snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Language Archive » What the heck is the great mole rat?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What the heck is the great mole rat?
Hammerhead
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Hammerhead   E-mail Hammerhead   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On a lot of phobia lists ive seen there is something called "zemmiphobia" listed for fear of "the great mole rat". Does anyone know what that is? I looked online and found nothing about it except for sites talking about the phobia itself. Also how can anyone be afraid of it if no one knows what it is?

--------------------
All that exists is atoms and empty space, everything else is just opinion -Democratus

Posts: 20 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead:
On a lot of phobia lists ive seen there is something called "zemmiphobia" listed for fear of "the great mole rat". Does anyone know what that is? I looked online and found nothing about it except for sites talking about the phobia itself. Also how can anyone be afraid of it if no one knows what it is?

It's actually called the naked mole rat, not the great mole rat. Info here.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NansJns
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 503 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^ closest thing we got to a mole rat.

Why would anyone be scared of Rufus? He's cute! No, don't bother, I'll do it myself: [fish]

Heh, that one's so obvious I won't bother offering any points.

*~*NansJns*~*

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*GASP!
[Eek!] there are people here who don't know about naked mole rats?? It must be time for an initiation!

Marry: bags not I start!: ya

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 01 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Real-life naked mole rats have to be handled with as heavy a pair of gloves as you can find, because they can easily bite off a finger or two. So, one should have a healthy respect for the little buggers. As for Rufus...well, as long as you don't log on to Everlot...

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simon Says
The First USA Noel

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Simon Says   E-mail Simon Says   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After seeing that picture I'm afraid too!
Posts: 624 | From: Kansas | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew the joy of the naked mole rat long before Rufus.

Haven't you people ever seen Bill Nye's episode on them?

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Van Thorp
Deck the Malls

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Dr. Van Thorp   E-mail Dr. Van Thorp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One Sherlock Holmes story makes reference to the case of the giant mole rat, which was said to have been too disturbing to be described to the public. Watson would oftem make references to other cases, some from other published stories, and some not.
Posts: 374 | From: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Van Thorp:
One Sherlock Holmes story makes reference to the case of the giant mole rat, which was said to have been too disturbing to be described to the public. Watson would oftem make references to other cases, some from other published stories, and some not.

I believe, my dear Doctor, that you refer to the Adventure of the Giant Rat of Sumatra.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULbesorry
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Quote from Nonny's link:

Newborns are blind and naked.

(Umm... so're the adults, aren't they..?)

From upcoming, but separate, article from same site:

The offspring from the salmons' mating breathe water...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages