snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Religion Archive » Chronicles of Narnia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chronicles of Narnia
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 210 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw that Disney is remaking the series last night when DH drug me to the Star Wars movie. It's aways been a favorite of mine, however, when I was younger and in a parochial school, the teachers made no qualms about the Chronicles being allusions to different facets of Christianity. Aslan was like Jesus, Ice Queen was Satan...etc.

Did C.S. Lewis intend the Chronicles to be Christian?

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's been another lengthy thread is this forum about it in the past. I think Lewis, unlike Tolkein, was open about the allegory and enjoyed it as a form of teching. From my perspective, there's no way that the first and last installments could be anything but Christian allegory. To me Aslan is so obviously a picture of Christ that it's pretty hard to miss. For a couple of quick examples, Mr Beaver says that Aslan is not safe but that he is good. Aslan takes the fall and dies a brutal death to save another, before rising again from the "grave."

The middle installments, though, just strike me as pretty regular stories about the adventures of thd characters.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
CS Lewis was a Christian theologian and has written many theological works, it's logical to me that these are indeed intended to be theological works for children. He did the same in a sci-fi series for adults that did not become popular in the same way.

Frankly I'm always surprised to hear that people question it. Even when I was in fourth grade (the first time I read the books) the allegory was clear to me.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed Elwood, I was raised Catholic and I immediately recognized, even though I was a child when I read the books, that Aslan was definitely meant to come across as a Christ-like figure. Aslan's sacrificing himself on the stone table to the White Witch and resurrection the following day is so blatantly similar to the crucifixion that if you are familiar with the stories, I can't see how you wouldn't recognize it.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, there was a thread about this, and I was the one who started it, actually.
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recognized it in the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe. However, I wasn't sure if it was an intent of C.S. Lewis.

Them parochial schools tend to tell ya a lot of B.S. [Smile]

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crono
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crono   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crono   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is widely recognized that The Chronicles of Narnia were meant to be a Christian allegory. That doesn't automatically mean that they were (after all, there are still some people who insist that The Lord of the Rings is a Christian allegory as well), but given that Lewis was a well-known Christian theologian with a fondness for allegory and the fact that the Christian message seems rather obvious, I would say that the Chronicles probably are allegorical. For what it's worth, at the college I attended, a person who was a double major in English and Religious Studies did his senior recital on The Chronicles of Narnia, and he made the claim that they were allegorical. I doubt that the teacher would have let him slip that by if it weren't true.

--------------------
Disclaimer: I might know something about everything, but I don't know much about anything.

Posts: 293 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, isn't "The Silver Chair" a version of the often-seen Christian allegory about who should sit in the seat of self?

I've seen this in small, friendly tracts -- much nicer than Chick's material! -- left in public places. You have a picture of a chair, with "Ego" or sinful self on the throne, and all around it is disorder. But in the second picture, there is a cross, representing Christ, on the seat, and all around it is orderly and neat.

So: question 1: is that what Lewis was getting at?

and question 2: is he the one who originated that particular allegory?

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
Also, isn't "The Silver Chair" a version of the often-seen Christian allegory about who should sit in the seat of self?

(snip)

So: question 1: is that what Lewis was getting at?

and question 2: is he the one who originated that particular allegory?

Silas

1. No - I don't think that's possible. The Silver Chair was first published in 1953 (according to the insides of the version I have), and (to answer question 2) Bill Bright wrote The Four Spiritual Laws, which contains that image, in 1956. (Biography of Bill Bright.)

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Chronicles of Narnia, complete with allegory references.

Lewis's Space Triology continues with the allegory, although it is much more explicit -- Maleldil is God and the eldils are angels, etc. At one point, one character (can't remember which) tells Ransom that his name is Ransom, too -- as he gave his life in ransom for others (that is, he's Jesus).

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MisterGrey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MisterGrey     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, no, no-- Narnia was all about Satanism, devil-worship, and defiling Christ. At least these people think so.
Posts: 2711 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MisterGrey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MisterGrey     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, no, no-- Narnia was all about Satanism, devil-worship, and defiling Christ. At least these people think so.
Posts: 2711 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bela Lugosi's Dead
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MisterGrey:

thats the first time I've ever heard anyone call Satan Worship "Luciferianism"...makes me picture them smoking weed.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Keeper of the Mad Bunnies
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   E-mail Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is more information, with references:
Into the Wardrobe :: a C. S. Lewis web site

A short excerpt:

Rather than planning to write a fictional book that succeeded in using apologetics, Lewis admits that the "element" of Christianity, "as with Aslan," entered "of its own accord" (Hooper, Walter. Past Watchful Dragons: The Narnian Chronicles of C. S. Lewis. New York: Collier Books, 1979. p 31). Walter Hooper, C. S. Lewis' biographer, describes Lewis as being the most religious man he ever met (Schakel, Peter J. Reading with the Heart: The Way Into Narnia. Grand Rapids, Michigan: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1979. p 132). For this reason, no matter what Lewis wrote, his religion would greatly impact all of his works.

Edited to add:

From a faq:

3.22 Is Narnia an allegory?
All readers of Narnia must realise that Aslan the Lion, who is the Son of the Great Emperor Across the Sea, who breaks the power of the White Witch by his death and resurrection - and who, as C.S. Lewis pointed out to one of his young readers 'arrived at the same time as Father Christmas' - is a picture of Jesus Christ. Does it follow that the books as a whole are allegories?

C.S. Lewis used a very strict definition of the word 'allegory' - after all, one of his most important academic books was a study of this subject. He wrote to some Maryland fifth graders in 1954:

'I did not say to myself 'Let us represent Jesus as He really is in our world by a Lion in Narnia'; I said 'Let us suppose that there were a land like Narnia and that the Son of God, as he became a Man in our world, became a Lion there, and then imagine what would happen'.

James Powell

Posts: 588 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ASL
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASL   E-mail ASL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mrs.hi-c sucks at geometry:
I recognized it in the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe. However, I wasn't sure if it was an intent of C.S. Lewis.

Them parochial schools tend to tell ya a lot of B.S. [Smile]

My parents tried to raise me Catholic, but I went to public schools and also became a devout agnostic. Even I picked that up. It's not the parochial schools brainwashing you (this time at least).

--------------------
"Dear Lord, please protect this rockethouse and all who dwell within..."

Posts: 1093 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages