snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Politics Archive » Bush soundly won with largest popular vote (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bush soundly won with largest popular vote
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All elections are bought, Rodney. Let us not be naive, huh?

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I understand Bush "bought" the religious right with promises of making this a "Christian nation." The money went to smear and fear. Isn't that supposed to be why he won? Far right Christians are usually not all that politically active and they came out in force to defeat the "evil" Democrats?

No matter how much money was spent by whom the Bush campaign spent theirs on "better" i.e. more effective propaganda. He promised the right people the right stuff and scared/angered the begeezes out of the rest. He convinced a good part of the country that the 'D' in Democrat stands for demon.

P&LL, Syl'that makes me little devil'vanz

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. — Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sign me up for the fact that Bush does have a mandate. I also believe that every person who wins an election has a mandate though. I think any other way of looking at it basically leads every election winner to be viewed as a lame duck. To the victor goes the spoils, I say. If you win you can try to push whatever policies you want and we'll just let the system work it out from there.

I'm sick of this "mandate/no mandate" stuff.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rsmall
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:

Including those involving Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln? How about Clinton? [Wink] But my main point was that the Bush/Kerry campaigns and the anti-Bush/anti-Kerry 527 groups all had plenty of money. To imply that Bush won because his side had more money is inaccurate.

Rodney

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rsmall

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Including those involving Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln? How about Clinton? [Wink] But my main point was that the Bush/Kerry campaigns and the anti-Bush/anti-Kerry 527 groups all had plenty of money. To imply that Bush won because his side had more money is inaccurate.

Rodney

abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
makes you wonder, how much money have the last few presidents had and have there been/when was the last president who was working class up until joining his party?
Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rsmall:
But my main point was that the Bush/Kerry campaigns and the anti-Bush/anti-Kerry 527 groups all had plenty of money.

And Grumpy's main point was that however much Bush spent to purchase his office, it wasn't enough to buy long-term loyalty.

Your NewsLax link was apropos of nothing.

Oh, the last president who was born working class was Clinton.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rsmall

Icon 102 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rsmall:
But my main point was that the Bush/Kerry campaigns and the anti-Bush/anti-Kerry 527 groups all had plenty of money.

And Grumpy's main point was that however much Bush spent to purchase his office, it wasn't enough to buy long-term loyalty.
Grumpy quite clearly is saying that Bush won only because of the "$500,000,000" spent on his behalf. Now, if significantly less had been spent on Kerry's behalf than Bush's behalf, that argument might make sense. However, when more money appears to have been spent on Kerry's behalf, where does that argument take you? Would the outcome of the election have been changed had each candidate been restricted to only, say, $5 million with no 527 funding permitted?

Rodney

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Rodney, your reading comprehension is appaling. Take a look at Grumpy's post. What is it that jumps out at you?

--------------------

rsmall

Icon 102 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Rodney, your reading comprehension is appaling. Take a look at Grumpy's post. What is it that jumps out at you?

What jumps out is a graph of Bush's poll ratings, purporting to show that the "500,000,000" spent on his behalf is what temporarily reversed his declining popularity. Grumpy contends that this spending was a "mighty effort" that lifted "the downward trend above 50% around November '04." My point is that you can't look at this "mighty effort" in a vacuum -- Kerry also made a "mighty effort" to knock down Bush's popularity. So there is no basis to conclude that, if both candidates had been prohibited by law from making these "mighty efforts," Bush would not have received 51% of the vote on election day.

Rodney

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

You didn't pay much attention to the dates on the bottom of the graph, did you? There is an upward tick there in the middle, between 3/2003, and 5/2003.

It had squat-all to do with the elections, nor did Grumpy say that. Grumpy said that the amount spent on the election wasn't enough to reverse GWB's overall downward trend (it is, overall, downward. There is no "reversal" anywhere on that graph).

My statement about your reading comprehension stands, and now includes your graph interpretation skills.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages