snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Language Archive » clean as a whistle?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: clean as a whistle?
Hammerhead
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hammerhead   E-mail Hammerhead   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Where does this saying come from? I mean whistles probably arent very clean.

--------------------
All that exists is atoms and empty space, everything else is just opinion -Democratus

Posts: 20 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Probbaly from people with clean shiny whistles as part of a clean and crisp uniform, as in a cop's uniform.

I believe british cops used to have brass whistles which would have a habit of tarnishing. My guess is that it was part of the regular cleaning along with the uniform to make sure your equipment was in working order.

Now i have nothing to back that up with, but it makes sense to me...

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought it came from the classic tea pot. If it is dirty and icky, the "whistle" won't come through - and therefore, if you hear a nice "clean whistle"... you know the pot is clean.

I have NO basis for this assumption, just an opinion.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A tricky etymology, summed up by this excerpt from takemyword.com.

quote:
Famed Scottish poet Robert "Rabbie" Burns (in his Author's Earnest Cry, 1786) provides us the first use of anything resembling the phrase clean as a whistle in writing: "Her mutchkin stowp as toom’s a whissle" For those readers not fluent in Lowlands Scots, this meant "Her pint bucket is as empty as a whistle". As a pair of dyed-in-the-wool penny-whistlers, we conjecture that Rabbie was familiar with this instrument, the implication being that if a whistle is not clear of obstruction inside, then it will not play properly.

Some have suggested that as clean as a whistle actually derives from as clear as a whistle. That explanation has the "clear" form meaning "pure" (as the pure sound of a whistle) and suggests that it is not a large leap from "pure" to "clean". We have found nothing to support this notion, however. A writer in 1828 defines as clean as a whistle as "a proverbial simile, signifying completely, entirely" but we have to wait until 1880 before as clear as a whistle appears in print.

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
arnie
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arnie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Word Detective also suggests the phrase was originally "clear as a whistle".
quote:
Christine Ammer, in her book "Have A Nice Day -- No Problem, A Dictionary of Cliches," points to the phrase "clear as a whistle," very common in the 18th century. While spoken commands might be misunderstood in a noisy environment, no one could mistake a loud whistle for anything else, so "clear as a whistle" came to mean "unmistakable" or "unambiguous."

The later substitution of "clean" meaning "completely" for "clear" therefore makes a certain amount of sense, but the subsequent drift of "clean" in the phrase to mean "pure" is what has led to folks like you wondering "what's so clean about whistles?"

--------------------
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 593 | From: Charlton, Sarf Lunnon | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 402 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Uncle John's Supremely Satisfying Bathroom Reader" tells a different story:

"The phrase appeared at the beginning of the 19th century, describing the whistling noise made as a sword tears through the air to decapitate a victim cleanly, in a single stroke."

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting TB Tabby - i'd be further interested to know what environment produced so many whistling swords so as to coin a phrase. I don't think 19th century England was overly familiar with the sword as a weapon - cavalry were using them and swinging them a fair bit in the 19th century, but would the subtle ringing of metal be heard in the midst of a Crimean skirmish for example?

Also it seems incongruous to describe a 'whistling sword' or even a decapitation as 'clean as a whistle' - if the sword was actually whistling then devices such a similie are out of place. It's a tricky etymology but i'd need more convincing to acknowledge it being anything to do with swords [Wink]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages