snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Language Archive » Strange words and their definitions (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Strange words and their definitions
kessira
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 18 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Polyorchid: a man who has at least three testicles.
I'm lookin' for the guy who is both polyorchid and diphallic.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Witchfinder General

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cato isSooty-BSAAC:
quote:
Originally posted by The Witchfinder General:
[QUOTE]
Wordplay. Pun. Sounds like fuck.

I've tried saying "obfuscate" with a Scottish accent, and it still doesn't sound like "fuck" to me.. I guess this is why I missed the joke. (or rather, I knew what the joke was supposed to be, but guessed the wrong intended relationship between "obfuscate" and "fuck")
Sorry pal, not only do you not have a terrible sense of humour (as I do), you appear to have none at all. There might be hope of a transplant for you one day. On second thoughts, forget it.

I used to keep a dictionary of odd words that I came across. Very few of them are actually useful, and I regard many as mere curiosities. If the vasy majority of English speakers don't understand them, then you might as well write in Chinese. Here are a few anyway... I'm reading them from my handwriting so there may be a few mistakes.

Blacklet - Speck of soot
Borborgym - The Rumble of a Stomach
Burke - (verb) Kill someone secretly (from Burke & Hare)
Dendrophilia - Sexual Attraction to trees.
Ghazi - A Muslim soldier fighting an Infidel enemy.
Goog - Flabby or ill conditioned flesh.
Haulm - (verb) tap straight stalks in thatch.
Nephalist - A teetotaller who denies it.
Patella - the knee cap
Phillipic - Speech or piece full of bitter invective.
Plumbaceous - lead like, or lead coloured.
Pogonion - The point of the chin, especially on a witch.
Rubiginous - rust coloured.
Sigil - A demon's personal symbol, used to control or conjure them up.
Wiseacre - a Smart Ass or someone pretending to be wise.

Maybe I copied them down wrong, or use the wrong dictionaries, but I couldn't find definitions for the following -

Sifflicate/Sillficate, rubow, besprent (Middle English?), nettete, stilent, quales/quails (not birds), geegaw/n

*Astrik*
Xboxing Day

Icon 600 posted      Profile for *Astrik*   Author's Homepage   E-mail *Astrik*   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Haha! Zarf is on that list! I love zarf!

Uhhhh....quit looking at me that way. [Razz]

Posts: 1377 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone here ever owned, or seen, a zarf?

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
anue
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for anue   E-mail anue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have seen a zarf in a mall. I just didn't know it was a zarf.

--------------------
om mani padme hum

Posts: 2306 | From: tennessee | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Witchfinder General

quote:
Originally posted by Krustree the Clown Hugger:
I have seen a zarf in a mall. I just didn't know it was a zarf.

Isn't there a lot more to be said for the self-explanatory "cup holder"?

No wait, then someone might confuse it with a sports champion...

Here's a few others from that notebook -

Aleatory - depending on the throw of a dice (die to pedants).
Crapulent - Drunk
Cynocephalus - Dog headed tribesman, as reported by imaginative medieval travellers.
Dyarchy - A govt of two rulers as opposed to MONarchy.
Nacreous - mother of pearl like
Ochlocracy - mob rule
Philargedy - love of money (One of Sir Thomas Urquhart's many coinings*)
Pre-/Postprandial - before/after a meal (used by John Buchan)
Setentia - aphorism
Ukase - edict of Tsarist Russia

* Well here's one page on Urquhart with extracts - http://www.cali.co.uk/users/freeway/courthouse/sirthom.html

"those quodomodocunquizing cluster fists"

"I could have introduced, in case of obscurity, synonymal, exargastic and palilogetic elucidations; for sweetness of phrase, antimetathetic commutations of epithets; for the vehement excitation of a matter, exclamation in the front, and epiphonemas in the rear. I could have used, for the promptlier stirring up of passion, apostrophal and prosopopoeial diversions; and, for the appeasing and settling of them, some epanorthotic revocations and aposiopetic restraints . . . But I hold it now expedient, without further ado, to stop the current of my pen . . . and write with simplicity."

Cato isSooty-BSAAC

quote:

They're also the common terms for before and after a meal used by doctors and other medical-type folk. (ie, if you're referencing when you're measuring blood glucose or performing other assays, or describing when a patient has a certain symptom, if it has some relation to when they eat, or if you want to describe when medicine should be taken in relation to a meal, etc etc)

PS -- we have something else in common! We both think that people who don't appreciate our own sense of humour have none of their own! [Wink]

Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How would you pluralize zarf? Zarfs? Zarves? Would a set of zarves make a good housewarming present?

Nonny "zarf-obsessed" Mouse

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Witchfinder General

quote:
Originally posted by Cato isSooty-BSAAC:
quote:

They're also the common terms for before and after a meal used by doctors and other medical-type folk. (ie, if you're referencing when you're measuring blood glucose or performing other assays, or describing when a patient has a certain symptom, if it has some relation to when they eat, or if you want to describe when medicine should be taken in relation to a meal, etc etc)

PS -- we have something else in common! We both think that people who don't appreciate our own sense of humour have none of their own! [Wink]

[Smile]

I first came across the term "post-prandial cigar" in a Buchan short story competition. The d* thing didn't seem to be in half the dictionaries (like a lot of these words!) I think the kid was trying to be clever, but Buchan himself DOES use it.

p.s.Zarf, -fs, -ves... I notice that some billposters for local pantomine have "Seven Dwarfs" on them. Tolkien insists on Dwarves (even mentions this in the back of LOTR if you want to look). I actually think it would make life simpler if we stuck to -fs... after all we don't write dogs with a z normally (except if you're being trendy).

Tarokaja

Icon 214 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So would you also say knifes, wolfs, scarfs and wifes ? If so, at least you're being consistent. But you'd have to change the speech habits of millions of English speakers. Difficult task, I should think.
*Astrik*
Xboxing Day

Icon 601 posted      Profile for *Astrik*   Author's Homepage   E-mail *Astrik*   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, Nonny asks a lot of zarf questions. [Wink]

-I haven't seen a zarf beyond a drawing in the unabridged dictionary in my high school's library. I used to go in there every day and turn the dictionary to the page with zarf on it. One of the librians there said she'd get me a zarf (I think that whole thing started because I said I wanted one for my birthday) but she couldn't find one so she wrote me an IOU. [lol]
-I've been pondering what the plural form of "zarf" is as well. It's one of those things I sit and think about for no reason...

~Mazel "I want my zarf!" Tov~

Posts: 1377 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kessira

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mazel Tov:
Wow, Nonny asks a lot of zarf questions. [Wink]

-I haven't seen a zarf beyond a drawing in the unabridged dictionary in my high school's library. I used to go in there every day and turn the dictionary to the page with zarf on it. One of the librians there said she'd get me a zarf (I think that whole thing started because I said I wanted one for my birthday) but she couldn't find one so she wrote me an IOU. [lol]
-I've been pondering what the plural form of "zarf" is as well. It's one of those things I sit and think about for no reason...

~Mazel "I want my zarf!" Tov~

Hey, I've actually used those, I just didn't know what they were. In lots of places in Europe, when you order a hot chocolate, it comes in a glass that sits in a holder w/a handle. Sort of like the mugs used for Irish Coffee. If anybody knows where to get them, please please please e-mail me.
Ju"gotta have my cocoa"dy

kessira

Icon 601 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...I used to keep a dictionary of odd words that I came across. Very few of them are actually useful, and I regard many as mere curiosities. If the vasy majority of English speakers don't understand them, then you might as well write in Chinese. Here are a few anyway... I'm reading them from my handwriting so there may be a few mistakes.

Blacklet - Speck of soot
Burke - (verb) Kill someone secretly (from Burke & Hare)
Ghazi - A Muslim soldier fighting an Infidel enemy.
Goog - Flabby or ill conditioned flesh.
Haulm - (verb) tap straight stalks in thatch.
Nephalist - A teetotaller who denies it.
Patella - the knee cap
Phillipic - Speech or piece full of bitter invective.
Plumbaceous - lead like, or lead coloured.
Pogonion - The point of the chin, especially on a witch.
Rubiginous - rust coloured.
Sigil - A demon's personal symbol, used to control or conjure them up.

Maybe I copied them down wrong, or use the wrong dictionaries, but I couldn't find definitions for the following -

Sifflicate/Sillficate, rubow, besprent (Middle English?), nettete, stilent, quales/quails (not birds), geegaw/n [/QB]

Hold it, hold it! Since when is sigil a useless word? I use it every weekend! It's a spell component, along with a blacklet from the fire. Usually comes in handy right after I bash in the patellas of several ogres and watch the party's locksmith burke a few trolls while our friendly neighborhood druid engages in dendrophilia....Too bad our fighter has a plumbaceous butt and rubiginous armor...Thought I heard a borborgym coming from that rust monster...We cleric/Mus can be such wiseacres, can't we?
Ju"okay, save versus pun damage"dy

the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 604 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nonny Mouse, Rodent Cannonball:
Has anyone here ever owned, or seen, a zarf?

Nonny

doesn't anyone watch Pinky and the Brain anymore?

Oh, wait..that was Narf...not zarf.

Anyhoo, moving right along - we used to have teh most fantastic (fake) dictionary, which had taken a zillion weird-but-true placenames and given them legit.-sounding definitions.
Due to popular usage, in this part of the world, an Ozark is someone who offers to help just as you finish the job.

Of course, someone borrowed it and it's still missing.

Was it you?
Could you return it?

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gulliver

quote:
Hey, I've actually used those, I just didn't know what they were. In lots of places in Europe, when you order a hot chocolate, it comes in a glass that sits in a holder w/a handle. Sort of like the mugs used for Irish Coffee. If anybody knows where to get them, please please please e-mail me.

I've used 'em, too. They're common in Poland, because people there drink tea from a glass... 'zarf' is definitely not a Polish word, though. Come to think of it, I can't for the life of me remember the Polish word for 'zarf.'
Pinatamonkey

Reading this page, it appears that the plural of zarf is...'zarf'.
Woapalanne

Icon 219 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doing a multidictionary search for zarf, I found that it's Turkish in origin, also meaning "envelope" or "sleeve" - in this case, it's a metal sleeve holding a coffee cup.
*Astrik*
Xboxing Day

Icon 04 posted      Profile for *Astrik*   Author's Homepage   E-mail *Astrik*   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ohhhhh, those zarf are so pretty. I must have a zarf!

~Mazel "Even though I hate coffee" Tov~

The Witchfinder General

quote:
Originally posted by Tarokaja:
So would you also say knifes, wolfs, scarfs and wifes ? If so, at least you're being consistent. But you'd have to change the speech habits of millions of English speakers. Difficult task, I should think.

Yes I suppose I would. People would still pronounce them with "v"s just as they pronounce dogs, windows etc as if they have a z on the end. It would certainly make things a little bit simpler, and I don't think that's too much of a crime!

"Since when is sigil a useless word? I use it every weekend! It's a spell component, along with a blacklet from the fire."

Unusual might be a better term. Actually haulm is useful to thatchers, and Ghazi is what Bin Laden's terrorists probably see themselves as...

Tarokaja

Icon 200 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Knifes, scarfs, etc.?

quote:
Yes I suppose I would. People would still pronounce them with "v"s just as they pronounce dogs, windows etc as if they have a z on the end. It would certainly make things a little bit simpler, and I don't think that's too much of a crime!

Good reasoning, in theory. The problems would be in the practical application... imagine the cost or "re-training" everyone who'd ever been taught to write knives, scarves etc.
The Witchfinder General

Icon 97 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not at all Tarokaja... many people do it all ready. -fs could be the preferred version, but -ves would be phased out. They've done this in German enough times... with some dodgy recent changes e.g. schifffahrt with three 'f's for ship journey... -ves to -fs is one more irregular plural down... but I wouldn't have mans and oxs though!

After all English is hardly ever truly phonetic... and think of the word standard-eyes itself... it can be ended with -ise or -ize, and neither is really wrong (maybe in the USA, not too sure!!!).

Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anyhoo, moving right along - we used to have teh most fantastic (fake) dictionary, which had taken a zillion weird-but-true placenames and given them legit.-sounding definitions.
Due to popular usage, in this part of the world, an Ozark is someone who offers to help just as you finish the job.

Of course, someone borrowed it and it's still missing.

Was it you?
Could you return it?

'Tweren't me guvnor, but that sounds like The Meaning of Liff by Douglas Adams and John Lloyd...?

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Witchfinder General

Hey the rude placename thing is yet another thread!

I actually came across the use of 'burke' in a poem today!

JK Will's 'Symbiotic Simulacrum'

Arts Myth
The First USA Noel

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Arts Myth   E-mail Arts Myth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

George Carlin did a funny bit about borborygm. Forget which album it was on, though...

quote:
Ouch! Reminds me of an S. Gross cartoon (could have been P.C. Vey... One of the "regular" National Lampoon contributors, anyway), with Pinnochio telling his partner (can't recall their gender) that all they had to worry about was splinters.

quote:
Seen this one around; doesn't seem too unusual.

quote:

Sifflicate/Sillficate, rubow, besprent (Middle English?), nettete, stilent, quales/quails (not birds), geegaw/n

Not sure about most of those, but there is gewgaw, which is an alternate of geegaw, which my Gage Canadian Dictionary says is "a showy trifle; gaudy, useless ornament or toy; bauble."

--------------------
Stupid, stupid rat creatures! - Bone
"The missionaries told us not to cut ourselves. It displeases Jesus." - Elsie Clews Parsons, Kiowa Tales, quoted in The Mourner's Dance, Katherine Ashenburg

Posts: 695 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kessira

quote:
I've used 'em, too. They're common in Poland, because people there drink tea from a glass... 'zarf' is definitely not a Polish word, though. Come to think of it, I can't for the life of me remember the Polish word for 'zarf.' [/QB]
Well, I think the American word for zarf is "umm..cupholder thingamajig."
Judy

the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 04 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:

'Tweren't me guvnor, but that sounds like The Meaning of Liff by Douglas Adams and John Lloyd...? [/QB][/QUOTE]

aha! and armed with that extra piece of info (author names), a hunting I shall go.
(Gotta stop collecting dictionaries. Right after I get just one more!)

Returning you to your ACTUAL thread....

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ha! I need to dig out my (autographed) copy of that book. I believe there was a volume 2, but I could be wrong on that.

Edit: Yes, there was!

Woonsocket... [lol]

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kessira

Icon 215 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Toot-Toot-Tootsie:
Ha! I need to dig out my (autographed) copy of that book. I believe there was a volume 2, but I could be wrong on that.

Edit: Yes, there was!

Woonsocket... [lol]

AUTOGRAPHED? You lucky dog! That book had me falling off the chair laughing from the moment I opened the cover. [lol]
Ju'Liff, the Universe and Everything"dy

Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tarokaja:

J.R.R. Tolkein used 'dwarves' instead of 'dwarfs.' (And 'dwarvish' rather than 'dwarfish'.) He later said several times that he did this to distinguish the race in his stories from humans with androplasia (sp.?), but in the Letters he admitted that regularizing plurals (f/v) was a spelling error that he consistantly made, and that one just got through all the proofreadings of The Hobbit.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fusca 1976
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Fusca 1976   E-mail Fusca 1976   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the OP aren't funny for people who speak a neolatin language.

I would add:

autoonphaloscope: an instrument for contemplating one's own bellybutton.

And then there is the following story:

[looking at the badly mangled corpse of a young woman]- Gosh, what did happen to her?

- Oh, boy, that was terrible! Mind you, she was defenestrated!

- The poor girl...! and they threw her through the window after?!

Luís Henrique

Posts: 4498 | From: Brasília, Distrito Federal, Brazil | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Witchfinder General

quote:
Originally posted by Elkhound:
quote:

J.R.R. Tolkein used 'dwarves' instead of 'dwarfs.' (And 'dwarvish' rather than 'dwarfish'.) He later said several times that he did this to distinguish the race in his stories from humans with androplasia (sp.?), but in the Letters he admitted that regularizing plurals (f/v) was a spelling error that he consistantly made, and that one just got through all the proofreadings of The Hobbit. [/QB]
Elkhound, I mention Tolkien earlier in the thread.

Oh and we're supposed to call them vertically challenged now too! [Smile]

The Spider in the Ointment

Aa - some kind of lava.

I was watching a Scrabble tv show, and you ought to have seen some of the words they produced.

JK "A Gnu too" Will

Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite . . .

hoyden
n.
A high-spirited, boisterous, or saucy girl. [Wink]

Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aa is lava that solidifies into big blocky lumps that are very difficult to walk on, as opposed to the even-better named pahoehoe lava, which is nice and smooth with a wrinkly or rope-like textured surface. I think they're both Hawaiian words (which isn't terribly surprising).

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Spider in the Ointment

quote:
Originally posted by SpiderMosh:
Aa is lava that solidifies into big blocky lumps that are very difficult to walk on, as opposed to the even-better named pahoehoe* lava, which is nice and smooth with a wrinkly or rope-like textured surface. I think they're both Hawaiian words (which isn't terribly surprising).

I think I know what they're talking about. Well since we're on Hawaiian, here's something equally exotic, Icelandic words in English -

Hraun - a plain of solidified lava

Jo:kulhlaup - a massive flood caused by a volcano melting an ice cap or glacier.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages