snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Crime Archive » Accused killer was 'disgusted' that transgender teen was male

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Accused killer was 'disgusted' that transgender teen was male
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 15 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
News story here

For a little back story:

quote:
One of three men accused of killing a 17-year-old Newark transgender nearly three years ago testified today that he participated in the attack after learning that Gwen Araujo was not the woman he thought he'd had sex with.

This is the part I don't really get:

quote:
"I thought it was impossible to derive pleasure from a man unless you were gay," he said. "I was having serious questions about my sexuality."
Sometimes, it's hard to believe I walk around on the face of the earth with these people.

Skye

ETA: Can anyone "understand" this point of view / logic ?

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Advocatus Diaboli
Infiniti Gritty Dirt Band

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Advocatus Diaboli     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can understand the logic though of course I believe it to be totally and completely flawed. The man in question Jose Merel believes in this equation.

enjoy hot man sex = teh gay !

Of course it abosolutely does not. Simply having a gay experiance doesn't make you gay or even bisexual. Just because a women who is being raped or a child who is being molested feels physical pleasure from the act does not mean that is what they like or wanted. It's somewhat the same thing. They didn't have a choice, Jose did not have an informed choice. Gwen never should've have hidden the fact that she was of the biological and genital sex male but that doesn't justify of course any overly violent reaction, certainly not murder.

I'm reminded of a line in the movie Kissing Jessica Stein that goes something like this:

Gay Man to Gay Boyfriend: If you were blindfolded and I blew you and then Helen blew you blew you would you even be able to tell the difference?

The real question here is not whether he could but would the difference matter to him mentally, to his sense of being. Obviously in this homophobic culture we have the difference does matter. Most people have a hard time believing that someone who was straight could like the physical sensations of a gay experiance.

Now of course some of these people professing to be straight but having gay sex are probably queerer than a three dollar bill, most of the probably but not all would be.

I too feel sad and disgusted that we live in a world that would have a society and parents that would raise such people.

Ok interesting first post I think, hope it's a good one [Big Grin]

--------------------
BASHIR: It's not your fault things are the way they are.

LEE: Everybody tells themselves that... and nothing ever changes...

Posts: 101 | From: Oakhurst, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Priestley's Mouse
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Priestley's Mouse   E-mail Priestley's Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm confused. I thought "transgender" referred to people who have had a sex change operation, or are going through the process to have one. The article seems to imply that the victim was male.

Am I reading something wrong, did the article mis-use the transgender term, or is my defintion incorrect?

PM

--------------------
More about me...

Posts: 1156 | From: Rural Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a huge local case. IIRC She lived as a female but was still anatomically male. Her mother even petitioned the court to have her gender changed on her records posthumously.
She was also IMO very pretty.
http://www.blazepro.com/gwen/
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/05/26/BAG246RHQQ19.DTL

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Advocatus Diaboli
Infiniti Gritty Dirt Band

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Advocatus Diaboli     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just looked up the definition on google and this is what it gave from the online Webster dictionary as

exhibiting the appearance and behavioral characteristics of the opposite sex

But this is of course opening a whole can of worms even with in the community of what exactly a transgended person is. We love to pigeonhole and label as much as any other person at times which is why you end up with ridiculous acronyms like so GLBTTTQQ, 10 points to anyone who can guess them all without looking it up. It could probably even be longer.

In other words I think it is a fair description.

AD

--------------------
BASHIR: It's not your fault things are the way they are.

LEE: Everybody tells themselves that... and nothing ever changes...

Posts: 101 | From: Oakhurst, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bored and Dangerous
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bored and Dangerous   Author's Homepage   E-mail Bored and Dangerous   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Priestley's Mouse:
I'm confused. I thought "transgender" referred to people who have had a sex change operation, or are going through the process to have one. The article seems to imply that the victim was male.

Am I reading something wrong, did the article mis-use the transgender term, or is my defintion incorrect?

PM

Transgender can sometimes refer to someone in this situation: they feel that they were born the wrong sex, and live that identity in some areas of their life, but stay the same sex, and don't necessarily want to get surgery for many reasons. A man I met once had a successful career, a wife, three sons, and a writing career on the side, but he went by a woman's name in private and to his friends. Otherwise, he went by his male name. Obviously, his family was very understanding.

--B&D

--------------------
My blog

Watch?? I'm gonna pray, man! Know any good religions?--Zaphod Beeblebrox

Posts: 2366 | From: Harrisonburg, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe in the case Gwen was a pre-op Trans-Woman who couldn't nessesarily afford to have the operation.

GLBTTTQQ, Um Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Transexual, I give up what are the Q's?

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blucanary:
I believe in the case Gwen was a pre-op Trans-Woman who couldn't nessesarily afford to have the operation.

GLBTTTQQ, Um Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Transexual, I give up what are the Q's?

Eddy could not get the operation because he(sic) was only 17
Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Priestley's Mouse:

PM

Actually that would be transexual because they have or are planning to actually change their sex. Some people's definition of transexual is a little more broad to include people who primarily live as the oppostite sex even if they have no intentions of having an operation. Transgender is closer to what B&D describes above...though there is a whole spectrum and no real agreed upon definitions.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages