episode. I am wondering if it was because of P & T that is all coming about. They were the first place I heard of the PETA/ALF/ELF link.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo

quote:
Originally posted by Introducing, the Pogues:
quote:
Despite its deceptively warm-and-fuzzy public image, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) ...
In what world does PETA have a warm-and-fuzzy image?

Pogue

Try their website. Not only warm and fuzzy but hip as well. They also have a website geared towards young adults that makes PETA look like the coolest thing since MTV. They really trump up their celebrity endorsements that adds up toward that cool,warm fuzzy feeling.

--------------------

Bela Lugosi's Dead

quote:
Originally posted by greenerben:
A quick search turned this up, and the article seems to indicate that The Humane Society is also a contributor... I can't argue for its veracity, but it's an interesting idea.

"The Human Society of the United States" and "The American Human Society" are two different organizations. If this article is true (and, it wouldn't surprise me if it was) it doesn't apply to The American Humane society.
Bela Lugosi's Dead

quote:
Originally posted by TheBobo:
Since PETA supports terrorists and advocates terrorism it would be nice to see the governemnt walk in and seize all their assets. This makes PETA a terrorist group and they should be held accountable by the United States government. What better way then to take their Hollywood Left donations and bankrupt the bastards.

Since they have yet to turn their attention to other forms of domestic terrorists (anti-abortion movements that fund clinic attacks and shootings, anti-developement environmentalists, and racist hate groups that commit hate crimes) I doubt they will go after animal nuts any time in the future.
golem

quote:
Originally posted by Bela Lugosi's Dead:

The sad thing is, if PETA confined its activities to petitioning for better treatment of food animals, and for the abolishment of recreational animal tourture, they'd probably get a lot of support and be a more respectable organization. Most people who eat meat would prefer that the animal it came from didn't have to suffer more than nessisary. And even though medical testing on animals is essential to medical research, there should clearly be rules in place to minimize the animal's suffering. These are all reasonable propositions, which PETA publically claims it supports and works for...but ideally they want to completely abolish medical animal testing and make it impossible for anyone to eat meat without being harassed. Some PETA extremists don't even want people to be allowed to have pets.

PETA is not interested in chamging the way animals are raised for food, or in experimentation, they are only interested in publicity. How else to explain the "Holocaust on your plate" campaign, which juxtaposed pictures of death camp victims with chickens.
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While I am not a fan of PETA, their goal is not publicity for publicity's sake. They seek publicity (very adeptly) in order to garner attention for their cause.

As every other special interest group that has ever existed.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bela Lugosi's Dead

quote:
Originally posted by golem:
quote:

PETA is not interested in chamging the way animals are raised for food, or in experimentation, they are only interested in publicity. How else to explain the "Holocaust on your plate" campaign, which juxtaposed pictures of death camp victims with chickens.
Yes, a particularly tasteless and offensive example of PETA's publicity stunts. However, they are actually working towards a nefarious goal other than simply getting attention. To write them off as simple grand-standers and attention grabbers is dangerous. They ideologically believe these things, and that makes them even more dangerous.
TheBobo

quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
While I am not a fan of PETA, their goal is not publicity for publicity's sake. They seek publicity (very adeptly) in order to garner attention for their cause.

I wouldn't say every other special interest group.Just a small few go about it they way PETA does. PETA seeks attention in a very unorthodox and publicly dangerous way. Like Operation Rescue for example.
There are many special interest groups that seek attention without offending ethnic groups (in PETA's case Jews),advocating violence against their opponents and spreading false or exagerated information.

--------------------

Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
PETA are a bunch of money-grubbing attention whores who don't give a flying rat's hiney about protecting animals or animal welfare. 'Nuff said.

- Pseudo "PETA-fools" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And what is it that they do with the money they grub for?

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:

]

In some cases they use it to euthanize animals.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I wouldn't say every other special interest group.Just a small few go about it they way PETA does. PETA seeks attention in a very unorthodox and publicly dangerous way. Like Operation Rescue for example.
There are many special interest groups that seek attention without offending ethnic groups (in PETA's case Jews),advocating violence against their opponents and spreading false or exagerated information.

But, as I said, every special interest group seeks publicity.

I said nothing about PETA's methods of garnering publicity.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo

Icon 09 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But, as I said, every special interest group seeks publicity.

I said nothing about PETA's methods of garnering publicity.

You are right. My bad. I was under the impression you were comparing PETA to most other interest groups. After re-reading your post I now know what you meant. Sorry.

--------------------

gnome
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gnome   E-mail gnome   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it would be foolish for the government to go after PETA... they're doing such a great job of making themselves irrelevant, it would only be counterproductive.

I have often wondered if PETA is run by people that don't like animal-rights causes, and are intentionally trying to make people hostile by backlash.

Posts: 418 | From: New Port Richey, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chimera:
quote:

]

I remember reading somewhere that Ingred Newkirk and her crazed chronies actually euthanized several thousand animals from 1998 to 2003. The exact number is 10,195. They took in 13,021 (from petakillsanimals.com)

That is just shocking. These guys actively protest animal shelters (who are actually the houses of societies ills from strays. I mean what sshoud they do, let them roam around letting vicious animals attack people and them they get picketed for that.

Not to mention that Ingred Newkirk herself is totally aginst pets, helper animals for the disbled, all animal testing (thats right might as well halt 95+% of medical testing in general) and many other things just sickens me.

Im all for humane treatemet of animals, but thats too extreme.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bela Lugosi's Dead

quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
PETA are a bunch of money-grubbing attention whores who don't give a flying rat's hiney about protecting animals or animal welfare. 'Nuff said.

- Pseudo "PETA-fools" Croat

Actually, I don't doubt their misguided sincerity. They are very ideological and driven.
Bela Lugosi's Dead

quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
quote:
Originally posted by Chimera:
quote:

]

I remember reading somewhere that Ingred Newkirk and her crazed chronies actually euthanized several thousand animals from 1998 to 2003. The exact number is 10,195. They took in 13,021 (from petakillsanimals.com)

That is just shocking. These guys actively protest animal shelters (who are actually the houses of societies ills from strays. I mean what sshoud they do, let them roam around letting vicious animals attack people and them they get picketed for that.

Not to mention that Ingred Newkirk herself is totally aginst pets, helper animals for the disbled, all animal testing (thats right might as well halt 95+% of medical testing in general) and many other things just sickens me.

Im all for humane treatemet of animals, but thats too extreme.

PETA has never (to my knowledge) openly condemned animal shelters that destroy animals in humane ways. In fact, PETA publically opposes so-called "no-kill" shelters because they lead to overpopulation and miserable living conditions among animals. However, groups affiliated with PETA regularly protest animal shelters that destroy animals and PETA refuses to pull its support of these groups. As far as PETA's position on pets...they are contradictory at best. Most of the time, they don't seem to oppose people owning pets, but at other times they refer to it as "animal slavery".

PETA's opposition to animal testing is equally ludicrous. I think just about everyone can agree that animals being used for testing medicine should be treated humanely. However, PETA wants medical testing to stop alltogether. PETA publically acknowledges that if animal testing were valid for medical advances then it would be morally acceptable. They just argue that it isn't valid and doesn't actually yield any medical advances of note. Of course, this isn't true...but this is the fantasy world the group lives in. The really ironic thing here is that medical testing on animals doesn't just improve the quality of life for humans, but for animals as well.

I've heard rumors (though no confirmation) that PETA (or at least, groups supported by PETA) infiltrate animal shows and poison pure-breed animals to teach their owners a lesson. PETA opposes people breeding animals for pets, despite the fact that there are some breeds of pet animals that would be extinct if not for commerical breeding (including my own cat Odin, a Norwegian Forest cat). A cat breeder I know said she has been warned about animal rights activists who will sneak into animal shows, or into the breeding farms and poison the animals with engine coolant or release them into the wild. Since in many cases the animal is not suited to the environment (or the environment to it) this usually results in a lot of pain and suffering to the animals. I don't know if this is true or not, it might be an urban legend, but it really doesn't sound too far outside the realm of possibility considering these animal rights activists history.

Grumpy

Icon 500 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

posted by Chimera:

Euthanize humanely. Yes, they kill animals at PETA headquarters, and they even recommend the best way for you to have it done (sodium pentobarbital).

As for PETA money donated to ALF/ELF suspects, is it possible that they are paying for the defense of PETA members accused of criminal activity? As in, defense counsel guaranteed by the 6th Amendment of the US Constitution?

quote:
...since 2000, rank-and-file PETA activists have been arrested over 80 times for breaking various laws during PETA protests.
Only 80 times since 2000? That's not many -- especially for rank-and-file, which by definition is the lowest echelon of any organization. Arrests are also not the same as convictions; how many of the cases were actually prosecuted.

It could point out that other activists get themselves arrested during protests, but that might make me seem too sympathetic to PETA. For the record, I feel their priorities are misplaced.

golem

The irony is that if PETA were only interested in improving the lot of animals used for food, medical experimentation, or other ways, I would support them. But that's not their goal. They want to end all use of animals period. That's not going to happen. So they do to these outragous stunts, like the "Holocaust on your plate" campaign, or physically attacking fur wearers, to get publicity. I don't doubt that at some level Newkirk and her cronies believe that what they are doing is justified, just that they care more about the publicity than they do about the animals.
greenerben
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenerben     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think PETA is truly passionate about their goal, but their idealism skews their sense of what is productive and beneficial to their cause. For the record, I'm a longstanding vegan (5+ years) who has never supported or been involved with PETA. In fact, I've always been very annoyed that their attempts at raising awareness are often ludicrous yet successful in getting attention... The result is that even before knowing my stance on vegetarianism, most people I meet seem annoyed by my decision, as the only representation of vegans that most people see are the self-righteous, misguided, and often ridiculous antics of PETA. Personally, I don't care what people around me eat, but manage to be mindful of animal welfare, holding the belief that it's going to make a far better impact by simply being a positive example without stepping on toes.

That's my main beef with PETA (pun kinda-sorta intended).

In terms of this article, however, I side with Grumpy, and find the part about 80 arrests to be almost comical... 80 arrests of the thousands of members involved since 2000 doesn't say much. In any group, especially protest groups, there are people who are more apt to get arrested, and it's not at all unlikely that in the group of arrested people there are many repeat offenders. Without knowing what the arrests are for, it's impossible to say whether they are frivilous or not. Not to compare the two, but some of the greatest endeavors in American history are fraught with groups that had far higher numbers of arrests than this, and in hindsight we look favorably at those like MLK for going to jail for his beliefs. Now, to clarify, I am NOT putting PETA or its members on par with civil rights or MLK, but I think it a safe bet to say that more than a few PETA members genuinely believe (misguided as they may be) that they are fighting for an equally important cause. So, yeah, I don't necessarily think that simply because members get arrested it means that they are somehow less credible in their pursuit. Show me what the arrests are for and how many DIFFERENT members have been involved, and then I'll see where I stand in that regard.

Sorry, that was a long, pointless rant, but I really have a lot to say about PETA... They've ruined it for the majority of vegetarians and vegans who look at their choice as nothing more than personal.

Posts: 70 | From: Seattle (and sometimes Tacoma), WA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bela Lugosi's Dead

I agree with greener. I really hate it when people give vegetarians a hard time. It just really annoys me. When I confront people about it, they almost always being up PETA, to which I explain that you can't judge all by the actions of some. People just expect vegetarians to be preachy and pushy, and in my experience they usually are not. I think people should just wait until someone becomes preachy and pushy before treating them as though they are.
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't agree with the tactics, or even the full philosophy of PETA, but just because the "government" has investigated the organization doesn't mean it's inherently evil.

After all, the founding fathers of the United States were all criminals, branded as terrorists (solicitors of high treason against the crown). This country was founded on protests, speaking out against government actions, and using extreme measures to advance a greater cause.

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
hmmm a US government attack on PETA's ethics...

Is there an animal testing bill coming up then?

or for another viewpoint:

It's a protest group who we don't like, how can we get rid of them? I know! Lets brand them counter-revol.....*cough* Terrorists and arrest them and sieze their assets!

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ferret

People can eat whatever they want to eat. It's as mentally weak to make fun of vegetarians as it is to make fun of someone from another religion. Or race. Or economic status. On the same token, it's just as weak to preachify(word used for effect) your stance and use shock rock style ads. I think the hippy from Futurama best represents my thoughts on PETA.

"Animals eat other animals, it's natural!" (Note: I would only say this if a vegetarian condemned me for my eating habits.)

"No it's not! We taught this lion to eat tofu!"

Shriveled anorexic lion appears on screen coughing miserably.

Shades of Pale

quote:
PETA also supports a loosely formed group of animal rights terrorists (not activists) called ALF (Animal Liberation Front). ALF breaks into research facilities and "liberates" animals and wrecks up the place. I have heard that PETA gives ELF money for these "missions", then if ELF manages to pull off the operation without getting anyone hurt, they claim responsibility for it. I don't know for sure if this is true or not, but it is true that PETA has yet to affiliate itself with any ALF mission that resulted in serious damage or human causualties.

I know Penn and Teller exposed PETA's contributions to animal rights terrorists and ecoterrorists; they showed the actual tax forms enumerating some of these donations.

PETA also is hypocritical in that they wreak havoc with shelters and shelter workers who aren't no-kill (which is bad enough in itself) while at the same time their OWN shelter KILLS the vast majority of the animals they "rescue" at their own shelter.

This is really all just the tip of the iceberg though, of all their indefensible actions and what they support. Then again anyone who didn't get that something was amiss when they saw the Holocaust on Your Plate, has something wrong with them to begin with.

To the poster above, vegetarianism is NOT like economic status or skin color for crying out loud. It's a behavior, a choice. Bela is right though, I don't treat someone as preachy or pushy unless they actually are.

Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The funny thing is the one of the biggest reasons I'm a meat eatter today is because of PETA. Most of my friends in highschool were vegitarians so I was vegitarian. Then PETA visited my college with some wacked out campaign that was so stupid no reasonable person would support so my friends and I had steaks that night in the Gold Room on campus. I don't know if its normal but it made me physically ill. But we did it the next night and the night after that I eventualy recovered and I've never looked back. I now only look forward to the next yummy animal.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo

I like Chimera's stance. I have always been a meat eater but now I enjoy it even more because I am pissing off a PETA and or a self-rightous vegan. It's like smoking. I think I smoke more just because I am infuriating the anti-smoking nazis who want to take my right away. Being a meat eater and smoker is just one more person who is not on the side of the self-rightous groups who want to ban or curtail such things.

--------------------

greenerben
I Saw Three Shipments

Without entering/starting a big ol' vegetarian debate or accusing anyone of taking this stance, I'd just like to clarify one of my points. The biggest problem that I run into is NOT from people who are blatant in their distaste for vegetarianism (no pun intended). More often than not, I am faced with folks who don't see anything wrong with trying their damnedest to piss off a completely non-confrontational veggie. In fact, confrontation makes me downright uncomfortable, and unless I know someone well enough or they happen to have a similar eating style, I'll just chalk up my diet to allergies, lactose intolerance, lack of appetite, etc... I suppose what I'm getting at is that, really, it's very hard to piss me off, as I don't see any emotional charge to someone's diet. What DOES get to me is the fact that the very same people who previously had no issues with me now think it's funny (and original) to try everything in their power to poke fun at my one of my beliefs. It's never a food issue for me, more simply that I don't understand why a person would want to initiate such hostility based only on presuppositions that he/she holds towards vegans or vegetarians. I agree with ferret on the point toward religion, since for many people vegetarianism is taken just as seriously as religion (which isn't so ridiculous, as there really isn't a reason that religion by default should be a priority). Both are choices, though both are often influenced by one's surroundings and upbringing. Vegetarians, however, are percieved as weak, wish-washy, pushy, whatever, and therefore fair game for ridicule.

The same isn't true for most religions.

Again, I don't know anyone on this board and I'm not going to pretend like I know someone's stance on the issue from one post, so this isn't intended against anyone.

(And I realize that this post isn't very eloquently written and might not even make sense -- going on hour 54 with no sleep... Not that I'd make sense anyhow.)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages