snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Language Archive » Top names (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Top names
Sheduck2
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 04 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I, too, have a very unique name: Arlue (pronounced ar-loo-ee).

I have never encountered anyone with the same name as me. I once put my name into a Google search and came up with a few hits of people with the same name (although I don't know if they pronounce it the same way), but most of them were from obituaries.

Many people say my name as "ar-loo" and do not pronounce the 'e'. In my baby book, for about the first year of my life, my mother would put an accent on the 'e', but that has long since disappeared.

It was my mother who named me. She was watching a beauty pagent on tv while pregnant with me, and one of the contestants was named Arlue. She thought it was pretty.

quote:

I work in a call centre and have to say my name at the beginning of a call. I am considering using an alias, not because I don't like my name (I love it!) but because of the way idiot customers talk about my name. Examples:

"What was your name? Odette? That's weird!"

"Odette? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Anyway, it's John calling..." (I felt like saying back to him, "John?? Like toilet??? Ha ha ha ha ha! Jerk!")

"I'm not even going to try to pronounce that!" (Oh and Debt. Surely you've used those sounds before. Putz.)

I have that problem too. When I call people to set up apointments, and I tell them my name, they (often rudely) say "what??" For a while, I would just tell them my name was Arlene. Saves countless minutes explaining how to spell my name, the origin of my name, and dealing with morons who like to make fun of my name.

I had a friend in high school who was convinced that she was going to name her child "Chaos".

So, to all the people thinking about giving their child a unique (read: weird) name, please reconsider. The first day of school every September is always going to be a pain, trying to get your teacher to say and remember your name. Meeting new people is awkward and trying to do any business over the phone certainly makes things difficult. I say, if you want to give something a weird name, save it for your pets.

But don't get me wrong. I like my name, I just don't always like how people react to it. (I once had a gym teacher say "that's a stupid name"). After people get the pronounciation down, they usually say "Oh, that's a unique name" or "wow! that's really pretty" or "Is that French?" (I don't think it is.)

-She"joey joe joe junior shabadoo"duck

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueRose

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am reminded of twins who attended my high school--Abigail and Gabriella.

You guessed it: Abby and Gabby!

In our family, it's "Michael" that's gotten out of hand. My father-in-law is Michael, as is his oldest son (who is sometimes called Mike), who named his oldest son Michael Christopher (whom we call by both names so as to avoid the inevitable "What?" from dad and grandpa at family gatherings whenever his mother yells for him). But his oldest son is two years younger than my son, who is named Paul Michael (after his dad and grandfather, so I believe I should have had dibs on the name!). Actually, my son's full name is Paul Michael Anthony (long story there) and we've called him Paul Michael from the start. You wouldn't believe how many times people call him John Paul. Where that came from, I don't know.

Amy "I like my name!" Bennett

Terilyn

People I've known:

-Arlette
-Nannette (I assume these two are french names, and would be more common over there)
-Kip (I'm told this is common but I'd never heard it before)
-Don'taz'e
-Sinsemilla (those two are brother and sister, the latter pronounced "sensamilya")
-Fallon
-Manny (not so weird, but his real name was Manuel, yet his family called him Brandon. Figure that one out).
-Honda
-Nandor
-Anzac (No, I'm not making these up)
-Quinella
-Jessamyn

My sweetie is always mentioning his friends from New Zealand, and over there, they have pretty cool names. To name a few: Oriwia, Flemming, Neville, Callum, and Mamaeroa...they are all so pretty.

Before I was talking about how people are on this kick where they name their kids after the opposite gender...I know two Corys...Cori and Corey, and both are girls. Hmmm....

Mojo Jojo

quote:
Originally posted by birdman:
^^^ This message icon chosen in honor of all the Mr. & Mrs. Canes out there who name their daughters Candace (Candy) Cane.

My mom knows someone who is named Candy Barr...My friend knows a Barbie Doll...The "creativity" this days...

Enjal
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Enjal   E-mail Enjal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, the name game, always interesting.

My first name is Renee. When I was little, as far as I knew, not one person in the whole world had the same name as me. It was bad enough that I wasn't very popular (moved to a new town at age 6, was never fully accepted...still have baggage) but the name made me feel like a real freak. In the 4th grade, I wanted to change my name to Mary.
I got over it in junior high though when the school got bigger. All of a sudden, I would know for sure that people were looking for me when the shouted my name out. Hey, pretty cool! I have a much greater appreciateion for my name now...I get compliments on it's fluidity. Plus, the area I live in has a french speaking community so they always take me in when they here my name (last name is french too). Also, I always hated not being able to find those little bike license plates or keychains with my name on it.

But enough about me! My SO's name is Michael and he actually knows 4 people with the same first and last name (not all last names spelled the same but pronounced the same). Surprisingly enough, if we have a boy, he really wants to name him Michael. I strongly disagreed at first but I figure it'll be a while before we have kids anyway so we'll just cross that bridge when we come to it. He once had a boss named Mike so for 3 years of his life, he was known as Little Mike. I always thought that was odd but he considered it to be a term of endearment. FYI, we're going with Suzanne Gail if we have a girl (his Grandmother's first name and my mother's middle name)

Two of my friends have girls with the same name. One Kaitlyn and one Katelyn. My ex-manager's daughter is named Madison but they call her Maddy.

In the rare names department: I went to college with a girl named Michalyne (pronounced like the tire). My grandmother's name is Ida and her sister's name is Ada.

Pronunciation versus spelling:
-One of my friends named her daughter Tamara but she insisted that it be pronounced syllable by syllable in a fancy way like "Tam-ah-rah" and Tammy would never do. I haven't talked to this woman in about 5 years so who knows how it turned out.
-My friend Andrea's name is pronounced Ahndrea. Now everytime I see that name I pronounce it her way and have bugged a couple of clients because of it. One of our college profs couldn't get it right and always called her Ahndraya. We could never take him seriously because of that one fault.

Lastly, I don't agree with the complex name spellings either. Not only should you think of the number of times the poor kid will have to spell their name for the rest of their life but also think of them when they start learning to write! I had enough of a time with 3 e's! I can't imagine all those y's and n's and s's! ARGH!

Re: Jr's and II's and III's. I always thought it was Jr if the father and son have the exact same first, middle and last name but if the middle name is different than the son is a II.

--------------------
"I'm a leaf in the wind"
New Lungs for George

Posts: 2719 | From: the other Portland (US) | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
junemiller31

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

-Sinsemilla (those two are brother and sister, the latter pronounced "sensamilya")
QB]

Sinsemilla? Isn't that a Jamaican word for marijuana??

I wonder if Latinos still name their daughters Marijuana (Mary Jane)? Does the word have the same connotation in the Spanish-speaking world that it does in the USA? I know that they use the word "mota" but I assume they have several different words for it, as we do.

Jaime, I'm looking at you!

Sarah "tea!" T.

Pha la la la la

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I already have the names picked out for my future children. I tried to go for the perfect combination of uncommon but not over-the-top, pretty but not silly, easy to spell and remember but not boring. I decided on:

Simone
Fiona
Eleanor
Trevor

No, Fiona is not after the singer.
-----
Once, in high school, I had a teacher who was an ass. The first day of class, he was learning our names, and I told him I was Jessica (one of three in the class). He rolled his eyes and said, "I've noticed that all these common names come from soap operas. I suppose in the late seventies, Jessica was the star of the Young and the Restless, right?"

I couldn't believe it. He was implying that because I was named Jessica, my mother must be a vapid twit who relied on daytime television for inspiration.
----
Anyway, my parents had no idea that Jessica was such a common name when I was born. They named me after some obscure musician, and they thought it was very pretty and unique.

So, before you name your child, check the Most Popular Name list... it just might be on it, even if you know of no one with that name (yet).
----
I think I finally appreciated my name when I lived in London. 'Jessica' is not as common in Great Britian, so I got a lot of "What a pretty name!"-type comments. Which was so nice after twenty years of being just another Jess.

NYR88

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My name, as well as my twin sister's, is normal (Nicole and Krystle). But my little sister is named Concetta (CON-chetta). It's Italian. She absolutely hates it.
My friend Becky has a little sistre named Magdalia.
I don't think this counts as a weird name, but the spelling is unusual. In Philly, there was a hockey player named Shjon (said: Shawn) Podein. He plays for Colorado now. It's a combination of Shawn and Jon, which, if I recall correctly, was his grandfather's name. Hey, at least it's better than what his father originaly wanted, which was Wolfgang.

Nicole

ChristMS cookie

Icon 15 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hark, the Harold Enjals Sing:

Lastly, I don't agree with the complex name spellings either. Not only should you think of the number of times the poor kid will have to spell their name for the rest of their life but also think of them when they start learning to write!

Right on!! My name is Meaghan, and it is such a pain because not only do people constantly misspell it, but I can never get anything personalized because it will always say "Megan". (My parents when I was born had an agreement - my mother got to name me and my father got to spell it...thanks a lot, Dad!!)

Anyway, for the person who mentioned Lorelai, I have always loved that name, even before "Gilmore Girls", although I would never name my child that.
The last name thing gets annoying too. When my fiance and I get married, my last name is going to be "See". To the person who mentioned people saying "what?!", when you tell them your name, this happens to my boyfriend all the time and will soon happen to me, ("It is not "C", it is S-E-E!!") It is especially disappointing because I wanted to name my first son after Brandon Lee, but I can't have a kid named Brandon Lee See.

My fiance and I have decided that I will name the girls and he will name the boys to be fair. He wants to name our first son after him. I kind of hope if we have more than one boy I get to name him because I have always loved the name Jeremy Draven. Girls names I am considering:

Alyssa Lynn
Cameron, (one of those unisex names) Elizabeth

I also think that Juliane is a pretty name, (pronounced like the male name "Julian", with the "e" on the end to show it is female) Call me weird, but I think that could be a unisex name, although it is not yet. You never know, maybe I will start a trend!

Mojo Jojo

Icon 02 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hark, the Harold Enjals Sing:
Lastly, I don't agree with the complex name spellings either. Not only should you think of the number of times the poor kid will have to spell their name for the rest of their life but also think of them when they start learning to write! I had enough of a time with 3 e's! I can't imagine all those y's and n's and s's! ARGH!

I spell Nicole the normal way, but I don't understand why so many people ask "Is that with an 'H'?" NO! AHH!!! No Nicole I know spells it with an "h" I don't know where people come up with these things..OK, I guess people around here just expect to spell there name weird...

Mojo "How about Nicoal?" Jojo

birdman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdman   E-mail birdman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh geez, how could I forget: Jasmine, spelled as Jazzamin! I read it in a newspaper photo caption once.

-birdman

Posts: 1104 | From: near Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lulu
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Lulu   E-mail Lulu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just had to add a few comments (I love this thread, by the way - thanks, snopes!)

quote:
-She"joey joe joe junior shabadoo"duck

::snort::!!! THat's my favourite Simpsons quote.

quote:
-Anzac (No, I'm not making these up)

Australian and New Zealand Army Corps? Crikey.

quote:
-One of my friends named her daughter Tamara but she insisted that it be pronounced syllable by syllable in a fancy way like "Tam-ah-rah"

How do you pronounce it? They way you've spelled it out is exactly how I pronounce it. Something funny I've heard - the American pronounciation of the name "Tara" sounds like our pronounciation of the word, "terror". We say Tara a "Tah-rah".

quote:
My fiance and I have decided that I will name the girls and he will name the boys to be fair.

Us too! And each has the power of veto over the other is they name they select is just too vomitous.

I spoke to a Mike Hunt the other day. His account said Mike, not Michael. I have no idea whether he was using a fake name or what.

--------------------
"What I do not understand is why it makes a difference how the goat is exposed." ~ Rhiandmoi

Posts: 2153 | From: Northern NSW, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Two Guys with a Hat

quote:
Originally posted by Appleby
Does anyone know of anyone in USA or Canada with the name Gemma? My kids have met numerous Gemmas in their classes here in England but I for one have never heard this name used before. Cheers

My gradmother's name is Gemma.

quote:
Originally posted by pandora's gift-box And about no one wanting to be "little george" at age 15...I work with a John and a Jon. At work, we go by first names, and clock number. But sometimes, instead of saying John #26 and Jon #24, Big John and Little Jon worked better. These names have stuck for the past 4 years we've all worked there. Big John is 24. Little Jon is 20. Little Jon is tall now, but not as big as Big John. Once, we had two more Johns employeed there. It was only a problem when we were all working at checkouts one night. We clarified who we meant by saying "Big John, Little Jon, Skinny John, Skanky John."

Last year when I was in Igloolik, NU the other Associate at work, and also my room mate was named Jonathan (I also happened to be named Jonathan). Anyhoo, upon my arrival in order to differentiate between the two of US, Jonathan (who also happened to be older than myself) was Old Jonathan, and I was New Jonathan, which somehow transmuted into Baby Jonathan. By the time I left I was accustomed to hearing a page for Baby J, BJ, or in my friends unfortunate case, OJ.

So, in addition to all people in the same class name stories I would like to add this one. In OAC Biology, my teacher insisted we all sit in alphabetical order by FIRST name... so, there were all in a line... myself, my friend John S, and my other friend John W. As everyone knows, Jonathan always gets shortened to Jon. So we had John, John and Jon... imagine the hilarity that ensued. Well, usually with the teacher who insisted on calling me Jon, because his name was also Jonathan... class figued it out though, they called us John, Johnny and Jonathan

Two Guys with a Hat 'Also been nicknamed Jeopardy, Jonovision, and Tim'

vpandora
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for vpandora     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Spelling can be a pain in the ass, but there are times when its kinda nice to have a slightly different spelling. I'm Michele, with one L. The spelling only annoys me when people who know me well can't remember how to spell it. I had a best friend named Kevan. I have a best friend named Katy (short for Katherine). My ex-boyfriend's family has an odd tradition. Their grandfather was an orphan, who had only a note on him, saying his name was Billiey. So Dan's mom was named Kathiey. Her twins were named Amiey and Abbiey. Dan fortunately wasn't called Danniey, just Danny. Danniey would have sounded like a girl (which he does have a cousin, Danielle, btw) The spelling isn't trendy, in fact, I think the tradition is quite charming. Oh, Kathiey's siblings are named Kim and Kip. Both guys.

While we are onto strange names, my grandparents named most of their children K names. My mom's initial (before she was married) was KKK (property of KKK! *snicker*) One of my aunts is named Kifny. One of my uncles is named Kirwin.

Haven't seen those duplicated yet.

vpandora

--------------------
"...Is that all there is? If that's all there is, my friends, then lets keep dancing..."

Posts: 1125 | From: Midwest | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nobody

Here are some others (possibly ULs):

Denial (pronounced "Daniel")
Antoine (pronounced "Ant'ony")
Shithead (pronounced "sha-theed")
Lemongello (there was a baseball player at one time named Mike Lemongello)
and (no joke!)...
Dafydd Corban Paolantonio

...which brings up my own How To Name A Baby list (in Five Easy Steps):

PLAN A:
1) Think of the most traditional, white-bread name you can think of.
2) Then, substitute vowels at will and throw in a couple of arbitrary double consonants.
3) [particularly if you're a minority or just want to be 'multicultural'] Throw in a few extraneous syllables at the beginning and/or end of the name.

PLAN B:
1) Place a bottle on a table and give it a good spin.
2) Get in your car and drive off in whatever direction the bottle is pointing [but make sure you have a full tank for step 3].
3) Whichever little hick county you have to stop to refuel in is your baby-to-be's name.

PLAN C:
1) Go to a place that sells old books and pick up an old bodice-ripper or two.
2) Flip to random pages repeatedly.
3) The name that comes up most frequently is the name Destiny (hey, not bad!) chose for your kid.

4 [all plans]) Give the little freak up for adoption.
5) Pray to whomever it is you pray to that he/she never finds out who gave them that horrible, horrible name!

no "if you wind up in Hardin Co. your kid will become a male porn star" body

Luckia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Luckia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a bunch of things to say on this topic so please bear with me.

quote:
Originally posted by BlueRose:

I had a friend in high school whose sister named her daughters Summer and Autumn. And I used to work with a girl named Winter (still haven't met anyone named Spring, yet.)

I went to school with a girl named Spring!

I named my little girl Cassidy Rose. Everyone keeps telling me how pretty and unusual it is. The funny thing is that when she was two months old we were at a reception for a family member and a lady told me that her niece named her baby the same thing. It turns out that the other Cassidy Rose is a distant cousin of my Cassidy Rose.

Lastly, does anyone else here use their middle name? My name is Rosemary Dawn but I use Dawn. People keep asking me why I don't like Rosemary. It's not that I don't like Rosemary it's just that I've never been called that. I'm named after both of my Grandmothers (Rose and Mary). My parents always wanted to call me Dawn and felt that "Dawn Rosemary" just didn't sound right. I think that the true reason is that it's just some strange thing that my mother's family does just to mess with government officials and teachers.

Some other people in my family that use their middle names:

Amy Darlene
James Dean
Amy Suzanne
Mary Stacy
Mary Carolynn
Elmer Vern

Luc"insert middle name here"kia

--------------------
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Posts: 106 | From: Calgary | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrsbones

quote:
Originally posted by ChristMS cookie:
[QB]

Right on!! My name is Meaghan, and it is such a pain because not only do people constantly misspell it, but I can never get anything personalized because it will always say "Megan". (My parents when I was born had an agreement - my mother got to name me and my father got to spell it...thanks a lot, Dad!!)

Hi, Meaghan. I'm Megan.

When my mom named me, I was the only one she knew of. My problem is getting people to pronounce my name the way my parents intended it to be pronounced, which is "MEE-gen" (with the e in "gen" as a schwa sound). I've been called "Meh-gen", and more often "May-gen". I've pretty much given up. It's nice, though, to be able to buy personalized gew-gaws.

My husband named our daughter, whose name is Alexandra. It's not too common where we live.

I did see a birth announcement in the paper about a month ago where someone named their newborn son N'Troy. Names with apostrophes are common down here.

Megan (parenthetically speaking) B.

melissababe-in-a-manger

quote:
Originally posted by Darimir:

Funniest name I have witnessed is a girl called Jennifer whose surname is Tailyor (yep, you read it right). Jenny Tailyor! ho ho ho

Funniest name I have ever seen is a little NFBSK,
a lady named Liz Chicklick. She was actually quite proud of it.

Continental Op

How is it possible that Dave wasn't on either list? Im sure everyone knows that is the best name for a boy.

I went to high school with identical twins that were named Shawn and Sean. Sean was pronounced "seen". Even they didn't know how their parents came up with those names.

Splendid Ap

Hope this doesn't take us too far afield, but a year in telemarketing brought me into contact with the most unusual, funny, or hard-to-pronounce names. It didn't help that the name first appeared on my screen the moment I said, "Hello, may I speak to...."

I wrote down the best ones. Here's a selection, in capitals as they appeared on my computer:

Top ten in the hard-to-pronounce-at-a-glance category:
(Apologies to those in cultures where these names are common.)
NIDAL ABUSHUKHARIDEM
MRS. BZDYRA
GALEET DARDAFHTI
JESSICA DZIECIASZCK
KEVIN HOUGH (Does it rhyme with bough, dough, through, or tough?)
GUILLERMINA JACOBO
SUVIT KONGPIYACHARN
NAFEESAMOQTOSID LORIKSANYCE
SARETH PINNAMANENI
SANDRA WYRTZES

Top ten in the not-quite-a-celebrity category:
MRS. BATMAN
XENA CARR
MARSHA CLARK
DARRYL HANNAH (male)
MRS. HERCULES
PAULA JONES
RON MCDONALD
MARILYN MONROE
BARBI SKIPPER
SHARON STONE

Top ten just-plain-funny-sounding names:

BARBARA ARBOURA
BERNIE BERNARD
DIOGENES HERNANDEZ (another unusual mix)
JILL HILL (and she's single, so that's her original name)
ANGUS MCGILPIN
CARLOS O'BRIEN (Carlos--a good Irish name)
MITZY SHAPELY
DUANE SNOWBERGER
APRIL TICKLE
STEVE TONIONIO

And the two coolest names I encountered:

ANTIGONE KILLINGSTAD and RANDY MORNINGSTAR

Splendid "brother of a Jennifer" Ap

Darimir

There seems to be something of a trend here for Irish (or Celtic if you prefer) names. Though I have to say they are really excellent names, I can just imagine that having to spell them all the time to people would really start to grate after a while.

For Example: name (pronunciation)

Niamh (Neeve)
Naoise (Neesha)
Una (Oona)
Maeve (Mave)
Medb (Mave)
Siobhan (Shuhvorn)
Cerys (Kerris)
Sinead (Shin'ade)
Padraig (Porraig)
Diarmuid (Dermud)
Sian (Sharn)

Plus lots more that haven't quite surfaced in my memory yet.

Jim.

vpandora
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for vpandora     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Middle names used instead of first names:

At UNO, I had a choir director that went by the name Z. Randall Stroope. Z stood for Zane, which he hated. Dr. Stroope is a composer, and as far as current choral composers go, fairly famous in the choir world. I think he made a good choice. Zane Stroope doesn't sound too distinguished. Randall Stroope sounds better, but not quite composer material. Dr. Z Randall Stroop has quite the right ring to it, I suppose. Everyone who knows him really well calls him Randall, not Z!

OH! And two celtic names not on the above mentioned list, which I happen to love:

Aaden
Gaelen

Got those from the first 5 naming threads!

vpandora

--------------------
"...Is that all there is? If that's all there is, my friends, then lets keep dancing..."

Posts: 1125 | From: Midwest | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skrap
Minnow Way Out

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skrap   E-mail skrap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When we were first looking for houses in Colorado, we were getting real estate ads from several places. My favorite was from Breckenridge. Big family photo on the back page, Dad(I forget his name), Mom( forgot her name too), daughters Cherokee and Sioux and Dalmation puppies Spot and Spotted. Too cute. There is a pre-school two doors down from where I work, I can see the kids out playing when I go out back. There is a little boy, can't be more than 3 or 4, who's name is ... Dude. I swear! I heard the teacher calling him. This poor child will probably change his name to Joe when he grows up. I am one who goes by my middle name, Gail. I hate my first name, Glenda. My full name before I got married was Glenda Gail Godwin. Ugh!! Since Glenda is also my mother's name I have always been Gail. My daughter is another Jennifer, always Jennifer never Jenny. Her middle name is Louise after my late MIL. My FIL wanted to call her Jennylou. I told him absolutely not.
skrap

--------------------
The Quiet One

Posts: 928 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Future names of my children:

Females: Morrigan, who was once an Irish Goddess of Death and War (that's pronounced more-ih-gan)
Shyanne Ashleigh
Ariel
Morgan (boy or girl)
Tyler

Males:
Anthony Jonathan (No nickname!)
Asher (out of a book)
Zoltan (that's a Sultan)
Xavier (means King)
Alejandro (out of a book)
Damien (out of a book)
Christian
Galen Frost (again, out of a book)
An awesome middle name would be Alaric (pronounced Ah-lare-ic), I read it in a book.

As you can all tell, I like weird names. My children will suffer! Muahahahahaha!

Well, the books that the names marked "out of a book" are from are written by Laurell K Hamilton. I believe that Galen is a Celtic name meaning 'calm', although, that could be what Rhys (pronounced Reese) means. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken!

[Edited to add my name!]

Morr "I love my nickname!" igan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Enjal
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Enjal   E-mail Enjal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Lu-dolph the red-faced flame dear:
quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-One of my friends named her daughter Tamara but she insisted that it be pronounced syllable by syllable in a fancy way like "Tam-ah-rah"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you pronounce it? They way you've spelled it out is exactly how I pronounce it.

People in my neck of the woods would tend to pronounce it like Ta-MARE-ah instead of TAM-ah-rah. Plus, all of the Tamara's I know just go by Tammy because it's easier. I could just see this kid going through hell having to explain her name all the time.

Re: middle names used as first names. I see this a lot! A woman at work is named Elinor Gail but she goes by Gail. A friend of mine in high school was name J. Jeremy Patrick Jackson (yes, his first name was just the letter J) and he went by JJ or Jeremy. Another guy I know is named Williman Peter and he goes by Peter. I've heard of a lot of Jr's doing this in order to help tell the difference between the Sr. and Jr. in everyday life. I grew up with a guy named Kenneth Scott...he was a Junior so he went by Scott to make it easier.

Also wanted to add that I really love season and month names, especially Summer, Autumn and April. They're just so pretty sounding!

--------------------
"I'm a leaf in the wind"
New Lungs for George

Posts: 2719 | From: the other Portland (US) | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chava

Icon 95 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter has a friend named Chelsea, pronounced chel-SEE-ah. I guess she's a permanent embarrassment to her parents, who found out a few years too late how the name was supposed to be pronounced.

Some people we used to know named their son Mathew, then raced downtown to the birth registry office a couple weeks later when they realized that the name is spelled Matthew.

Fortunately Andrea is not an especially common name or it would be a constant battle to keep track of people who want it pronounced AN-dree-ah and those who want ahn-DRAY-ah. Both factions will kill you if you mess up.

When I was growing up, almost no one had unusually spelled names until they got to junior high. Then girls who had always been named Susan or Theresa were suddenly Suzi or Terri, with little round circles over the i's.

When my father was born, my grandparents had the name all picked out ahead of time, but a cousin was born a week or so before my father and his parents took the chosen name. So it took my grandmother a few extra days to decide on a new name. Either she never told the doctor what she decided or the doctor just chose a name when the baby was born. When my father enlisted for WW II he discovered that the name on his birth certificate was Woodrow Wilson Lastname.

Chava

junemiller31

quote:
Originally posted by Splendid Ap:
Hope this doesn't take us too far afield, but a year in telemarketing brought me into contact with the most unusual, funny, or hard-to-pronounce names. It didn't help that the name first appeared on my screen the moment I said, "Hello, may I speak to...."

Splendid "brother of a Jennifer" Ap

My gawd, how could I have forgotten? My oldest brother did telemarketing for a carpet-cleaning company when he was in college and he once called a man named Squid Liquid! Is that not the worst name in the world?! And when my brother went into his sales pitch the guy said, "No, thanks, we like our carpets dirty".

Sarah "what were his parents smoking?" T.

Kendra
Let It Wasabi

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kendra   Author's Homepage   E-mail Kendra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
re: middle name usage. My mom is Thelma Marlene and she goes by Marlene (grandma is Thelma) my uncle is Robert Richard and goes by Rick (grandpa was Robert) and when my aunt came along 8 years later she was named Janet Dale and she goes by Dale just by tradition.

On a royalty message board I used to go to there would occasionally arise a "what will you name your children when you marry Prince William" thread. Most popular being Dakota Diana Francis and Spencer Maverick. (I went back and checked the archives for a recent discussion) No historical royal names ever showed.

Yeah, like those will get through. The Queen ex-nayed Annabell for Andrew's younger daughter, Annabelle's is apparently a nightclub and one of Camilla's sisters names. The baby got Eugenie. The Queen's oldest granddaughter is Zara. (meaning star or princess)

Looking down over the succession list for England has some odd choices...... Colombus (#28) Cassius (#29) Zenouska (#39) Tewa (#46)

--------------------
I have a hair trigger cynicism and I'm not afraid to use it.

Posts: 588 | From: Niagara | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zeldarae

Both of my grandmothers have the first name Bertha (ugh). One goes by her middle name Eloise. The other's middle name is Mildred. She just goes by Bertha. Her mother was not the best for naming her girls. Maybe the fact she never learned English (she was Cajun French) has something to do with it. The girls are named Hilda Lena, Myrtle Grace, Bertha Mildred, Lydia Eileen, and Lillian Nina.

My husband (Jason) has a friend named Tosh Orshaun. His parents couldn't decide between Tosh or Shaun. True story. Jason's grandfather is named Ainse (pronounced "ants" with a slighlty silent "t"). My grandfather is Clarence Willard and he and my grandmother "blessed" my father with the same middle name.

I've always wanted to name a daughter after my mother, but she threatened me with bodily harm. She goes by Ricky, but my dad insists on calling her by her given name, Zelda Rae.

Terilyn

Icon 88 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The more I've read this thread, the more I've realized that even though I live in a Podunk Georgia County, I sure have known alot of people with "different" names.

-Anida (pronounced just like "anita")
-Johnniee ("johnny", and she was a girl)
-Kierstun
-Porsha
-Zeb
-LaShea
-Aisher (pronounced "Asia")
-Brangwynn (God, how could I forget her? She was always a strange girl...she even ended up on the Sally Jessy show a while back)
-Monic ("monique"...and her middle name was Monica)
-Edie
-Konue
-Georgia (that one is kind of predictable)
-Morgane
-Tessa
-Booni
-Lyndie
-Agata
-Angelita

Wow...that's alot. Then again, every other person was an Ashley, Amber, Jessica, Chris, Michael or Caitlin.

oh rosa i will play

Darimir
Thanks for the Celtic thread. I was interested to read how to pronounce Diarmuid – I first heard this as “Diana” – couldn’t imagine whose mother would have named him that.

You left out Deidre, the name of a classmate, which we and she, pronounced “Daydree.” The first time I took a phone message from someone pronouncing it that way, I politely wrote it down as “Day Dream.” Didn’t ask for correction as I didn’t want to embarrass her ….. (Oh yes, we also grew up calling it Perryer Water. So sue us.)

Terilyn
What was Brangwynn on Sally Jessy for? (OT question: Does anyone else’s skin crawl watching the show teasers, where ol’ SJ turns to the camera and makes a little moue like she’s sohelpmegawd having an orgasm over what her guests are saying?)

Pha la la la la
When your teacher twitted you about your mom naming you after a soap opera character, I’d just bet he was reciting something from Thomas Harris’ “Silence of the Lambs” where Clarice is musing over the imagined desperate lonely life of the victim fished out of the river: “….. poor [whatever it was] with her soap-opera name …..”

Have a holly jolly kit cat

My name is Lori, pretty boring name, sometimes I wish I was called something else. My mother apparently was going to name me Kelly but in the hospital she changed her mind. Well it's not a highly popular name but now that I'm over in Scotland I get a lot of jokes because it sounds like "Lorry". So I've already heard all the jokes there is to hear about my name.

I agree with Darimir about Celtic names. I've always loved them and if I have kids I hope to give him or her a Celtic name. If I have kids with my SO he may or may not go for it. He's got an ordinary name, but he uses his name in Irish on his passportand in his emails and stuff. Some of his family members have named their children Celtic names too. He's mentioned that if we have a kid and it was a boy he'd want to name it after his father, which I respect but I'm just not keen on the name. But I guess I don't have to worry about that at the moment.....hee hee!

bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by junemiller31:

Sinsemilla? Isn't that a Jamaican word for marijuana??

In Spanish:

Sin = without; semilla = seed.

By not allowing the marijuana plant to be pollinated, it secretes more resin in order to trap pollen. If successful, the result is highly resinous, seedless, killer bud. As a seasonal coincidence, it smells like Christmas trees.

buf 'don't ask me how I know this' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nobody

quote:
Originally posted by Splendid Ap:

I wrote down the best ones. Here's a selection, in capitals as they appeared on my computer:

Top ten in the hard-to-pronounce-at-a-glance category:
(Apologies to those in cultures where these names are common.)
snip...
JESSICA DZIECIASZCK

This last name is probably a mispelling of "Dzieciaszek" [commonly pronounced "jechashek"]

quote:

KEVIN HOUGH (Does it rhyme with bough, dough, through, or tough?)

It rhymes with tough.

quote:

GUILLERMINA JACOBO
SUVIT KONGPIYACHARN
NAFEESAMOQTOSID LORIKSANYCE
SARETH PINNAMANENI
SANDRA WYRTZES

Top ten in the not-quite-a-celebrity category:
MRS. BATMAN
XENA CARR
MARSHA CLARK
DARRYL HANNAH (male)
MRS. HERCULES
PAULA JONES
RON MCDONALD
MARILYN MONROE
BARBI SKIPPER
SHARON STONE

Top ten just-plain-funny-sounding names:

BARBARA ARBOURA
BERNIE BERNARD
DIOGENES HERNANDEZ (another unusual mix)
JILL HILL (and she's single, so that's her original name)
ANGUS MCGILPIN
CARLOS O'BRIEN (Carlos--a good Irish name)
MITZY SHAPELY
DUANE SNOWBERGER
APRIL TICKLE
STEVE TONIONIO

And the two coolest names I encountered:

ANTIGONE KILLINGSTAD and RANDY MORNINGSTAR

Splendid "brother of a Jennifer" Ap[/QB]

How about these that I've found in various phone books:

Joseph Dzhugashvili (yes, like Stalin)
Vinay Dipshit
Harry Sacks (this was the most bizarre out of numerous entries for Cock, Dick, Dickman, etc. that are just too easy to list)
B. Bum
Zdzislaw Juszczak (for those of you that had problems with Dzieciaszek)
Fuk Yu
Hung Wang
and the rest goes downhill from there.

no "did I mention Dick Porn yet?" body

junemiller31

quote:
Originally posted by bufungla:

In Spanish:

Sin = without; semilla = seed.

By not allowing the marijuana plant to be pollinated, it secretes more resin in order to trap pollen. If successful, the result is highly resinous, seedless, killer bud. As a seasonal coincidence, it smells like Christmas trees.

buf 'don't ask me how I know this' ungla

Been reading "High Times", eh? Tee hee, thanks buf!

Sarah "confusing my ganja with my sensi" T.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages