snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Language Archive » Unfortunate Baby Names (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Unfortunate Baby Names
skrap
Minnow Way Out

Icon 97 posted      Profile for skrap   E-mail skrap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister's oldest daughter was married to a man named Romeo, he wanted to be called Rome [Roll Eyes] . Her sister named her second daughter Crystal Jewel. Poor kid, she goes by CJ now.
skrap

--------------------
The Quiet One

Posts: 928 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There ought to be laws to prevent people with the surname Beckens naming their daughter Destiny. Destiny Beckens for goodness sake.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
siwucha
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine had relatives called Pete Moss and Chris Moss.

And theres a guy in urology research called Dik (or Dirk, depending on the reference)Kok. So its an odd name and apt as well.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tess

I went to grade school with a girl named Dusty Couch.
Nadia

Icon 401 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a dumb girl who sometimes came into my first grade class to play and work with us, but she wasn't officially in the class because of her disability, her name was Silence.
Eanar
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Eanar   E-mail Eanar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading my local paper on line I came up with:

Marty Martin. Parents like that should be shot with a potato gun!

Marty Martin Editorial

Posts: 92 | From: Iowa | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Plurabelle
Ika and Tina Tuna

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Plurabelle   E-mail Plurabelle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Llewtrah, Ghost and Marmalade:
A hippy couple I once met at a disreputable pub (Snopesters from the Chelmsford area circa 1980 might remember the Prince of Orange aka POO) showed admirable common sense when they wanted an unusual name for their son, but one which could be shortened to something conventional if he didn't like it. Infant was called Marcus with the option of shortening it to Mark if he preferred [Smile]

I always thought marcus was a fairly common name? at least here in the states.

Anyway, I went to school with a girl born on February 14th, first name Valen, last name Stein.

--------------------
"I am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t...."

Posts: 129 | From: New York City | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deciduousblonde

Icon 303 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know a guy named Leslie Besley (known as John)and my great grandfather was named Ishmael Mayell!

When my third child was born, we decided to name her Eve (we actually lengthened it to Evie) our surname is Moore - and my sister in Law pointed out that as my daughters second name was Nicola, we once had 2 children and now we had 'eve n moore' [Big Grin]

This topic reminds me of a 'story' my Mother In law told me about her teaching days in Bedfordshire during the 1960's - a new child joined her class whom,as informed by his parents, was named 'Gooey'. Perplexed, my Mother In Law asked for the spelling...the mother of the child spelled out 'G U Y' [lol] she swears this is true, and I have to say I totally believe it.

Deciduousblonde

Icon 97 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heavenly Hiraani Tigerlily is the daughter that Paula had to Michael Hutchcence, a little girl, who, for the sake of stability and family ties is the ward of Bob Geldof. (it beats the hell out of being thousands of miles away from her sisters)

Talk [/QB][/QUOTE]

Yep - and she now goes by the name of 'Tiger'

Deciduous'which I think is quite nice'blonde

Illuminati-atrix
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Illuminati-atrix   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Deciduousblonde:
Heavenly Hiraani Tigerlily is the daughter that Paula had to Michael Hutchcence, a little girl, who, for the sake of stability and family ties is the ward of Bob Geldof. (it beats the hell out of being thousands of miles away from her sisters)

Talk

quote:
Yep - and she now goes by the name of 'Tiger'

Deciduous'which I think is quite nice'blonde

I kind of like that name as well...actually Tiger was almost my name but the parental units changed their minds at the last minute.

Tommy "I was born in the Year of the Tiger after all" gungirl

Posts: 1198 | From: in the cyberlab . . . | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lolalola

I kind of like Tiger too. I think Tigerlily is actually very pretty.
greg writes

Icon 98 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't forget the woman who put her identical twin boys up for adoption. One was sent to Egypt, and his new parents named him Amal. The other was sent to Mexico and named Juan.

Years later, Juan learned he was adopted and tracked down his birth parents. He sent them a long letter and a picture.

The mother cried, and says to her husband, "I wish Amal would send me a picture so I could see what he looks like now."

Her husband replies, "They're identical twins. If you've seen Juan, you've seen Amal."

greg writes

There was a major with the Leon County Sheriff's Office (Tallahassee, Fla.) whose last name was Dyke.

The sign on his reserved parking spot read "Major Dyke."

greg writes

When I was growing up in Yakima, Wash., I had a good friend named Luke. His little sister's name was Leia. And they were both born BEFORE Star Wars came out in 1977.

Go figure!

Hairygrowth Fairy

quote:
Originally posted by greg writes:
When I was growing up in Yakima, Wash., I had a good friend named Luke. His little sister's name was Leia. And they were both born BEFORE Star Wars came out in 1977.

Go figure!

Like a friend of the family who named their kids Kylie and Jason, about a year before it happened on Neighbours.

I'm guessing only Aussies and Brits will see the irony in that.

Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think I've posted this before, but recently there was a birth announcement in the local paper for a girl named Ashanti Shakira.

Gee, guess we know what CDs her mom has been listening to.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Misha

quote:
Originally posted by siwucha:
And theres a guy in urology research called Dik (or Dirk, depending on the reference)Kok. So its an odd name and apt as well.

In Holland, this would be a perfectly normal name. Both 'Dik' and 'Dirk' are fairly common first names. 'Dik' can also mean 'fat'. 'Kok' is a common surname. In Dutch it literally means 'cook'. Our former prime minister was called Kok, to the delight of countless visiting standup comedians ("Your president is called Cock! WUHAHAHAHAHAH")

Mis "Fat Cook" ha

rutabaga

Icon 82 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MamaBoid:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by oh pleeze:
[qb] there was a korean baby in the nursery named Wayne Dwopp....and ya just KNOW that kid's gonna talk with a lisp! [lol]

And he's going to keep falling on his head!!![QUOTE]

Confirming my suspicions, my Korean friends tell me there is no such name as Dwopp.

However there is an offensive ethnic joke about a vampire who had a castle in Italy. What was the favorite song of the alligators in his moat?

Vp8

I've never known many people with names too odd, but my best friend in high school's middle name was "Latch".
toberizer

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rutabaga:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MamaBoid:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by oh pleeze:
[qb] there was a korean baby in the nursery named Wayne Dwopp....and ya just KNOW that kid's gonna talk with a lisp! [lol]

And he's going to keep falling on his head!!![QUOTE]

Confirming my suspicions, my Korean friends tell me there is no such name as Dwopp.

Hi!

Long time lurker, first time posting...Just wanted to confirm Dwopp is not a Korean last name. Hhhmm...i was hoping my first post was a bit more insightful. Maybe next time [Embarrassed]

Severus

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have cousins named Misty Gail, Summer Sky, and Sierra Sky. They live in a small town in Texas. While there I dated a girl named Starry Night, everyone called her Star for short, and because of the movie "Lost Boys". If I would have been a girl I would be Fredrica, thank god I wasn't. [Razz]
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At my university we have an area where we post pictures of graduates who were beauty pageant winners. I got a look at one: Mignon Merchant, she was Miss Oklahoma sometime during the eighties.
There's a certain irony to her name. [Razz]

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shoggoth

Icon 18 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to school with Sparkle. My father used to work with Cigarette. I used to know a boy named Jappy. And when my grandfather on my mothers side was born, they didn't know what to name him, so his real name is "Baby Boy Pope", as listed on his birth certificate.

My name is Matt Bahr (pronounced "bar"). Nothing odd about that, but my father would always joke about how he planned to name my sister "Candice" (Candy), my brother "Joe's Grill'n", and me "Crow".

eaglesight

Icon 206 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a teacher in high school named Herb Sample. Before they had kids he used to joke to his wife they should name a son "Urine" and a daughter "Free". (Eek!)
perabsurdus
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for perabsurdus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a woman on the TV show Medical Mysteries by the name of Aquanetta. Her mother must have been a hairdresser.
Posts: 1 | From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages