snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Language Archive » "Disrespect" as a verb

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Disrespect" as a verb
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Has the word 'Disrespect' always been used as a verb such as "You shouldn't disrespect him like that" or "He was disrespected in front of his friends", or is the use as a verb a more recent event?

I know the slang 'diss'/'dissed', but always thought of 'Disrespect' as properly only a noun or adjective.

Linguistics is far from my strong suit, so please be gentle [lol]

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The hip-hop subculture has revived the use of “disrespect” as a verb. In the meaning to have or show disrespect, this usage has been long established, if unusual.
Cite here.

I hope I answered the question correctly... [lol]

Skye

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks. So my take on it is that its use as a verb had fallen out of favor but has since been revived?

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogwater:
Thanks. So my take on it is that its use as a verb had fallen out of favor but has since been revived?

That's what I got out of it. In all honesty, I don't exactly understand what "this usage has been long established, if unusual" means. I assume it means it had once been used, fallen out of favor, and has been reintroduced.

[Smile]

Skye

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would guess that since "respect" is a verb and the "dis-" prefix can be applies to verbs (i.e.: engage -> disengage), there is no reason for disrespect not to be a verb.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard it as a verb quite a bit (and I'm not into hip-hop at all)

e.g. "Don't disrespect the flag by dropping it".

Don't think I've ever heard "disrespected" though.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RealityChuck/Boston Charlie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From the OED
quote:
Disrespect, v. trans. The reverse of to respect; to have or show no respect, regard, or reverence for; to treat with irreverence.

1614 WITHER Sat. to King, Juvenilia (1633) 346 Here can I smile to see..how the mean mans suit is dis-respected. 1633 BP. HALL Hard Texts N.T. 11 If he love the one he must disrespect the other. 1683 CAVE Ecclesiastici 231 (Basil) To honor him, and dis-respect his Friend, was to stroke a man's head with one hand, and strike him with the other. 1706 HEARNE Collect. 26 Apr., He was disrespected in Oxford by several men who now speak well of him. 1852 L. HUNT Poems Pref. 27 As if..sorrow disrespected things homely. 1885 G. MEREDITH Diana I. 257 You will judge whether he disrespects me.

As for "Disrespected":

quote:
Hence disrespected ppl. a., -ing vbl. n.

1631 GOUGE God's Arrows i. §45. 75 A dis-respecting, despising, and vilifying of Gods mercies. 1640 H. GLAPTHORNE Ladies Privil. IV. Wks. 1874 II. 140, I meane not..To save a dis-respected life. 1791 PAINE Rights of Man (ed. 2) I. 101 Reflecting how wretched was the condition of a disrespected man. 1876 G. MEREDITH Beauch. Career III. vi. 105 Treating her..like a disrespected grandmother.

So it had a long history but seemingly died out by 1900 until revived recently.
Posts: 675 | From: Schenectady, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Verbing weirds language
-Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes

-

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ottercreek
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ottercreek   E-mail ottercreek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogwater:
Has the word 'Disrespect' always been used as a verb such as "You shouldn't disrespect him like that" or "He was disrespected in front of his friends", or is the use as a verb a more recent event?

I know the slang 'diss'/'dissed', but always thought of 'Disrespect' as properly only a noun or adjective.

Linguistics is far from my strong suit, so please be gentle [lol]

Easy answer:
Prefix dis = not / opposite of
Root word = respect
Therefore disrespect is the opposite action of respect.

What you said about disrespect as a noun, sure why not?
"Disrespect will not be tolerated."
It is an uncountable mass noun.

As an adjective, it is "disrespectful."
"He is a disrespectful person."

Another adjective, passive: "disrespected"
"This man is so disrespected."

And yet another, active: "disrespecting"
"Don't be so disrespecting to the guests."

I love linguistics!

Posts: 736 | From: Maryland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages