snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Religion Archive » The Davinci Code (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Davinci Code
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are several books containing the "alternate gospels." You can do searches on Amazon or Christianbook.com. They all have names like "New Testament Aprocropha, Lost Gospels, Apocrophal Gospels, etc. Lost Scriptures

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Try here:

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elwood v2.0:
Jason, since we've wondered into Peter and Paul I have something I'm curious about:

Why isn't Peter listed among those greeted in Paul's epistle to the Romans? I know some Protestant scholars say he just wasn't there to greet, but in Catholic tradition he would have to be and his omission seems a bit troubling, as Paul doesn't seem to be one to hold a grudge.

The usual conclusion is that Paul was aware that Peter had left Rome for a time. Peter, like Paul, did travel much around the Mediterranean. The problem is that the Bible doesn't actual supply much information on who was where when (nearly nothing is given about what the Twelve did other than Peter) and Acts even breaks off in its accounts of Peter's and Paul's activities. Patristic sources are nearly unanimous in saying that Peter and Paul both went to Rome and were martyred there, however, Protestants often regard those sources as legendary.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Etienne
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etienne   E-mail Etienne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
quote:
Originally posted by lavender blue:
quote:
[qb] [QUOTE](snip)And if you're an Asterix fan, have you seen the Lucky Luke books?

I only have read 3 of the Asterix books, though your quote sparked a intense Google search for Asterix webpages last night and plans to visit my library tomorrow. I must say that some of the satire completely passed me by; I just giggle over the more obvious punning and storylines. I have not seen the Lucky Luke books-are they similar? I admit to a very dry sense of humor.
Asterix and Obelix were by Goscinny and Uderzo; Uderzo, alas, is no longer living, but Goscinny worked with Morris to create Lucky Luke, a figure in the American Wild West, who with his trusty horse Jolly Jumper, roam from town to town seeking (hilarious) adventure. The writing is quite similar in tone to the Asterix stories: wicked puns which, alas, suffer from translation. The translators do their best, and so the stories are a treat even for us non-French speakers. (And a few jokes have been thrown in that probably weren't in the original stories.) There have also been two animated movies, which, alas, are only average in quality.

One running joke is swiped directly from Asterix: there, the Romans were always saying, "The Gau... The Gau... The Gauls!" Well, in Lucky Luke, people are always saying, "The Da... The Da... The Daltons!" It's a nice bit of continuity!

Silas ("I want to be the Caliph instead of the Caliph!") Sparkhammer

That's the pirate's line, actually :-D

Check out Astérix : Mission Cléopatre, the live action movie. (The second one, the first was so so) It's the best French Film ever made, IMHO.

Heck, the best film ever. Learn French if you have to.

/Hijack

Posts: 1102 | From: Quebec | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[off-topic] I thought DEA was banned from posting here. If that's true than I can't say I miss him much. He was always going on and on about that Sollog character who has the credibility of toast. [end off-topic]

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[off-topic]That's probably because DEA *was* Sollog.[end off-topic]

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[off-topic] So our message board attracts wingnut psychics (or should it be psychos)? The wonders never cease. [end off-topic]

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SilverElf4
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 84 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Jesus is mostly celebrated for his death. (If it were for his resurrection, then churches wouldn't use crosses and crucifixes, but some other iconography, showing the risen Christ and perhaps the empty tomb.)
Eh. I have to disagree with this one. The cross is indeed a central symbol for the faith - but most of the crosses you'll see hanging around peoples necks and in most churches don't have anyone hanging on them...

In any case, if Jesus death were the main facet of Christianity, I would venture to say that Good Friday would be the high holy day of the most churches - but its not, Easter Sunday stands alone on top of that pile, so to speak.

Silver Elf 4

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
Jesus is mostly celebrated for his death. (If it were for his resurrection, then churches wouldn't use crosses and crucifixes, but some other iconography, showing the risen Christ and perhaps the empty tomb.)

Hey, I missed that one. [Smile]

Silas seems most exposed to Western Christianity. You'll mainly find crucifixes above the altar in Roman Rite churches. In Eastern churches (with the exception of the Maronites), you'll find icons, especially of Christ seated on a throne around the altar, and few crucifixes. This reflects the traditional emphasis of the two main branches of Christianity: Crucifixion and Atonement in the West and Ressurrection and Theosis in the East.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oh pleeze
It's So Cheesy (to Fall in Love)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oh pleeze   Author's Homepage   E-mail oh pleeze   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
don't know if this has already been posted, just thought i'd add to the thread once more:

DALLAS -- For the millions of people who have read -- and perhaps believed -- Dan Brown's best-selling novel "The Da Vinci Code," Professor Darrell Bock wants to set the record straight.
breaking the code

--------------------
op

i'm taking the afternoon off to stalk my previous boss who fired me for taking afternoons off.

Posts: 728 | From: the funshine state! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages