snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Language Archive » "A l'eau, c'est l'heure!"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "A l'eau, c'est l'heure!"
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope that the contributor of this letter in today's Guardian will forgive my posting his brief missive in its entirety:

quote:
It has long been known that "To the water, now is the time!" was the one-time motto of the French navy (Letters, July 12) - that is, until British derision greeted their cries of "A l'eau, c'est l'heure!"
[lol]

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Etienne
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etienne   E-mail Etienne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just don't get it...
Posts: 1102 | From: Quebec | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, sorry...

"A l'eau, c'est l'heure."

Being able to pronounce French properly probably gets in the way. Pronounced in an "English" accent it sounds like "Hello sailor", which is a hilarious indicator that the speaker is at the very least slightly camp... [Smile]

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got it, but it was so bad I didn't want to encourage you [Wink]

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Billy Biggles
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Biggles   Author's Homepage   E-mail Billy Biggles   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You 'ave to say eet een a outraaageous Franch accent. Try practicing on this Gothic masterpiece:

Un petit d置n petit
S弾tonne aux Halles
Un petit d置n petit
Ah ! degres te fallent
Indolent qui ne sort cesse
Indolent qui ne se mene
Qu段mpute un petit d置n petit
Tout gai de Reguennes

--------------------
Cogito ergo sum, non sum qualis eram. Putting Descartes before the Horace every time.

Posts: 377 | From: East Anglia, UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe I'd never heard it before little mrs! My favourite kind of joke, so you are probably on the right track. Everybody turn away, don't look!

--------------------

Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Biggles:
You 'ave to say eet een a outraaageous Franch accent. Try practicing on this Gothic masterpiece:

Un petit d置n petit
S弾tonne aux Halles

Yay! French class finally pays off! I have no idea what that actually says, but I get the joke, so I win!

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ratface
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ratface   E-mail ratface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Try putting it through Google's machine translation. I'm sure it will straighten it all out [Smile]
Posts: 28 | From: Toronto | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ratface
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ratface   E-mail ratface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I meant to say... it will put the pieces together for you.
Posts: 28 | From: Toronto | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
SEVILLE:
Der daigo,
Tousin bussas inaro!

NOCHOE!
Demis trux:
Summit cousin
Summit duxe!

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages