snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » NFBSK Archive » Scariest image on the Internet? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Scariest image on the Internet?
Dark Reality
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've posted this in other forums before, but all I get is answers like "goatse", "tubgirl," or "rotten.com."

I'm not talking about disgusting, make-you-puke images. I'm talking about images that are just freaky.

And I'm not talking about supposed pictures of "ghosts" either.

Let me show you what I have. I put together a crude website I called "The Scariest Images on the Internet" and uploaded all 10-15 that I had. The last one is a still from THE RING that is actually removed from the VHS version. If you've seen it, you'll recognize it. I need to get the one in the closet, too... it's almost as scary.

If you have a scarier image, there is an email link there, or better yet reply here. I get so much spam in that email it's not funny.

http://www.geocities.com/bookofomens/scary.htm

Again, the difference between a scary image and a disgusting one is the disgusting one is meant to make you want to run and throw up, and the scary one... well, it's a deeper shock.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
theloneabalone
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for theloneabalone     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
you must not get out a lot. thanks for the chuckles.

--------------------
num, me vexo?

Posts: 1299 | From: . | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 402 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe I'm not "getting" it , or those are hardly scary. I laughed my ass off with "spooky baby".

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the scariest image on the Internet. You might as well just spend all of your time trying to figure out the order of ranking of all the images that come after it.

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dramaqueen872005
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dramaqueen872005   E-mail dramaqueen872005   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barns & No Bull:
This is the scariest image on the Internet. You might as well just spend all of your time trying to figure out the order of ranking of all the images that come after it.

[lol] [lol] [lol] Nice, Barns. That picture isn't scary, just extremely weird... Some people out there are really... off

GODZILLA Queen

--------------------
"I'm Jimmy Joe Dean," he said, "Sort of like James Dean, but with a Texas twist"
"Yeah," Brent muttered. "The original Rebel Without a Brain."
~Drive me Wild, Julie Ortolon

Posts: 444 | From: Round Rock/San Angelo, TX | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaded

The link didn't work.

Jaded

Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The link didn't work.
Lucky you. The link did work for me. Unfortunately [Frown]

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Strawberries 'n Sugar
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Strawberries 'n Sugar   E-mail Strawberries 'n Sugar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The last one is a still from THE RING that is actually removed from the VHS version.
Just to nitpick, I have the VHS version and that scene is not cut out of it (and I find it a lot scarier than the closet scene as well).

Some of those scare the hell out of me, though. As for IT, I saw that when I was younger, and would have to agree that it was the thing that completely ruined clowns for me to this day.

Strawberries "clownophobia" 'n Sugar

--------------------
I made it!
-Me

Posts: 298 | From: Eau Claire, WI; formerly Bloomington, MN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i just get this msg with the linl on the op

Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!
The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got to see every picture except the one from The Ring, it wouldn't show. I guess I'll finally have to rent that movie to know what the heck everyone's talking about.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DizzyLizard

TrishDaDish - Here you go. For the record, I did not take that image off of the OP's site, I still had it saved from a conversation we had here, regarding "The Ring", versus "Ringu", some time back.

~Diz

moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DizzyLizard:
TrishDaDish - Here you go.

Ew.

The OP link is still not working. But now I'm interested.

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 301 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the picture, DizzyLizard. I don't know what kinda weird, tripped out stuff is happening in that scene, but yeepers, what a picture! Guess I'm still gonna rent that movie. I am so behind in renting movies....

And as for the original set of pictures...I do have 3-D glasses and have seen that 3-D Ghost girl photo before. It's not very good 3-D. Doesn't really pop out at you, doesn't show demension(which I probably spelled wrong) well. I'm not sure if this is duw to it being a basically black and white photo with color thrown in or what; I'm no expert on these things. All I know is the 3-D effect stinks.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andy Thorley

quote:

Actually, one of the kiddies over at 4chan made that image even worse...
(It involved turning the worm things green, making them ooze and putting a wasp in there...highly unpleasant)

brialee

Okay, I'm not brave enough to look but could someone describe the "scary baby" one. I've seen an image where a baby is born with red marks or welts all over his body ( I think I saw it under the horrors or medical forum here awhile back) and I think he has red eyes because of burst blood vessels. I'm wondering if it's the same one and I really don't want to look at it again!
DizzyLizard

Icon 212 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brialee:
Okay, I'm not brave enough to look but could someone describe the "scary baby" one.

"Scary baby" isn't scary at all, it's actually a very common "funny" picture, found all over the web, with a baby's face distorted to have large features, and an incredibly large, goofy grin.

Exactly like this

~Diz

Drummk
Rabies Home Journal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drummk   E-mail Drummk   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brialee:
Okay, I'm not brave enough to look but could someone describe the "scary baby" one. I've seen an image where a baby is born with red marks or welts all over his body ( I think I saw it under the horrors or medical forum here awhile back) and I think he has red eyes because of burst blood vessels. I'm wondering if it's the same one and I really don't want to look at it again!

I think that's harlequein foetus syndrome. I agree, it's disturbing and tragic.
Posts: 388 | From: Scotland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dark Reality

quote:
Originally posted by Strawberries 'n Sugar:
quote:
The last one is a still from THE RING that is actually removed from the VHS version.
Just to nitpick, I have the VHS version and that scene is not cut out of it (and I find it a lot scarier than the closet scene as well).
I'll take your word it's in yours. My roommates rented it on VHS; it was the second time I had seen the film. I sat on the edge of my seat, and when I missed the image, I got up and rewound it. Nothing, and my roommates weren't scared, as I was in the theater. When I bought it on DVD, I showed them the scene on DVD and they acknowledged the difference.

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyLizard:
[QB] TrishDaDish - Here you go. For the record, I did not take that image off of the OP's site, I still had it saved from a conversation we had here, regarding "The Ring", versus "Ringu", some time back.

~Diz

How'd you pull that??

I got mine by putting the DVD in my computer and using frame advance with PowerDVD. I've never seen a shot where the camera is pulled back and you can see her upper torso as well. The shot is less than half a second long.

This Infopop allows image posting? I'm a member on another Infopop, and it does not allow images. Here is the image I have, that some said wouldn't work, and DL posted an alternate for.

http://www.darkrealitymb.com/uploads/post-18-1073137308.jpg

(EDIT: I took the image out and posted a link. B/W, it's a teen girl being "scared to death"; her face is "stretched" vertically in sheer terror. It's a scene flashed at the audience in the horror film THE RING. (And by the way, Sadako is the little girl in the Japanese film, Ringu, on which The Ring was based. Samara is her American counterpart. Someone below posts that the picture is of Sadako. This girl's name is Katie.)

Crackrzz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the beginning of that pic at ringworld. Uck. There's a good reason I haven't seen this movie... but my SO wants to. Lucky for me, it's not available to rent on DVD here and the VCR is busted.

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andy Thorley

They weren't so scary...
moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I finally got the link to work.

For some reason I'm just not getting what's scary about the mannequins (I'm not denying some mannequins are scary, just not those) or the random girl who took a bad picture. I was half-expecting a screaming face to jump out while I was examining the mannequin's cheek/boob symmetry.

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lobby

Here's a link to a very very creepy painting that was discussed somewhere on this board a while ago.

http://www.surfingtheapocalypse.com/haunted_painting.html

Andy Thorley

http://weirdpicturearchive.com/pics/nazibabyexp.html
b/w pic of a baby with harlequin foetus syndrome.

really sad [Frown]

Lady Moon Shadows
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon Shadows   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I make a suggestion? Please.

We have emetophobes on this board, so we politely and respectfully warn them somehow of the things to come.

Then we have Me. I am sure I am not alone in this feeling. But I like looking at things I know will scare the shit out of me--no wait, I don't. But I can't help but to look because there was once a time I did like it.

The favor? When we have threads like this--can we not post the actual picture but a link to it (as most have done)and in addition to a link--can we give an accurate description of said picture?

I ask because that picture above--the cut scene of Sedako just scared the living hellfirefarkingpiss out of me. Big time.

Andy just did it-- he said "baby with harlequin foetus syndrome". Most of us on here are quite familiar with that because we've proven them as true (when questioned on their validity). The same with that one picture last year going around-- the Malaysian ghost coming out of the back of a room--...

Please please pretty please do this. I love participating in these threads as I can get a great visual of what you are talking about without having to click on the picture-- or if I do, it's my fault. But having it thrust at me like the one above is as bad as having the emetophobe seeing or hearing you know what.

Please, pretty please?

thank you

--------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in hand, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WoW what a ride!

Posts: 2924 | From: Flori-duh | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
paperphobic

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Thorley:
http://weirdpicturearchive.com/pics/nazibabyexp.html
b/w pic of a baby with harlequin foetus syndrome.

really sad [Frown]

That's incredibly sad. [Frown]

Over all, having pictures of people with physical conditions to scare people is quite morbid, but it is effective.

I myself was born with an inherital condition that made my face structure irregular, the middle part of the face stopped growing, so the face was distinguishably flat (before I had surgeries, that is). That was pretty innocent compared to the harlequin syndrome, but it still hurt watching other people's faces, and it hurt getting comments and looks from bypassers.

I can only try to imagine the pain of people worse off.

DizzyLizard

Lady Moonshadows - I completely understand what you are saying, and that's the reason why the silly baby picture was the only one that I actually posted, on the board. It's obviously not a baby who truly looks like this, but rather a manipulated photograph.

~Diz

Ian - Crawling on a Mirror
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian - Crawling on a Mirror   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I can tell, a good portion of the "creepiness factor" is based on the eyes of the subject. That and weird lighting can very easily give someone the jibblies.

--------------------
"I told you I didn't do it!" - Mr. Green

THATCHRUEF Network! Updated 9/29!

Posts: 113 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
theloneabalone
Xboxing Day

Icon 37 posted      Profile for theloneabalone     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian - On the Case of Who Dunnit:
From what I can tell, a good portion of the "creepiness factor" is based on the eyes of the subject. That and weird lighting can very easily give someone the jibblies.

this is true, what you find creepy or disgusting depends on your upbringing, but other are universal...
for example, I invite everyone to complete this BBC online test.

ETA : NOT FOR EMETOPHOBES! sorry I didn't realize sooner.

some answers are gonna vary widely, but others are near unanimous (you'll understand once you complete the test.)

--------------------
num, me vexo?

Posts: 1299 | From: . | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon Shadows
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon Shadows   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
before I click on that-- I will ask--does this "test" show pictures of anything? anything like what's been put in these links?

--------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in hand, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WoW what a ride!

Posts: 2924 | From: Flori-duh | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Da Kine
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Da Kine     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just went through the test. There are some yucky pictures, the worst being teeth and gums with maggots in them.

--------------------
Oh, so they have internet on computers now?

Posts: 71 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DizzyLizard

Hmmmm....the maggot/teeth & gums picture is interesting, as is the explination for how they got there, in the first place:

quote:
The elderly Israeli man in the photograph is thought to have been infected when he sat down under a tree to sleep. A sarcophagid or 'flesh' fly crawled inside his mouth and deposited its live larvae in the gaps between his gums and teeth.
Sounds like a number of ULs we've discussed right here on snopes.

~Diz

Cobra4J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobra4J   E-mail Cobra4J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You forget the creepiest image of all- Michael Jackson as he really looks today- freaky and weird
Posts: 479 | From: Owosso, MI | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StratoGal
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 37 posted      Profile for StratoGal   E-mail StratoGal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Dangit Barns! Just when I finally got my brains bleached from seeing that the FIRST time! [Razz]
Posts: 140 | From: Phoenix | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DizzyLizard

Hey StratoGal, go take that test that theloneabalone posted the link to, there's a picture just like it, only with teeth and gums, in place of a nipple. [Eek!]

~Diz

theloneabalone
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for theloneabalone     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
yep, that's the picture almost everyone will get a reaction from. the test explains that some people might find some images disturbing due to cultural upbringing, but those that look like they are related to disease are universally recognized as disgusting, and that disgust is acting as a defense mechanism.

--------------------
num, me vexo?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages