snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Horrors Archive » Waterslides and Razorblades

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Waterslides and Razorblades
Lukasaurus
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
An old UL, I remember hearing about the waterslides at "Mt Druitt" near where I live, in Western Sydney, being shutdown because someone stuck razor blades to the waterslides with chewing gum. I've heard this rumour about other places in Australia as well, namely, Grundy's in surfers paradise.

Can anyone tell me if this is true?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ghost on Toast
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Ghost on Toast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't heard anything myself but I imagine that it would be bloody hard to do unless the slide was closed for some reason.

Having just spent a weekend at Centre Parcs whizzing down waterslides like a demented 5-year-old, however, just the thought of it is making me wince.

Posts: 884 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aranea russus
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aranea russus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of the water slides I went on in Spain didn't need rasor blades, the sections were so badly put together it was like having a mandolin grater take sections of skin off your back. Only when you get off do you realise that the screams of those before you were those of pain.

Aaaaaaaaa!

Aranea

Posts: 625 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I further what Ghost on Toast said.

Gum doesn't like to stick to wet things, and the force of the water would just wash it down into the splach pool. Also, if you're going down the ride, you're going too fast to stop and take the time to try to do that. If you do stop, there are lifeguards watching and a big line behind you.

Also, where would these supposed gum chewing razorblade toting people keep their razors? In their mouths while they chew their gum and go down waterslides? In their swimsuits or shorts, while they go down waterslides? Then they'd have to take them out. Who's going to fish around in their trunks, bikini, whatevers for hidden razors while going down a waterslide?

Also, if there were razors on rides slicing people up, people would notice the injuries and blood in the water and so on. The ride would get shut down. So who's idea of fun is it to pay the spendy waterslide entrance fees, only to have the rides shut down?

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sunline
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep I heard this too when I was a kid.

As a result my parents wouldn't let me go on the waterslide at Grundy's [Frown]

ETA - I don't know whether this is UL or based on fact. Sounds very UL like to me.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh how awful! I think the real practical jokers in this case are the people that are spreading the rumor, not the ficticious razer blade hiders.

Perhaps the motivation is to shorten lines at water parks? I know I'm not the only one who's waited 15min + to go down a slide that takes less than a minute.

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Holly Golightly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Golightly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My cousin used to tell me this about the tube slides at Derby Baths in Blackpool.

His version was that people stopped themselves on the way down and then ramed razor blades in the joint where the top half and bottom half of the tube meet.

I never actullay went to Derby Baths for other reasons, and it was pulled down in the late eighties, so we're looking at the early eighties for this UL.

What was unusual was that the slides were an after addition and went outside of the building.

Holly 'wince' Golightly

Posts: 1555 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages