snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Language Archive » One syllable countries

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One syllable countries
Danvers Carew
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Small diversion for you all. I heard the other day that there are only four countries, out of the 193 countries in the world, that have just one syllable in their name, these being Chad, Greece, France, and Spain.

Is this true? And do you think it signifies anything at all?

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In engliah, perhaps, but does France have more/less than four ? How about Japan ?

Er, that really doesn't answer your question, does it.

Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
interesting I pressume Danvers is discussing "in the English language" because of course in French Spain would have more than one, and Cyprus would have only one!

but going through my (limited)geographical knowledge, what you have heard sounds correct, Danvers

little miss

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tch - I prefer to think at the level of morphemes [Wink]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about Guam? Laos?

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Friends of Alfred
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friends of Alfred   E-mail Friends of Alfred   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wales?

--------------------
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Posts: 735 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
loas, definately, but is guam, gwarm or goo-arm?

little miss

--------------------

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I forgot about countries having their own names for their own nations - damned inconsiderate of the blighters if you ask me. So yes, I assume this fascinating fact comes with the unwritten qualifier "in the English language".

ETA: It's clearly not true anyway - how could I have overlooked Wales? To flesh this out a bit, are there many countries which only have one syllable in their native language?

--------------------

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaime Vargas Sanchez
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Danvers Carew:
Small diversion for you all. I heard the other day that there are only four countries in the world, out of the 193 countries in the world that have just one syllable in their name, these being Chad, Greece, France, and Spain.

Is this true? And do you think it signifies anything at all?

Spain has one syllabe? It's almost impossible to me to pronounce it as such. I tend to pronounce it S-PAIN (and most of my fellow countrymen would in fact pronounce it Es-PAIN)

Jaime

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey

Jaime, I think this applies to english spoken by ,well, the English, where Spain is definately one syllable (I know we're Heathens [Wink] )

little miss

--------------------

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by little miss:

little miss

Laos it two sylables when I pronounce it. The laotions I know also pronounce it with two.

Guam is a US territory, not a country.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ack, I keep seeing this topic and thinking that my username is in it. [Eek!]

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Danvers'

quote:
how could I have overlooked Wales?
Force of habit? [Wink]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew

[lol]

--------------------

Jaime Vargas Sanchez

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Jaime, I think this applies to english spoken by ,well, the English, where Spain is definately one syllable (I know we're Heathens [Wink] )

I wasn't implying it, it's just that I needed a massive amount of open-mindedness to see it as a syllabe, because SPaniards have wahat could be described as a speech impediment regarding the combination S+consonant at the beginning of words.

(I used to laugh at the conductor of a music programme because she insisted in pronounced Bruce Springsteen's name correctly. I used to think "you're in Spain, you showoff! Here he's called BROOS ESPREENGSTEEN!")

Jaime

--------------------

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, Spanish lacks the phoneme "sp" at the beginning of words. Not found, doesn't exist, not natural for native Spanish speakers to say. I think it exists in Spanish elsewhere in words, though.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
quote:

little miss

Laos it two sylables when I pronounce it. The laotions I know also pronounce it with two.

Guam is a US territory, not a country.

All of the Loatians I known pronounce it with one sylable. He pronounces it, "Louse." He also pronounces "Loation" like "Lotion."

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey

that's how I always heard it/ pronounced it Demonwolf.

little miss

--------------------

Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
Danvers'

quote:
how could I have overlooked Wales?
Force of habit? [Wink]
Since my suggestion of Guam was shot down, I have to ask, is Wales a country? The CIA doesn't seem to think so.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmmm:
. . . is Wales a country? The CIA doesn't seem to think so.

You might say it's a country but not a nation. (i.e., doesn't have membership in the U.N.)

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaime Vargas Sanchez

quote:
Originally posted by pinqy:
Yep, Spanish lacks the phoneme "sp" at the beginning of words. Not found, doesn't exist, not natural for native Spanish speakers to say. I think it exists in Spanish elsewhere in words, though.

I think it really doesn't exist because when it seems to appear inside words usually there's a syllabe separation in the middle.

E.g. ESPEJO, ASPECTO have the syllabes ES/PE/JO, AS/PEC/TO.

(It doesn't come all that naturally at the end of words either. I can't prove it, but I'd bet a majority of SPaniards would tend to pronounce a word such as "Wasp" more like "WAS-P")

Jaime

--------------------

Danvers Carew

Here's a list of the 191 nations in the UN: link. IIRC, there's something about Taiwan and Vatican City not being members, but they are also classed as actual countries or something (?).

The UK is lumped together and Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, and England aren't considered seperate. So the OP's 'fascinating fact' seems to hold at least in this instance - there are only four countries with one syllable on that list.

--------------------

Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmmm:
. . . is Wales a country? The CIA doesn't seem to think so.

You might say it's a country but not a nation. (i.e., doesn't have membership in the U.N.)

Silas

It is often overlooked...

Wales ceases to exist!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I've always heard Laos pronounced "laus", one syllable.

Guam is pronounced "gwahm".

quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
You might say [Wales is] a country but not a nation. (i.e., doesn't have membership in the U.N.)

The other way around. Historians use "country" to mean a political entity (a "state") and "nation" to mean "a group of people with a shared history, culture, language, and/or religion, with a sense of belonging to each other". Thus, the terms "nation-state" and "mutlination-state", which are both countries (and states).

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wales is a principality - meaning that the nominal head is the Prince of Wales.

Here's a table of dates in Welsh history. Wales has been a principality of the Kingdom of England since 1282 (according to that table) but the formal "unification" wasn't completed until 1536 under Henry VIII.

One thing that the table says that I hadn't realised is that Wales was "united under one rule" for a period between 838 and 1039, but formally submitted to the "English" king as over-king in 927. I hadn't realised that Wales had ever been united under one rule independently of England. At that time, the "English" king would really have been the king over the various Anglo-Saxon kingdoms (Mercia, Wessex, Anglia etc.) so that doesn't necessarily make the "Welsh" subservient to the "English" any more than anybody in "England" was subservient to the "English" king. I think that the table simplifies these things a little.

After the Norman Conquest, the south part of Wales (the Marches) was under Norman control, and the north, Welsh-speaking part (Wallia Pura) wasn't.

Anyway, Wales has never been an independent nation state in the modern sense, in the way that Scotland, England and Ireland have been. At most, it was (according to that table) a collection of tribes that were briefly united under an independent king. Since then it's always been tied to England in one way or another, or not a unified whole.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Top Kat
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Top Kat   E-mail Top Kat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pinqy:

pinqy

That's what I thought. So why do people always quote Ricky Ricardo (from "I Love Lucy") as saying, "You have some 'splaining to do"? Wouldn't a Spanish speaker be more likely to add an "e" before an "sp" rather than dropping one? Did Ricky really say it like that?
Posts: 264 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaime Vargas Sanchez

quote:
Originally posted by Top Kat:
That's what I thought. So why do people always quote Ricky Ricardo (from "I Love Lucy") as saying, "You have some 'splaining to do"? Wouldn't a Spanish speaker be more likely to add an "e" before an "sp" rather than dropping one? Did Ricky really say it like that?

He might be over-correcting [Big Grin] .

Jaime

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages