snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Language Archive » What's wrong with red-headed stepchildren?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's wrong with red-headed stepchildren?
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard the expression "treating [something] like a red-headed stepchild", presumable meaning the object in question is not important or considered bad. Does anyone know where this expression came from, and why red-headed stepchildren were chosen over anything else? I'm assuming it's because redheads were traditionally considered pariahs (although I love 'em!) and stepchildren are considered less important than one's own children, but I may be wrong.

I also knew an old Florida Cracker who used to say "Let's slap a dress on this pig and call her Sally" but I'm not even going to ask what that meant...

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 401 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that the "Red-Headed" part assumes that the step-parent does not have red hair. This means that it is obvious to everyone at a glance that the child is not the parent's natural child. Alien so to speak. And don't forget that in all of the old literature, step-parents (almost by definition) hated their step children (ie: Snow White, Hansel and Gretal, Cinderella etc.). It seems to follow that if the child was markedly different from the other children, that child would catch the brunt of the step-parent' wrath....

Atlanta "Did that make sense? [Confused] " Jake

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:

I also knew an old Florida Cracker who used to say "Let's slap a dress on this pig and call her Sally" but I'm not even going to ask what that meant...

You may remember an ad from a while back showing the boss telling the "Brand X" stockbrokers to unload worthless stock on the unsuspecting. It ends with the boss saying, "Let's put lipstick on this pig." I would guess it means to put a superficially phony good face on something bad.

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've heard the expression "treating [something] like a red-headed stepchild", presumable meaning the object in question is not important or considered bad. Does anyone know where this expression came from, and why red-headed stepchildren were chosen over anything else? I'm assuming it's because redheads were traditionally considered pariahs (although I love 'em!) and stepchildren are considered less important than one's own children, but I may be wrong.

"Red-headed stepchild" means an adulterine bastard. That is, a married woman has a child by someone other than her husband; if nobody in her or her husband's family has red hair, and she produces a child with red hair, then the presumption is that her lover is redheaded or has red hair in his background.

Under common law, her husband is the LEGAL father of the child and is obligated to support him/her. It is not inconcievable that the man might resent the presence of the child for all sorts of reasons--being obligated to support a child not his own; the child being a continuing daily reminder of the wife's infidelity; etc.--and might take it out on the child to a greater or lesser extent.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elkhound:
"Red-headed stepchild" means an adulterine bastard. That is, a married woman has a child by someone other than her husband; if nobody in her or her husband's family has red hair, and she produces a child with red hair, then the presumption is that her lover is redheaded or has red hair in his background.

Under common law, her husband is the LEGAL father of the child and is obligated to support him/her. It is not inconcievable that the man might resent the presence of the child for all sorts of reasons--being obligated to support a child not his own; the child being a continuing daily reminder of the wife's infidelity; etc.--and might take it out on the child to a greater or lesser extent.

OK, I can understand how that would be applied to people. But usually when I hear this expression, it's referring to an inanimate object. Perhaps I should have phrased my question to ask "If a person refers to an object as a "red-headed stepchild", exactly what is that person's attitude toward that object?" I assumed it was derogatory but didn't exactly understand it.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 01 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Being a red-headed step-child myself, I have often wondered where the phrase comes from. [Big Grin]
My Mom once told me jokingly, that I was as welcome as a red-headed step-child. I looked at her, most seriously and said "Mom, do you realize that I am a red-headed step-child?" (my Dad had recently re-married). She started to deny it, but it hit her that I was. [Eek!]

This topic reminds me of the Farkle family on Laugh-In. Anyone else remember the Farkle's?

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok I have to chime in on this. I have often been refered to as a red-headed step-child. I think the odd, alien, different than the parent thing is a big part of the meaning. For a very brief period of my life I took up an interest in magic and I am both female and a red-head, neither are common among magicians and widely seen as inferior as well. I felt it was often used in the same way as standing out like a sore thumb (there's another one to discuss). Since there are so few women in magic their style hasn't progressed at the same rate as men. Unless they want to dress and act like a man there are going to have to be advances for them to be equal. Mister so and so can always topit a freaking elephant...... (end of rant)

edit add:
Most of the time it wasn't meant as mean (I think), more like "you really do stand out like some red-headed step-child".

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 01 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Spider in the Ointment
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've heard the expression "treating [something] like a red-headed stepchild",

I've an idea that this may be far older than you think... I've an idea that the phrase can be found in Gaelic but it is a foster child not a stepchild.

Now red had curious significance in older folklore... fairy hounds had red tipped ears etc... so I think that there was a sense in which red might be supernatural and that red stepchild might be originally some kind of changeling...

Oh well, that is getting obscure, but some of these phrases go back a long way.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by arachnidwan2b:
This topic reminds me of the Farkle family on Laugh-In. Anyone else remember the Farkle's?

I'm Simon! I'm Garr! We're Simon and Garr Farkle!

(Have you seen the recent round of ads with Lily Tomlin reprising her role as Ernestine the Operator?)

Ah, Laugh-In! Those were good times!

Silas (say goodnight, Dick) Sparkhammer

--------------------
When on music's mighty pinion, souls of men to heaven rise,
Then both vanish earth's dominion, man is native to the skies.

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 219 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard the expression used about an object, and usually the person using it is expressing how they've been treated by someone. "She treated me like a red-headed stepchild." Meaning, of course, treated poorly, disrespectfully.

Where it came from, I don't know, but Elkhound's explanation sounds about right.

tag

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Frozen Chosen

All I know is, the phrase I always heard was "watch it or I'll beat you like a red-headed stepchild".
Double Latte
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Double Latte   E-mail Double Latte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Farkles" . . . Oh, that reminds me: A former SO had an album of all the really bad photos of his family. You know, the ones most of us look at and throw away, usually cutting them up into little bits so no one can see them? Yes, he actually kept them in an album he called The Farkle Family album. It was great for laughs!

As for "red-headed step child" that is someone who is treated badly but has done nothing to deserve it. In the movie 9-to-5, Dolly Parton complained that her office mates treated her "like the red-headed step child at a family reunion" and she couldn't figure out why until she discovered that the boss was telling everyone he was sleeping with her.

--------------------
"Senility Prayer"
God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked
The good fortune to run into the ones that I do
And the eyesight to tell the difference.

Posts: 1755 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
arnie
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for arnie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A similar expression refers to "the cuckoo in the nest", meaning someone (or, I suppose, something) that stands out as "wrong". I'm not sure if you US members have cuckoos over there, so I'd better explain the reference. The cuckoo is a bird here in Europe that lays its eggs in other birds' nests. Mother sparrow (or whatever species the involuntary foster mother is) then hatches out the egg and treats the cuckoo chick as one of her own offspring.

--------------------
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 593 | From: Charlton, Sarf Lunnon | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sparverius, pink goldenrod spider

Icon 214 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, we have cuckoos, although oddly enough, ours don't often practice nest parasitism. On the other hand, we have Brown-headed Cowbirds, which parasitize many smaller birds, with the added nasty touch that the cowbird chick, as soon as it hatches, kicks all other eggs and nestlings out to die.
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sparverius, 'our' cuckoos (edit: the British cuckoo is the common cuckoo - see this page for details) do that too - sounds like a similar kind of creaure.

I have never in my life heard this saying (the red-headed thing).

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MamaBird
We Three Blings

Icon 205 posted      Profile for MamaBird     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^ Looks kind of like Flicker Farkle

Ah, the Farkle Family! And their good friend and trusted neighbor Ferd Berfle!

"Overwhelmed, my dear Fanny! Imagine my dear fanny overwhelmed!"

-- Mama "Hiiiiiiiiiii!" Boid

--------------------
It takes a sexually stimulated man to make a chicken affectionate.

Posts: 1034 | From: Central Illinois | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cokomon

I think I have heard Mr. Garrison on South Park mention "Slapping someone around like a red-headed stepchild."
Drummk
Rabies Home Journal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drummk   E-mail Drummk   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a few theories about the origin of the phrase here.

The explanation I'm familiar with is that a red-headed child would be beaten by his or her father because they were the result of an affair between the (married) mother and her red-headed love (for some reason I believe this person is usually thought to be an Irish tradesman). The father outwardly believes that the child is his own, but inwardly resents the child due to the above, hence the beatings. The red-hair is what proves to the father that he is not the blood father of the child.

Posts: 388 | From: Scotland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Double Latte Spinner:
As for "red-headed step child" that is someone who is treated badly but has done nothing to deserve it. In the movie 9-to-5, Dolly Parton complained that her office mates treated her "like the red-headed step child at a family reunion" and she couldn't figure out why until she discovered that the boss was telling everyone he was sleeping with her.

Not quite. She says they treat her like "a bastard at a family reunion." Just watched it with DD over the weekend. [Big Grin]

Whatever the origin, it's definitely a derogatory phrase.

DD is a red-headed stepchild. I thought that was funny until she started repeating some of the things her stepmother has said to her. [Mad]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I found a fairly well researched answer here at this message board. Not much different from what we've said here, but there are several more sources referenced.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages