snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Language Archive » "Rule of Thumb"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Rule of Thumb"
Loacharr
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 200 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, gang, I've got a problem. By the way, Hi, I know I've been gone for a while, but that's another story...
Problem is one of my professors recently informed us that we shouldn't use the phrase, "Rule of Thumb" because of the old law that states a man can beat his wife with a stick that is no thicker than his thumb or somesuch tale. To me this smacks of a UL, but I've searched all over the main site, and through the MB and only found one casual reference to this phrase. But I could swear I've read this one debunked at some point in snopes history.
Am I losing my mind? Someone help me out here, I'm really getting bothered by this.

Loaky,

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 218 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I found this site that says it's false. There's also this one that gives an "interesting" explaination as to why it's false. And there's this one too.

Hope that helps!

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 203 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From searching the message board (not the site itself)

Turns up numerous times

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 01 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cecil covered it as well.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The 'Bible' of phrase origins (Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable) gives the explanation of the distance to the first joint of the thumb being almost exactly an inch. This was referred to in one of the links above, and as Brewer is pretty reliable I will go along with his theory.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loacharr
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 200 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the info, I knew it sounded fishy. And I don't know what I did wrong, but I did search the main site and the message board and only found one obscure reference ages ago. I did my homework before I posted, I guess just not well enough. Thanks anyway.

Loaky,

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Van Thorp
Deck the Malls

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Dr. Van Thorp   E-mail Dr. Van Thorp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The wife beating story is complete bunk, but is very popular with a certain type of person that you find in accademic settings.
Posts: 374 | From: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Green Kangaroo
The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Green Kangaroo   E-mail Green Kangaroo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Umm... can you please explain what you mean by this:

quote:
but is very popular with a certain type of person that you find in accademic settings

--------------------
I don't know if I'd survive without a friend like you in my life. Brett Dennen

Posts: 637 | From: Arlington, VA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Van Thorp
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Dr. Van Thorp   E-mail Dr. Van Thorp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Green Kangaroo:
Umm... can you please explain what you mean by this:

quote:
but is very popular with a certain type of person that you find in accademic settings

Mostly weird feminist types typically found in university towns.

The first time I heard the "rule of thumb" story, it was mentioned in a column in a newspaper called "Agenda", a left-wing monthly, distributed for free around Ann Arbor, Michigan, published by a group of political activists loosely tied to the University of Michigan.

I have also seen it mentioned in other publications connected to what I would describe as the accademic left.

Posts: 374 | From: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages