snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » NFBSK Archive » origination of "well-hung"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: origination of "well-hung"
Farr-ah-huh
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I put up a search for the origination of the term "well-hung" and didn't come up with anything, so if anyone has a book-a-chow about this topic please forgive me... [Thwack]

the story that was told to me was that when men were hung, if it was done correctly (i.e. snapping the neck instead of strangeling to death) all the blood would rush to the lower portion of the body thus causing an erection. therefore, if a man got an erection during a hanging, he was "well-hung"
this story has the sound and feeling of a UL, but i can't find the facts to debunk it, can anyone help me out with this one?

Farrah "never seen a man hung, but i HAVE seen...nevermind" Dakota

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
You're the DoubleD in Disguise

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't speak to the veracity of the "hanging" story, but it seems to be that the explanation might just be simply that when a man's organ is flaccid, it hangs down. If it's (ahem) particularly sizable, he's well-hung because it's hanging down quite a ways.

Double"blushing"D

tha girl's a supa geek, supa geeky

Wheeeee! My first book-a-chow
SaltyBob

quote:
the story that was told to me was that when men were hung, if it was done correctly (i.e. snapping the neck instead of strangeling to death) all the blood would rush to the lower portion of the body thus causing an erection

Well, I'm not a medical professional or anything, but I'm pretty sure the opposite occurs. When the person is slowly strangled, he gets an erection, sometimes ejaculating. That's the principle behind autoerotic asphyxiation, a form of masturbating by strangling. Its said to give an incredible orgasm. I don't think that has anything to do with the phrase "well-hung" (though, since it was thought entertaining to see a guy struggle as he was hanged, maybe there is a correlation).

Salty "read too many forensic books" Bob

Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Farr-ah-huh:
the story that was told to me was that when men were hung, if it was done correctly (i.e. snapping the neck instead of strangeling to death) all the blood would rush to the lower portion of the body thus causing an erection. therefore, if a man got an erection during a hanging, he was "well-hung"

Farrah "never seen a man hung, but i HAVE seen...nevermind" Dakota

The term I believe you are looking for is "Priapism". As an EMT, I have been taught to note the presence of a priapism in a male patient as an indication of possible cervicle-spinal injury. It is a condition caused by spinal cord injury (it does not occure in every spinal-cord injury, but if present in a trauma patient it may indicate such an injury), and not caused by blood "rushing to the lower portion of the body".

As for it being the origin of the term "well hung", I have no idea, but I personall don't believe it is...

Atlanta " 'erection' and 'hung' seem oposites to me" Jake

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Farr-ah-huh

Icon 19 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tha girl's a supa geek, supa geeky:
Wheeeee! My first book-a-chow

thanx for the link supa geeky.
although the whole thing still doesn't seem to have any hard proof against it (snicker)

Farrah

Archangel
Spider Cider

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archangel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Many a bad marriage's saved by a good hanging"

Twelfth Night

So the thought if not the actual phrase is at least 500 years old. Thank the gods there isn't some spurious acronym floating round to annoy all snopesters, touch wood.

Posts: 1749 | From: -> Canberra <-/ Hong Kong / London | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by archangel:
Thank the gods there isn't some spurious acronym floating round to annoy all snopesters, touch wood.

Such as "Having Unusually Noticeable Gonads." [Big Grin]

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Farr-ah-huh

quote:
Originally posted by Nonny Mouse and Blue's Suede Clues:
quote:
Originally posted by archangel:
Thank the gods there isn't some spurious acronym floating round to annoy all snopesters, touch wood.

Such as "Having Unusually Noticeable Gonads." [Big Grin]

Nonny

YOMANK! [Thwack]
may i use that sometime Nonny?

Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Farr-ah-huh:
YOMANK! [Thwack]
may i use that sometime Nonny?

Be my guest.

I hope that doesn't wind up being reported as an actual folk etymology. Will I be drummed off the board if I'm responible for creating one?

Nonny "hopes to be around long enough to hit 4000 posts" Mouse

[edited to fix ridiculously cumbersome quote string]

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kiwibird

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According the the OED, the exact phrase "well hung" dates back to at least
1611 (at least when referring to ears) and to 1681 when referring to gonads.
No derivation is given.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages