snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Language Archive » a while or awhile

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a while or awhile
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Until a few days ago I had always seen this as "awhile" then while I was proofreading a text I noticed that the author continually used "a while". Am I the only one who's never done this? Never even thought of doing this?

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought it was "a while." Then I looked it up in my unabridged dictionary (Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Updated Revised Deluxe Edition, 1996). Here you are:

quote:
The adverb AWHILE is spelled as a single word. ... As the object of a preposition, the noun phrase A WHILE is used, especially in edited writing, but the single-word form is becomming increasingly common.
I would therefore say that it depends on what the word/words is/are doing in the sentence.

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ghost on Toast
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Ghost on Toast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tsk!

It is in the dictionary because over the years people have joined the words 'a' and 'while' together because they are too lazy to say it all out!

It's sloppy! It is clearly two words joined up.

You just wait - in a few years time in the dictionary will be 'alot' rather than a lot"

Posts: 884 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost on Toast:
Tsk!

It is in the dictionary because over the years people have joined the words 'a' and 'while' together because they are too lazy to say it all out!

You just wait - in a few years time in the dictionary will be 'alot' rather than a lot"

Are people who use 'although', 'altogether', 'always', and 'already' also guilty of being sloppy? They are all conflations of 2 words yet have long been accepted. What about 'nevertheless', 'nonetheless', 'albeit'?

My OED has
awhile: adverb for a short time: stand here awhile.
-ORIGIN Old English ane hwile '(for) a while'

It also has a separate entry at 'while':

(a while) for some time: can I keep it a while?

So according to the OED, both are acceptable.

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You must really hate German, then.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Frenchy
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When “awhile” is spelled as a single word, it is an adverb meaning “for a time” ("stay awhile"); but when “while” is the object of a prepositional phrase, like “Lend me your monkey wrench for a while” the “while” must be separated from the “a.” (But if the preposition “for” were lacking in this sentence, “awhile” could be used in this way: “Lend me your monkey wrench awhile.”)
From this website
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ghost on Toast
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost on Toast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't even get me started on German - what a hard language to learn! Whats the world for youht hostel again, isn't it huge?

OK, OK, so I may have jumped the gun on the 'awhile' but trust me, I see so many letters written with sloppy English like 'alot' instead of 'a lot' and even "i might of done" rather than "I might have done"

Grrr.

Posts: 884 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
gramatically, awhile is INCORRECT and should not techinically be used. it IS just a sloppy way to say "a while" and is so universally used now, that has become proper, much the same way that contractions are common now-a-days

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, as has been shown, "awhile" and "a while" are similar, but not equal, and both can be correct.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ghost...I always thought that German was pretty easy to learn.

Although, that could be because the first sentence I learned was "Das ei ist auf dem tisch."

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simonstrical

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
fictional lie:
gramatically, awhile is INCORRECT and should not techinically be used. it IS just a sloppy way to say "a while" and is so universally used now, that has become proper, much the same way that contractions are common now-a-days
So what are you trying to say? That "correct" language doesn't change according to common usage? That argument is quite, quite untenable.

LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Language evolves over time. "Cash" originally was used solely as a verb. (To cash a cheque). To call money "cash" was a slang term, such as calling a woman a "chick" today.

To say that something is incorrect when it has become proper is to remain ignorant of change. When something is done often enough that it is accepted by trusted dictionaries as correct, then for all intents and purposes, it is correct. Are you against adding words to the dictionary as they become part of "popular usage" because the weren't originally words?

(Edited for clarity)

Maple"Let's debate this 'awhile' "Leaf

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
eakf

Icon 602 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
Language evolves over time. "Cash" originally was used solely as a verb. (To cash a cheque). To call money "cash" was a slang term, such as calling a woman a "chick" today.

To say that something is incorrect when it has become proper is to remain ignorant of change. When something is done often enough that it is accepted by trusted dictionaries as correct, then for all intents and purposes, it is correct. Are you against adding words to the dictionary as they become part of "popular usage" because the weren't originally words?

(Edited for clarity)

Maple"Let's debate this 'awhile' "Leaf

Glad you didn't say "all intensive purposes" [Smile]

I mostly agere with your statement, except to say that Quebec english doesn't evolve - ever. (officially anyway) [Smile]

I'm mainly against old words taking on new meanings. My example is "galvanize", which was never intended to mean "burn a house to the ground" like a reporter once said. I believe the media have a responsibility to maintain socially accepted uses for words and not start making them up. That's my opinion.

Simonstrical

What, old words can never take on new meanings? So, for instance, it would be unacceptable to use man to mean "a male member of the human race," as distinct from a woman?

-Simetrical the Skeptical

eakf

Never say never. Using the example of "man" compared to my illustration, would be like changing the meaning to include tables. I'm not against any gradual "transition" of meanings in a logical form.

And to be more precise, I was mainly concerned about people in responsible positions relating to language or communication. It should be a part of their culture to be proficient in writing and communicating.

Samuel Jones

quote:
Originally posted by eakf:
Never say never. Using the example of "man" compared to my illustration, would be like changing the meaning to include tables. I'm not against any gradual "transition" of meanings in a logical form.

And to be more precise, I was mainly concerned about people in responsible positions relating to language or communication. It should be a part of their culture to be proficient in writing and communicating.

If using the word "cash" as a noun would have seemed unusual at one time, then using the work "buck" to mean a US dollar would have seemed ludicrous. If you use the word "man" to mean table and your listeners understand the word "man" to refer to a table and agree that this is the best word to use to refer to the table, then that is exactly the word that you ought to use. Doesn't matter what "responsible position" you may hold.
eakf

{double post - deleted]
eakf

quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Jones:
If using the word "cash" as a noun would have seemed unusual at one time, then using the work "buck" to mean a US dollar would have seemed ludicrous. If you use the word "man" to mean table and your listeners understand the word "man" to refer to a table and agree that this is the best word to use to refer to the table, then that is exactly the word that you ought to use. Doesn't matter what "responsible position" you may hold.

I guess I'm not communicating my point properly. [Wink] You supported my point when you said
quote:
and your listeners understand the word "man" to refer to a table.
I've seen so-called responsible journalists (and the like) use words incorrectly - completely incorrectly, with no connection to the word's actual meaning.
Samuel Jones

quote:
Originally posted by eakf:
I've seen so-called responsible journalists (and the like) use words incorrectly - completely incorrectly, with no connection to the word's actual meaning.

If you're arguing against linguistic chaos and journalistic incompetence, consider me a supporter.

If you're arguing for a static, non-inventive, prescriptivist approach to the use of language, consider me an opponent.

If you're arguing that "a_while" should be 1 word, consider me to be on your team. "Awhile" should not be split into 2 words any more than "meanwhile" should.

eakf

Consider me a a supporter of your first and third statements, with the caveat that "awhile" be allowed to naturally become one word (as it has been).

I'm not a proponent of simplifying our dictionary for simplicity sake. That is doubleplus ungood.

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To the person involved in this discussion who emailed me: you really, really, really need to send me a PM. Not an email, but a PM.

We have something we need to discuss. ASAP.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i am against putting words into the dictionary that are just people being fucking lazy in their speech...a la "ain't". that is stupid.

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 84 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am against putting words into the dictionary that are just people being fucking lazy in their speech...a la "ain't". that is stupid.
Yes, heaven forbid dictionaries should reflect language as it is actually used.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simonstrical

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there any particular reason ain't is any more a case of people being lazy in their speech than, say, aren't?

-Simetrical

Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Simonstrical:
Is there any particular reason ain't is any more a case of people being lazy in their speech than, say, aren't?

After all, what we really should be saying is amn't....

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Don't even get me started on German - what a hard language to learn! Whats the world for youht hostel again, isn't it huge?

It's "Jugendherberge" - and that's by far not the longest german word! [Smile]

I do think that language does and should "evolve" and that a word that has changed its meaning or has been newly coined should be entered in dictionarys at some point. But what about spelling? In Germany, we've got quite a discussion about the rules for spelling being changed by a four-state-commission (Germany, Austria, Swiss and Belgium). A lot of people are opposed to that on the basis of the "it has always been that way"-argument...

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simonstrical

I don't see anything inherently wrong with changing spelling systems—the trick will be getting people to listen. Of course, depending on what sort of changes you make, that could result in dictionaries doubling in size during a transitory period.

-Simetrical

Don Enrico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't see anything inherently wrong with changing spelling systems—the trick will be getting people to listen. Of course, depending on what sort of changes you make, that could result in dictionaries doubling in size during a transitory period.

-Simetrical

Neither do I. Obviously, a state commission can only change the way spelling is taught in school and used in official writing - ther is no "law" as such to tell all people how to spell correctly. Nevertheless, some people opposed to the change argue as if the police will arrest them for incorrect spelling.

By the way, we are in the transitory period right now: dictionarys have changed, and in school "old" spelling is noted, but has no influence on your marks. That will change in summer 2005, though.

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Hissing Kitties:
quote:

After all, what we really should be saying is amn't....
That and the fact that it's used in place of
aren't, isn't, hasn't and haven't as well. That makes things too easy I guess... so it's considered lazy.

Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simonstrical

Incidentally, Don Enrico, what sort of changes are occurring? The spelling's being made more phonetic?

-Simetrical

Don Enrico

There are several types of changes:

• some complex words become less complex by taking them apart: "sogenannte" (so called) becomes "so genannte"
  • some strange and special rules are abolished, for example the rule "If three similar consonants meet in a complex word, only two are written" ("Schiff" and "Fahrt" used to be "Schiffahrt" and are now "Schifffahrt")
  • some (but not all) words with greek ancestry change their spelling to german rules ("Photographie" becomes "Fotografie")

to name but a few...

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages