snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Crime Archive » Boston Store Ceases Sale of 'Snitch' Shirt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Boston Store Ceases Sale of 'Snitch' Shirt
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 84 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A clothing store owner has agreed to stop selling "Stop Snitching" T-shirts amid concerns the message was intimidating murder witnesses during a surge in violent crime.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SHIRT_BAN?SITE=FLTAM

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, I'm going to have to go through this one piece by piece, because it's making little to no sense:

quote:
Antonio Ansaldi Clothing has stocked the shirts since 1999 and sold 300 to 400 a month, he said.

Boston has had 66 homicides so far this year, matching a 10-year high, and police haven't identified a suspect in 70 percent of them. Police say many witnesses fear retaliation, and Menino said the "Stop Snitching" shirts are part of the problem.

Edited now because Lydia explained it below and made this post a LOT less interesting/funny. I try to be sensitive [Smile]

quote:
At a meeting Thursday, the mayor said he would send city employees into shops to seize the shirts.

Lawyers for the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts asked Menino to abandon that plan.

Is that even legal? Without any research/data, they just assume that everyone is reading these t-shirts and says "Yes, I COULD be a target if I snitch - that has never before occured to me - thank heavens I read that before it was too late!"

I need to go t-shirt shopping now. Who knows? Maybe I'll find a "Give me an A!" shirt I can wear to class LOL

SW

ETA: Thank you Lydia: I was unaware of the video and the other problems going along w/ the saying/shirts. I was just referencing the article above. Thanks again!

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about Boston, but I know that in Baltimore, witness intimidation has been a huge problem -- to the point where witnesses to crime have been killed. The most well-known case was a family whose home was fire bombed in retaliation of either testifying or promising to testify. I think all (or at least most) of the family died.

Here, a video was being sold called "Stop Snitching." I know there was some pro athlete (either football or basketball, can't recall which) somehow affiliated with Baltimore who appeared in the video which, according to news reports, was basically telling people not to testify against criminals "or else." The shirts, I believe, were a spin off from this.

So, is the problem the t-shirts? No. But, the t-shirts somehow glamorize or spread the message that one should not stand up for their community and testify against criminals "or else."

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YuletideWynters:
quote:
At a meeting Thursday, the mayor said he would send city employees into shops to seize the shirts.

Lawyers for the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts asked Menino to abandon that plan.

Is that even legal?
No, it's not legal. Hizzoner backed off after the blatant illegality was pointed out to him by ACLUM (of which I am a proud member).

Since he could not apply legal pressure, Hizzoner applied other pressure: he got the pastors of local churches to visit the store and "ask" the proprietor to pull the shirts. Guilt works sometimes.

The owner of the store is a (former) gang member who has a vested interest in staying on the community's good side (either because he really is clean now, or because he needs to appear clean now), so he caved.

The rise in crime IMO has nothing to do with T-shirt sales and everything to do with some other factors:

1) About a decade ago, Boston instituted several very successful community policing programs and anti-crime initiatives which put a lot of bad guys in jail. Many of those guys got 10-year sentences. Many of those guys are now getting out of jail. [Eek!]

2) Many of those programs were discontinued after the crime rate, particularly the murder rate, fell so low that they were "no longer necessary." [Roll Eyes]

3) There are 400 fewer police officers in Boston now than there were 10 years ago. The city has been forced to spend personnel funds on unfunded federal Homeland Security mandates.

4) AFA the murder rate is concerned, Boston has for several decades enjoyed a lower per-capita homicide rate than most large cities. What we consider to be "high" is actually quite low for a city that size. Perhaps the law of averages is catching up.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dang, if it's that easy, maybe we should start selling t-sharts that say "Stop killing people"

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
quote:
Originally posted by YuletideWynters:
quote:

Is that even legal?
No, it's not legal. Hizzoner backed off after the blatant illegality was pointed out to him by ACLUM (of which I am a proud member).

Since he could not apply legal pressure, Hizzoner applied other pressure: he got the pastors of local churches to visit the store and "ask" the proprietor to pull the shirts. Guilt works sometimes.

The owner of the store is a (former) gang member who has a vested interest in staying on the community's good side (either because he really is clean now, or because he needs to appear clean now), so he caved.

The rise in crime IMO has nothing to do with T-shirt sales and everything to do with some other factors:

1) About a decade ago, Boston instituted several very successful community policing programs and anti-crime initiatives which put a lot of bad guys in jail. Many of those guys got 10-year sentences. Many of those guys are now getting out of jail. [Eek!]

2) Many of those programs were discontinued after the crime rate, particularly the murder rate, fell so low that they were "no longer necessary." [Roll Eyes]

3) There are 400 fewer police officers in Boston now than there were 10 years ago. The city has been forced to spend personnel funds on unfunded federal Homeland Security mandates.

4) AFA the murder rate is concerned, Boston has for several decades enjoyed a lower per-capita homicide rate than most large cities. What we consider to be "high" is actually quite low for a city that size. Perhaps the law of averages is catching up.

Four Kitties

Thank you for that information, it was so plentiful and explained a lot [Smile] Thanks!

Skye-Also a member of the ACLU!-Wynters

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Recent editorial cartoon from the Boston Globe -- check out December 6th.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages