snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » NFBSK Archive » The Vagina Building

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Vagina Building
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 08 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: this might not be that common outside of the
Chicago area, but it's very familiar within the Windy City. Our skyline
includes a prominent diamond-shaped building that people refer to as "The
Y" or with less subtlety as "The Vagina Building." (It was featured in the
film "Adventures in Babysitting.") The story goes that a female architect,
fed up with skylines dominated by what she thought were multiple phallic
symbols, decided to design a high-rise with a more feminine appearance.
I've heard this repeated over and over, and some friends insist that they
heard it on an architecture tour. I looked up the name online, and found
out it's called the Smurfit-Stone Building. Here's some info --
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=116680

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The building isn't really any less phallic than any other standard skyscraper. If a female architect really wanted a female genitalia inspired building, she should design an underground structure with a center courtyard. [Razz]

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Googling a bit, I found this:

From Six o Six magazine:

quote:
Now, before calling the Smurfit-Stone building a symbol for feminism, I had to call A. Epstein & Sons International, Inc., the architectural firm who designed the building back in 1984. According to Sid Epstein, one of the original architects, the building was designed to take advantage of the space on 150 North Michigan Avenue and to maximize the view overlooking Grant Park and Lake Michigan. When asked about any feminist or anti-phallic intention, he grew perplexed and almost annoyed, saying he had never heard of that claim before.

“[The designers] never had that thought in mind. It was never their intention. I assure you, absolutely not,” he repeated.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 22 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Milhouse Van Houten:
The building isn't really any less phallic than any other standard skyscraper. If a female architect really wanted a female genitalia inspired building, she should design an underground structure with a center courtyard. [Razz]

Don't know how "female" this building is, but it's definitely not phallic:

-

buf 'aka The Toilet Bowl' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Devoltchka
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devoltchka     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
as previously discussed
Posts: 6 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Actor
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Actor   E-mail Bad Actor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. I don't see anything is remotely female in this design.

--------------------
Bad Actor
_ _ _ _ __________________ _ _ _ _
Shhh! Vast Right-wing conspiracy at work...

Posts: 74 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lindiglo
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindiglo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Lindiglo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
that's one abstract vagina.

--------------------
A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.
-Sophia Loren

Posts: 1835 | From: Toronto | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 102 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks sort of like the middle part of the San Francisco MOMA.

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From the link in the OP:

"The building's designer was Sheldon Schlegman of A. Epstein & Sons."

If "Sheldon" is a she...

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's silly the way people have such a tendency to try to make every single shape fit into the context of sexual organs. And as has been noted, if you're going to look for a building that looks like a vagina, long towers jutting into the air are generally not your best bet.

No, a far more likely candidate is this design that was considered for a Beijing 2008 Olympics stadium: http://www.bjghw.gov.cn/forNationalStadium/indexeng.asp

(The set on the top, of course.) Although that could also be seen as an eye, particularly the one on the bottom right.

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In San Francisco there's the Transamerica Building, giving the finger to all of Marin County.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some peole think the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art building looks like a vagina.
Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Snafucated
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 08 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The "Big O" in Montreal. Vulval?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny, the differently shaded top and the "slit" in it, make it look even more like a penis to me.

--------------------
Meanwhile, at stately Wayne Manor...

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smoke
Corn on the Cobweb

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smoke     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love that building. Our first trip to Chicago I was just mesmerized by it in the night skyline. Beleive me I have one of the "dirtiest" minds ever and I saw nothing sexual in it just creative architecture that stood out in a city with a lot of creative architecture.

in case you can't tell we really loved Chicago.
MMMMM Giadarno's

--------------------
I sat on the cat. Now he is flat. Think I'll wear him outside as a hat.
'Bout time he did something useful-- an original poem by Smoke
(no cats were hurt in making this poem but one came damn close.)

Posts: 374 | From: the right side of the Detroit River Ontario | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If anything, I find that building even more phallic than most others...the diamond-shaped part at the top with the little slot in it looks like a very stylized representation of the glans penis, with urethral opening.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lotta Palaver
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Lotta Palaver         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to attend this church in Mesa, AZ for a short time right after this building opened. The architecture is supposed to be reminiscent of the orange groves that used to be there, but when you approach it from certain angles it looks like, well, boobs. [Eek!]

http://www.zzconsulting.com/images/Church.jpg

I always wanted to ask the people there "what were you thinking?" but never did.

--------------------
Your ultimate source of superfluous flummery.

Posts: 595 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aquadude
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquadude     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
WTF....... none of those (except prolly belaglik's) look dirty. I think it's just perversion.

Aqua--"And the Empire State Building is a penis, too"--dude

--------------------
¡El Toro Loco!

Posts: 63 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aranea russus
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aranea russus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snafucated:
The "Big O" in Montreal. Vulval?

OK So I think we've figured it out. Men get skyscrapers and office blocks, women get stadiums and ball parks.

Sound fair?

Posts: 625 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
radiocerk

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radiocerk   E-mail radiocerk   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The nuclear power plant in San Onofre has always looked like boobs to me. My friends and I call it the "Ode to Dolly Parton".
Posts: 27 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the Naked Gun films uses the mammary-like appearance of the San Onofre nuke plant as the punchline to a joke.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MOWOG

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MOWOG   E-mail MOWOG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The 16-sided Nott Memorial at Union College in Schenectady was known as either the Tit of Tutelage or the Nipple of Knowledge.
Posts: 35 | From: Norfolk | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
waffles....

--------------------
"You hold the Prince so I can duct tape his bottom to keep the bugs out." - My Mom

Posts: 193 | From: The Fabulous Finger Lakes, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MOWOG:
The 16-sided Nott Memorial at Union College in Schenectady was known as either the Tit of Tutelage or the Nipple of Knowledge.

It was just known as "Nott's Nipple" when I was there.

--------------------
"You hold the Prince so I can duct tape his bottom to keep the bugs out." - My Mom

Posts: 193 | From: The Fabulous Finger Lakes, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages