snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Language Archive » A man's "Johnson"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A man's "Johnson"
rocksong
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocksong     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Every now and then, I've read the slang term of a man's "Johnson".

Now here in Australia there is a very well known racing car driver called Dick Johnson. So naturally I thought that was the origin of the word.

But today I discovered that some Americans use the term as well.

So what's the origin of "Johnson"? Is it really an Australian euphemism which has caught on in the northern hemisphere, or does it have an entirely different origin?

Posts: 225 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone out there have access to an OED?

When is/was Dick Johnson? Because my grandparents used the word back in the 20s and 30s.

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rocksong
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocksong     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties in the arborvitae:
Anyone out there have access to an OED?

When is/was Dick Johnson? Because my grandparents used the word back in the 20s and 30s.

Aha. Further googling reveals there is a town in Indiana called "Dick Johnson". I'm guessing that's the origin of "Johnson" as a euphemism.
Posts: 225 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can guess, but I don't think you're right. We really need an OED to see when the term first appeared in the language. Too bad all the Brit snopesters are asleep right now, and most if not all of the USAian librarians. [Frown]

Check back again in a few hours.

ETA: I found this on my first google of "etymology + Johnson":
quote:
johnson -- "penis," 1863, perhaps related to British slang John Thomas, which has the same meaning (1887).

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GI Joe
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GI Joe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought - always a dangerous undertaking - that in the US, the origin of 'Johnson' came from R. G. Johnson, who made baseball bats in his Sebago Bat Company, Sebago Lake, Maine. He always burned 'R. G. Johnson' into his bats, and since they were quality items used by pros, they were well known. Given the popularity of baseball in the US, and the understandable male tendancy to, uh, optimism, the metaphor was just begging to be drawn.

--------------------
Once a Warrior Prince

Posts: 496 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steve
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties in the arborvitae:
You can guess, but I don't think you're right. We really need an OED to see when the term first appeared in the language. Too bad all the Brit snopesters are asleep right now, and most if not all of the USAian librarians. [Frown]

Check back again in a few hours.

ETA: I found this on my first google of "etymology + Johnson":
quote:
johnson -- "penis," 1863, perhaps related to British slang John Thomas, which has the same meaning (1887).

The OED lists the 1863 usage as the first (It was a poor soul named WB Cheadle writing in his Jrnl. Trip across Canada , relating how his neck, face, and the organ in question were all frozen). It does not give an etymology.
Posts: 1699 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CD
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pballard:

Now here in Australia there is a very well known racing car driver called Dick Johnson. So naturally I thought that was the origin of the word.

What is it with race car driver's and phallic sounding names?

Dick Trickle

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 98 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pballard:
Every now and then, I've read the slang term of a man's "Johnson"....

Which, no doubt, must be the source of inspiration for all those tacky "Big Johnson" T-shirts you see among People of a Certain Class--usually Kankerdom or lower....

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve:
The OED lists the 1863 usage as the first (It was a poor soul named WB Cheadle writing in his Jrnl. Trip across Canada , relating how his neck, face, and the organ in question were all frozen). It does not give an etymology. [/QB]

Too bad the word "Cheadle" didn't catch on instead...

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
InfraPurple
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InfraPurple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And to think my dad used to call me 'Johnson' all the time..... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
While I wasn't falling down or anything, gravity and I did have an interesting relationship for a short time. - Purple Iguana

Posts: 715 | From: Kansas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Turner727:
And to think my dad used to call me 'Johnson' all the time..... [Roll Eyes]

[lol] Your remark reminded me of an old comedy troupe called the Ace Trucking Company, who were regulars on Tom Jones's TV show (I'm going back to the 1970's). One fellow had a running character named Raymond J. Johnson Jr., who would say when someone called him Johnson, "Ya doesn't have to call me Johnson...You can call me Ray or you can call me Jay or you can call me Ray J....etc, etc."

I did not know that "Johnson" for "penis" goes back to the 1860's. The story I heard was that it was named for LBJ, who was notorious for displaying his organ in public (i.e. urinating in front of the press).

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
InfraPurple
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InfraPurple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny you should mention that. I might have the email around somewhere, but I did email Dad and ask him about that commedian. He used to say that all the time too. I can't remember the name of the guy who did the bit, and I can't find the email....

I certainly hope that's where he got Johnson from....

--------------------
While I wasn't falling down or anything, gravity and I did have an interesting relationship for a short time. - Purple Iguana

Posts: 715 | From: Kansas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe we should look to Richard Mentor Johnson, U.S. Vice President, whose campaign slogan, IIRC, ran something like

quote:

Ripsy! Rampsy! Ripsy! Rumpsy!
I, Dick Johnson, killed Tecumseh!

Brad "btw, he probably didn't" from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
race_bannon

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe the "you can call Ray, you can call me Jay" routine was done by Billy Seluga. I think it was even on an early Miller Lite commercial. I may be wrong, but I may be right.
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 24 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by race_bannon:
I believe the "you can call Ray, you can call me Jay" routine was done by Billy Seluga. I think it was even on an early Miller Lite commercial. I may be wrong, but I may be right.

No you're right--he was. I loved the Miller Lite ads from that time!

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ve cut off your Johnson, Lebowshki! Ve cut off your Johnson!!!

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CannonFodder Global Trotter
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CannonFodder Global Trotter   Author's Homepage   E-mail CannonFodder Global Trotter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Amongst my little circle of peers we call it "your junk".

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posts: 2776 | From: LSA Anaconda, Iraq | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I tend to refer to mine as "The Ol' Heatseeking Moisture Missile."

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jack Dylan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Dylan   E-mail Jack Dylan       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of the 'You can call me Ray' thing, does anyone know if this is what Bob Dylan is referring to in the song 'Gotta Serve Somebody'?

--------------------
Eppis: Do you know why being a revolutionary doesn't work in this country? Being a revolutionary in America is like being a spoil sport at an orgy. All these goodies being passed around and you feel like a shit when you say no.

Posts: 294 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In a rerun of Law & Order last night, Dennis Farina's character (Det. Fontana) refers to a guy's "Johnson rod". Perhaps that's the original terminology?

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
senor boogie woogie

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hola!

I have only heard the term "Johnson" in one of the greatest movies of our time, "The Big Lebowski".

President Lyndon Johnson used to call his johnson "Jumbo", as not to confuse the penis to the dick that was its owner.

Senor

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages