snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Horrors Archive » 10 Year Old Boy Fears Monster; Disappears Into Closet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 10 Year Old Boy Fears Monster; Disappears Into Closet
Ms_Anthropy
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you heard the story about Danny, who was afraid of a monster in his closet and disappeared forever when he was locked inside?

My son and I were watching a repeat of Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction on the Sci-Fi channel, and saw a story about a 10 year old boy who was afraid of a monster in his closet. His siblings or friends locked him inside the closet one day and when they opened the door, he had disappeared, only his clothes remained. No trace of the boy was ever found.

The show claimed the story was a fact. I have a hard time accepting that, and the only information about the story I can come up with is an episode description on the TV.com website (it's episode 2, segment 3).

Has anyone else heard of this story? My ten year old son is now freaked out and I'd like to show him more "facts" of the case than the tv producer's claim that it was real.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 88 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Haven't heard the story, so I can't really help. However, I would say, you should write to the producers of this crap and tell them they are now responsible for coming over to your house every night and rocking your son to sleep.

Bastiches.

Ali "not a true fact, I guess" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This sounds like a folktale I heard when I was a kid--a boy won't go near the basement and his parents can't cure him of his fear so they take him to the kiddy shrink. The psychologist recommends the boy be forced to remain in the basement for several hours in order to cure his fear, so the parents take the boy home and put him in the basement.

The psychologist then brags to one of his co-workers about how this will cure the kid's phobia. His co-worker tells him this is a terrible thing to do to a child. The psychologist gets worried and drives to the parents' house; they open the basement door to find the child dead and horribly mutilated.

The story was apparently intended to be a metaphor for the child's psychological destruction due to society's "Buck up and be a Man" attitude. I don't remember who wrote it. Write a letter and ask what the sources of the story were (ETA,I mean the TV story, not the one I heard) and remind your son he shouldn't believe everything he sees on TV.

Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like the plot to the next Monsters, Inc. movie. Either that or it's just an old wives' tale used to scare chilren from haning around in their closets for too long (but why?).

- Pseudo "closet fiend" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
finger stutters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for finger stutters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know anything about that story, but Snopes seems to have a strong dislike for Beyond Belief. Here is another disscusion that someone was asking about a different segment from that show. See the first and third replys

--------------------
YHBT. YHL. HAND.
My youtube channel

Posts: 258 | From: Colorado | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms_Anthropy

thescoot: I followed your link. Snopes replied
quote:
quote:
The full title of the show is Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction
Yes, I know. And this is how they distinguish between the two:

Fiction: We made it up.

Fact: Somebody else made it up.

That's pretty much what I told my son. I said, if you listen to what he says, all it means is that the show's writers didn't write the story. They found the story somewher else, but people say anything.

It's a fun show to watch sometimes, but calling it "fact" is stupidity.

Boogers wrote:
quote:
This sounds like a folktale I heard when I was a kid--a boy won't go near the basement and his parents can't cure him of his fear so they take him to the kiddy shrink. The psychologist recommends the boy be forced to remain in the basement for several hours
Sounds like somebody didn't like psychiatrists.
Western Fallout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Western Fallout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boogers:
This sounds like a folktale I heard when I was a kid--a boy won't go near the basement and his parents can't cure him of his fear so they take him to the kiddy shrink. The psychologist recommends the boy be forced to remain in the basement for several hours in order to cure his fear, so the parents take the boy home and put him in the basement.

The psychologist then brags to one of his co-workers about how this will cure the kid's phobia. His co-worker tells him this is a terrible thing to do to a child. The psychologist gets worried and drives to the parents' house; they open the basement door to find the child dead and horribly mutilated.

When reading the OP, this is the exact story that came to mind. I was going to post something about it, but you beat me to it [Smile] Do you remember where you heard it, or anything specific about it? I seem to remember reading it a long time ago in some book.

--------------------
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Posts: 348 | From: West Virginia, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I read it in one of those Weekly Reader type magazines that are handed out in the public schools. This would have been in 9th grade, or about 1978. The thing that now strikes me as odd about the story is that I recall at the end the parents and the psychologist are just staring at the body wondering what happened (no freaking out or screaming.)
Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
However, I would say, you should write to the producers of this crap and tell them they are now responsible for coming over to your house every night and rocking your son to sleep.

Not to come down on the OP, but it's not the show's fault, unless they were advertising it for small children (and really, not even then). It's ultimately the parent's responsibility what their kids watch. And hardly anything on the Sci-Fi channel is exactly young-kid-friendly...

quote:
I think I read it in one of those Weekly Reader type magazines that are handed out in the public schools. This would have been in 9th grade, or about 1978. The thing that now strikes me as odd about the story is that I recall at the end the parents and the psychologist are just staring at the body wondering what happened (no freaking out or screaming.)
According to the OP, there was no body...

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Western Fallout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Western Fallout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rehcsif Mit:
According to the OP, there was no body...
-Tim

Oh, no, we were talking about a different story that this thread reminded us of, about a boy afraid of the basement of his house. It very closely resembles this story.

--------------------

Posts: 348 | From: West Virginia, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gerald
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald   E-mail Gerald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about the closet story, but I pretty well remember the basement story:
David H. Keller, "The Thing in the Cellar", published for the first time in "Weird Tales" in 1932. It even has been translated in French!
Complete text here:

http://thenostalgialeague.com/olmag/cellar.html

Posts: 14 | From: France | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BelleMorte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BelleMorte   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have seen that airing of Beyond Belief. Always did wonder how the kid vanished from the closet.

--------------------
"Cheating Hall Of Shame"-in honor of the dishonest.
Every driver, owner and crew chief has a place in our Hall, which won't be moving to Daytona Beach anytime soon. Lone exception? Kyle Petty, who hasn't won a race since 1754.

Posts: 545 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cosmo
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cosmo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I could swear that I read something very similar in an old EC 'Tales from the Crypt' or 'Vault of Horror' but I think it was the dad who went into the basement to prove to junior "there's nothing to be afraid of down here" and ultimately vanished...

--------------------
"Look at the size of Tifa's breasts! They're destroying our childrens future!"

Posts: 92 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
Sounds like the plot to the next Monsters, Inc. movie. Either that or it's just an old wives' tale used to scare chilren from haning around in their closets for too long (but why?).

"Better my son be gone than come out of the damned closet! I'll be damned if my boy is gay!"

Ow! OW!!! [fish]

When I read this, the first thing I thought of was that guy who walks into the closet and disappears in Real Genius and when the kid opens the door after him, he finds...nothing but his shirts hanging there!

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Western Fallout
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
Better my son be gone than come out of the damned closet! I'll be damned if my boy is gay!"

Ow! OW!!! [fish]

YOMANK!

This story also reminded me of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. And thanks Gerald for finding that story. I always loved that story (even though it seems like it was written by someone whose second language was English).

--------------------

Ms_Anthropy

Rehcsif Mit wrote:
quote:
Not to come down on the OP, but it's not the show's fault, unless they were advertising it for small children (and really, not even then).
I agree completely, it isn't the show's responsibility not to scare kids.

I was wondering if this story was some kind of urban legend and documented somewhere so I could find out if there were other, non-dramatized facts of the case that would shed new light on the "disappearance."

"The Thing in the Cellar" is a creepy story, but it is still presented as fiction, so it could not be the genesis for this supposed "fact"-based tale.

But thank you very much for your suggestions. I was thinking about "The Thing in the Cellar" before bedtime last night.

Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about if you explain to your son that the first part of this show's title is exactly accurate: it is precisely Beyond Belief. And you might read him the Ransom of Red Chief by O'Henry. While not about monsters, it did work for my "somebody's out to get me" fears at night.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shades of Pale

This show is regularly featured on the Sci-Fi network; I think they have one day a week where they show it all day.

That was what tipped me off to its fictional nature.

LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gayle, that is one of the best stories O'Henry wrote, IMO. As a child, I loved it.

As for the story, the only place I ever heard it was also on the Beyond Belief show. We speculated that maybe there were some facts left out. Somtimes they say a story is "based on actual events". A theory we came up with is that in the "true story" (if there is one) is that perhaps the kids who locked him in the closet made that tale up and took him somewhere and hurt/killed him.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gnome
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gnome   E-mail gnome   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can see it as a cultural meme... that is, of a childhood fear being true, and adults refusing to listen. Childhood fears can be very primal and this taps into it.

Stephen King plays off this all the time, and does it well. One particular story that comes to mind is "The Boogeyman". That one spooked me thoroughly, and I was an adult. I regard it as one of the most frightening stories he ever wrote.

Posts: 418 | From: New Port Richey, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chickee Daizy
Live and Let Madai

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chickee Daizy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gnome, I agree with you about "The Boogyman." When I read that story, I had goosebumps. I still regard it as one of the creepiest damn things I have ever read, and I love horror stories.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkies...They don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posts: 907 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chickee Daizy:
Gnome, I agree with you about "The Boogyman." When I read that story, I had goosebumps. I still regard it as one of the creepiest damn things I have ever read, and I love horror stories.

There was a story in one of my junior high English class readers called "Thus I Refute Beelzy" by one John Collier, in which it was not the child but the skeptical father that got munched upon by a supposed figment.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LuMaria

I never believed any of the stories on Beyond Belief, though I did love the show for the pure cheese factor of it. Most of the stories, even the ones they claimed as "fact", were debunked by snopes anyway. But yes, I'd say that if there's no way anyone can find basis for this particular tale (besides a fictional story), it's fiction all the way around.
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Boogyman was one of the best stories in that entire King collection, IMO.

Edited to add missing vowels.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hectorcaliente
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 16 posted      Profile for hectorcaliente   Author's Homepage   E-mail hectorcaliente   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember watching that episode about the kid in the closet dissapearing. I really do think it is fake, because there is no news articles about it.
Based on similar events? Maybe they left out the fact that the kid just ended up scaring himself so much that he just became unresponsive to anything. There are many stories out there about mysterious dissapearances. But those have been proven to be hoaxes. I agree with some of the poelpes comments.."you cant believe everything you see on tv". I also find the story of the fat dude in the Superman cape being able to have superstrenght. Thats way too far fetched.

Posts: 36 | From: San Diego | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shades of Pale

LittleDuckh , one of the scariest moments in Salem's Lot (the book) for me was the description of horror the doubting priest felt when he beheld the face of the Vampire for the first time and recognized that it was Mr. Flip, his own personal boogeyman, from his boyhood closet. King knows how to tap into those fears because like some of us he's never really completely outrgown them. We just learn to live with them. Last I read he still can't sleep with his foot hanging out from under the sheet over the edge of the bed...damned if I can either.
kanedagame

i saw that on the tv show and when they said it was the truth i was like how the hell come i never heard about it.
TailsAndy
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TailsAndy   E-mail TailsAndy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading this thread gave me the chills so badly, it's not even funny.

And some basements give me the creeps. My own basement creeps me out because there are several little hidden corners that anything can creep out of. [shudder] My uncle's basement, not so much because I've slept there, it's a basement with a carpet tv, couches, etc. My friend's basement, not at all because it's narrow and you can see all parts of it at all times. And there's cool old bikes.

--------------------
You know when you've found it... because you feel it when they take it away. - Damien Rice

Posts: 103 | From: Buffalo, New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shambalah

I have a hard time believing this...
and so does the monster under my bed.

Bella Moon.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages