snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Politics Archive » Two ULs about Kerry/Edwards, Debunked

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Two ULs about Kerry/Edwards, Debunked
Don Gato
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Gato   E-mail Don Gato   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They're the first and fourth most liberal senators, and they voted to defund the troops in Iraq.

Now, I generally believe that candidates have only themselves to blame for their own bad press -- Kerry should responded to these points as soon as the Republicans came up with their talking points. And he dug an especially deep hole for himself with that ridiculous-sounding, "I voted for the $87B before I voted against it" comment. After all, given how determined Kerry supposedly is to avenge Max Cleland, shouldn't he have known not to fall in the same trap?

Still, what Kerry was saying was basically accurate. There was never any chance the troops wouldn't be funded, and both sides knew it. If the bill Kerry voted against had failed, they would have gone back to the drawing board and figured out another way to come up with the $87B, probably by delaying or canceling some of the unimplemented portions of Bush's tax cuts.

Don Gato

Posts: 951 | From: The place to be | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Publius
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Publius     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone see Jon Stewart destroy Rep. Bonilla (R-TX) over the first-and-fourth-most-liberal issue a few nights ago?
Posts: 1640 | From: New Haven, CT | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jumbo70
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Was that funny or what? Bonilla DID NOT want to answer the question about who provides the rankings, but Jon wasn't going to let him get away with the doublespeak. Bonilla was really in the hot seat for that whole interview. I was laughing my ass off.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 99 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not often that I'll stand up and applaud the TV, but I did it the other night while watching this. Stewart is just the World Grand Champion of Irish Diplomacy, and watching him trip up some of these blowhards is as entertaining as it is educational.

What's remarkable is that he's always jovial, and is never openly rude to a guest, even while handing them the rope with which they obligingly hang themselves.

Ali "I'd pay a million dollars to watch him interview Bush" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Gato
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Gato   E-mail Don Gato   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who missed the Bonilla clip, here's the video.

What I found most brilliant was the way Stewart baited him by playing dumb, before revealing at the end that he knew exactly who produced the ranking.

Ever since Clinton went on Arsenio in '92, lots of politicians have realized they could go on talk shows and humanize themselves, all the while being sure that Dave, Jay or Oprah would toss nothing but softballs at them. Stewart played off that tradition so deftly that Bonilla likely didn't even realize he was being set up. He probably still doesn't.

Don Gato

Posts: 951 | From: The place to be | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks ever so for the clip, Don Gato. It's even better than I imagined!

Four Five Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Once again, Comedy Central of all networks comes out with the best, most accurate election coverage. How disturbing is that?

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As I understand it, the National Journal (certainly not a conservative publication by any means) was the group who published the "liberal quotient". However, that quotient was based on calendar year 2003, in which Kerry and Edwards missed most of the votes. To use one of Kerry's favorite words, it's more "nuanced" than people spin it.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Admiraldinty:
As I understand it, the National Journal (certainly not a conservative publication by any means) was the group who published the "liberal quotient". However, that quotient was based on calendar year 2003, in which Kerry and Edwards missed most of the votes.

Er ... yes, that would be exactly what the link in OP says, as well as the Jon Stewart interview.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is good for our elected leaders to miss votes. Especially if they are Democrats. [lol]

Try This candidate evaluation link?

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages