snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Religion Archive » It always rains on Good Friday.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It always rains on Good Friday.
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Please chow if this has been covered before.

My aunt says it will always rain on Good Friday because that is the day of Christ's crucifixtion.
Strange as it may be it usauly does. Of course I chalk this up to spring and the wet season. Somebody once said it is true because it is always raining somewhere in the world.

Anybody else heard of this UL?

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes, I heard of it. I had many family members that believed it for years but I went to visit them when it didn't rain. Although I think it wasn't only supposed to be on good Friday but also on the hour of his death (which I think most people put somewhere in the afternoon but I don't know how biblical that is or if they corrected for time zone differences). The irrating thing for me was it did rain for a few good fridays that I can remember as a child and it was pointed out (by others) that it was proof that it rained on them all. Some will still do the "see I told you so" bit if it rains but completely ignores the fact it doesn't rain every year. It didn't rain here at all here this good friday... maybe I should do the "see I told you bit" on them. Of course I'm pretty sure it rained somewhere.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about that, but my Mother in Law declares every year that if it is windy on Good Friday, it will be windy for the next six weeks.

I think she must have her Good Friday and Groundhog days mixed.

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ASL
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASL   E-mail ASL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How stupid can some people be. So either:

a) It rains everywhere on Good Friday, no matter where. Be it the deserts of the Sahara or the frozen wasteland that is Anartica.

b) It rains only where they live, proving that God has chosen their small little corner of the world as the stage for a proof of his greatness.

My God...

ETA:

or,
c) They have made the extraordinary leap to claim that, somewhere on the face of the earth, it's going to rain on Good Friday.

--------------------
"Dear Lord, please protect this rockethouse and all who dwell within..."

Posts: 1093 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grumpy
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 214 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UE Loyal Oak:

No doubt. Jesus went in the tomb on Friday. It was Sunday when he came out, saw his shadow, and....
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Shows what she knows. Here, it SNOWED on Good Friday!

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fuchsia
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuchsia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Where I am, it rained a little in the evening--more like a spritz than a shower or downpour. The sun even came out late yesterday afternoon. It's supposed to rain tomorrow on Easter.

--------------------
Nothing makes sense, so let's have no more nothing and stop making sense.

Posts: 1353 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It was cloudy here, but it never actually rained.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Laura......The one with the rage

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good Lord!, i can't remember if it rained here yesterday. Now, THAT is bad
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Haven't heard of it. It didn't rain yesterday. At this moment there's thunder and lightning - no rain yet, but we did have some rain this afternoon. Wacky weather.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resident deity
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resident deity   E-mail resident deity   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't rain over here (though it did saturday and looks like it will today) - but that's general British holidays for you [Smile]
Posts: 289 | From: Leicester, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Egg Note

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It didn't rain for me but it was way too cold. It's the beginning of spring, where's my spring weather?!

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mkcp91
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mkcp91     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't know about that, but my Mother in Law declares every year that if it is windy on Good Friday, it will be windy for the next six weeks.

I was told by my great aunt that if it rains on Easter Sunday, it will rain the next six Sundays. It rained here on Easter Sunday, so I'll be keeping track this year.

Oh, and we saw no rain on Good Friday this year.

Posts: 8 | From: Amish Country, PA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 87 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm, 41 years ago there was a horrendous earthquake in Fairbanks Alaska.
It rained here on Good Friday, was cloudy all day yesterday and is raining now. Matches my mood.
[Frown]

Dawn--who'll stop the rain?--Storm

Mkcp91, welcome to the boards!! [Cool]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife just mentioned to me today that it always rains on Good Friday. I guess it did, here in Chicagoland, this year. But, again, March/April plus Chicago equals a good bet it'll rain.

BTW...It's rained every year on her birthday and on my son's birthday. Hmmmmmmmmm...I'd better start being nicer to them.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a beautiful, clear and warm (50F) all day long. Not a drop of rain.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a hailstorm that uprooted trees, broke a bunch of windows, and killed hundreds of birds. Not sure what kind of sign it is when the streets are full of dead grackles.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Young man as an artist

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I only remember sunny Good Fridays all my life, maybe I am on a wrong place on Earth.
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bobo making logs:
Please chow if this has been covered before.

My aunt says it will always rain on Good Friday because that is the day of Christ's crucifixtion.
Strange as it may be it usauly does. Of course I chalk this up to spring and the wet season. Somebody once said it is true because it is always raining somewhere in the world.

Anybody else heard of this UL?

Which Good Friday? Orthodox? Latin?

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My mother in law is pretty windy every week of the year [Smile]

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Penny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It always rains here on Good Friday. Usually pours. I always chalked it down to the annual Sydney Royal Easter Show, which only exists to be rained out.
Posts: 340 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cobra4J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobra4J   E-mail Cobra4J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good Friday, 2005, here in Michigan, was a rather sunny day. Sorry to disappoint you.
Posts: 479 | From: Owosso, MI | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rain (actually rainy-mixed-with-downpour) on Good Friday in Hamburg, Germany. Sunny on the day before and the day after Good Friday.

From my experience, this "rain on Good Friday" thing has nothing to do with cruzification, but started only when we started to use Good Friday as the day to do the annual "clearing the court and building some shed or other day" at some friends (who store our LARP equipment).

Don "all wet after two hours" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages