snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Religion Archive » Fish on good Friday.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fish on good Friday.
Laura......The one with the rage
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 215 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know why one is supposed to eat Fish on Good Friday? Iv'e done a general search on Google, but can't find reasons for eating fish on this day.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 210 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cuz the Pope said so. [fish]

Okay, real answers (Others may be better able to answer this).

IQB: Why fish doesn't count as meat for Friday abstinence? says it's due to the way the language evolved and "flesh" (meat from mammals and chickens" was different from fish as well as the ceremonial, sacrificial nature of meat opposed to fish.

This thread is an interesting discussion about it, but I'm not sure of its accuracy.

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, most people don't like fish as much as they like fleshmeat. In George Herbert's manual for clergy said that if you really, really LIKE fish to the point where you say, "Oh, goody--it's Friday", then you should probably adopt another discipline. (He put it a little more formally than that, of course.)

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Laura......The one with the rage
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We've only ever eaten fish on Good Friday. Not because one isn't supposed to eat meat (which i guessed was the reason for eating fish) it's always been the same, you just DO!. My family aren't even religious. So why just not eat meat OR fish on good friday?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Slainey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slainey   E-mail Slainey       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Because a few extra omega 3 fatty acids are just the thing to get you through a dreary spring.

That's my theory anyway.

Posts: 2655 | From: MO USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, you're not supposed to eat fish or anything else on Good Friday, it's a fast day. Fish is for the other Fridays.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties in the arborvitae:
Actually, you're not supposed to eat fish or anything else on Good Friday, it's a fast day. Fish is for the other Fridays.

Four Kitties

IIRC, you are supposer to eat one meal that day, but you may break it up throughout the day to keep your strength up. Also, the sick, very young or the very old, are not expected to fast. I will try to find a cite.

eta:http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09152a.htm (this will answer the question in th OP as well.

" But the ordinary rule on fasting days was to take but one meal a day and that only in the evening, while meat and, in the early centuries, wine were entirely forbidden. During Holy Week, or at least on Good Friday it was common to enjoin the xerophagiŠ, i.e., a diet of dry food, bread, salt, and vegetables."

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in a Catholic canton, therefore we have all the Catholic holidays. This also means that our company cafeteria follows some of the traditional Catholic rules. This means that year-round fish is available on Friday (vegetarian option is always available) and this week there is fish every day.

Good Friday is a holidy - so as far as the company cafeteria is concerned, it is a day for fasting.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
quote:

Four Kitties

IIRC, you are supposer to eat one meal that day, but you may break it up throughout the day to keep your strength up. Also, the sick, very young or the very old, are not expected to fast. I will try to find a cite.

eta:http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09152a.htm (this will answer the question in th OP as well.

" But the ordinary rule on fasting days was to take but one meal a day and that only in the evening, while meat and, in the early centuries, wine were entirely forbidden. During Holy Week, or at least on Good Friday it was common to enjoin the xerophagiŠ, i.e., a diet of dry food, bread, salt, and vegetables."

Yes, I oversimplified. You may eat the equivalent of one meal spread out over the fast day. You do not have to. You are exempt if you are under some age (10 maybe?) over some age (60?), sick, pregnant, nursing, diabetic, etc.

Good Friday is a day of fasting and abstinence: no booze, no sex, no fun!

Four Kitties

--------------------

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Algae:
IQB: Why fish doesn't count as meat for Friday abstinence? says it's due to the way the language evolved and "flesh" (meat from mammals and chickens" was different from fish as well as the ceremonial, sacrificial nature of meat opposed to fish.

Hmm, Jimmy Akin misses that fish is pareve.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HazelPhoenix
TR7 Bridges Road

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HazelPhoenix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, interesting as this is, I think the tradition came from an Egyptian myth.

You see, Osiris, God of the underworld, was murdered by his brother Set. Set cut Osiris' body into fourteen pieces, thus also separating his soul into fourteen pieces, and he scattered the pieces all throughout the land. Isis, Osiris' wife, took it upon herself to find the scattered pieces of her husband's body and resurrect him. But she only found thirteen; the fourteenth, Osiris' ... manhood ... was eaten by a fish. Isis managed to resurrect her husband anyway, luckily, but that's how the myth goes. And so, I'm guessing that the Egyptians thus had a tradition of eating fish on Friday in recognition of this tale, and then the fish-on-Friday tradition blended into Catholicism (since I think it unlikely that Catholics would draw directly from Egyptian mythology). I'm still clueless as to why it would be Friday, though.

--------------------
"The question is not who is going to let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand

Posts: 145 | From: Southeastern Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But the catholics had little to do with the Egyptians. Why would they practice it? If it was a Jewish customg, it would make some sense.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Slainey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slainey   E-mail Slainey       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The early church had quite a foot hold in Egypt before Islam. St Anthony the hermit. St. Catherin of Alexandria. etc. Some of those early church fathers traveled quite a bit.

However, somehow I think the Egyptians ate fish more than once a week.

Posts: 2655 | From: MO USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
schumichick
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for schumichick     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
HazelPhoenix ...
Friday because that is the day Christ died ...
self-denial reminds one of the sacrifice he made
reminds us of our own sinfulness that required is sacrifice for our salvation

(no, I am not a Christian ... just remembering what I was taught during 13 years of Catholic school)

--------------------
'We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.' -- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 391 | From: the left coast of the USA -- WA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

I'm hungry. I hate fast days!

--------------------

Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Offer it up FourKitties offer it up! And think of the lovely Easter choccies the Easter bunny will be hopping down the bunny trail with on Sunday. Good god I think I'm getting light headed...

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HazelPhoenix
TR7 Bridges Road

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HazelPhoenix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Friday because that is the day Christ died ...
self-denial reminds one of the sacrifice he made
reminds us of our own sinfulness that required is sacrifice for our salvation

Oh. That's right. *feels stupid* And I'm attending a Catholic high school too. *laugh*

Also, while I'm at it, I just remembered something else: the fish is a symbol that has a strong connection with Jesus. Christian astrologers have said that Jesus' death ushered in the 2000-year Astrological Age of Pisces. Of course, right about now we're on the cusp of the Age of Aquarius, colloquially referred to as the 'New Age' (a-ha!). Astrological Ages are associated with a phenomenon known as the precession of the equinoxes ... Google it; lots of interesting essays that explain the Ages. [Smile]

Hazel "When the Moon is in the Seventh House and Jupiter aligns with Mars..." Phoenix

(PS - Don't mean to sound like a ... New Age walnut brownie [Wink] ... but I've read more than is probably healthy about astrology and thus the information presented above is locked in my brain for eternity or something along those lines. [Razz] )

--------------------
"The question is not who is going to let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand

Posts: 145 | From: Southeastern Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
quote:

Offer it up FourKitties offer it up! And think of the lovely Easter choccies the Easter bunny will be hopping down the bunny trail with on Sunday. Good god I think I'm getting light headed...
You had to mention chocolate, didn't you? [Roll Eyes]

That's it. One minute after midnight, those chocolate frosted Pop Tarts are history!

--------------------

Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
quote:

You had to mention chocolate, didn't you? [Roll Eyes]

That's it. One minute after midnight, those chocolate frosted Pop Tarts are history!

[Big Grin] Misery loves company. Or well maybe not! I've got my eye on the leftover potato salad myself.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hee - one advantage of being pregnant is not fasting today! [Razz] (And I think I felt the baby move, so it's really been a Good Friday for me!)

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB CodeÖ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages