snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Horrors Archive » Childhood fears? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Childhood fears?
JanieChiswick
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My great childhood fears were that there were ghosts and monsters patrolling upstairs at night. Pretty run of the mill, really.

But one recurring image I had from childhood is quite strange. I imagined going to a house and seeing a coffin lined up vertically against the wall with a small window for the skeleton to peep out. It sounds funny now but when you're about five it is really macabre and frightening.
The really odd thing is that years later, watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show, this scene appears in the film, right at the start of "Time Warp". When I saw it I freaked!
As a matter of interest, that film came out in 1975, the same time I was 5. Way before vidoes etc. I'm 100% certain I couldn't have seen a clip of the film at the age of 5, especially as back then my parents had a rather basic black and white set and I certainly never saw anything "adult" in it.
hmmm. Strange. [Confused]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horatio

The first time I ever went to a haunted house was when I asked my dad to take me to the Smorgasbord. It was a former restaurant that was changed into a haunted house. It was around Halloween, and we went in and paid the girl behind the desk. I saw a miniature robot that resembled Freddy Krueger. That was my first clue that I was not gonna like this one bit. The second was when the girl yelled into the next room (which we could not see into) "Are you ready for them??" and the guy yelled back "Yeah! Send 'em in!" So we went in and I saw this guy with a chainsaw saying he was going to kill this girl who was chained up to the wall. It scared me out of my mind. My dad urged me to continue on. We walked into the next room, which contained a stuffed scarecrow. This was easy as pie, I was thinking. Immediately the scarecrow yelled "Boo!" and I ran all the way out of the building to the front room with the girl behind the desk. I was really scared and my dad took me home. Now when I go to haunted houses I am never scared. [Big Grin]
RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparverius, Dragon of Eden:
When I was about 5, my aunt made the mistake of reading to me a HORRIBLE story about a beggar child in ancient Pompeii, whose only friend was his little dog.

OMG, I remember that story! I think it was in one of our grade school readers. I still think about it. It did have a big fright factor from a child's point of view. Poor little dog.

Ring"glad we live in the Atlantic Provinces"Keeper

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
june_miller, sand in my shorts

Icon 202 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The thread about the recent solar eclipse reminded me of a childhood fear I had of them. Adults were always so adamant about how you shouldn't look directly at an eclipse that I thought if I so much as glanced at one for half a second, my eyes would instantly turn to cinders.
Callie Cat
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Callie Cat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by june_miller, sand in my shorts:
The thread about the recent solar eclipse reminded me of a childhood fear I had of them. Adults were always so adamant about how you shouldn't look directly at an eclipse that I thought if I so much as glanced at one for half a second, my eyes would instantly turn to cinders.

Oooh I also had that fear. I thought you would instantly go blind. I remember when we were in school during an eclipse the teacher would close the curtains and I would walk to the bus looking at my feet so I wouldn't accidentally see the eclipse and go blind!

As a kid I was also very afraid that my dolls and barbies came alive during the night. There is a kids tv show that comes on now that shows dolls coming alive during the night and having fun but it would have freaked me out as a kid.

Callie [Eek!]

Posts: 1304 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SmartKitty

Icon 301 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was really little, about 3 or so, there was a TV show called "The Saint." The show itself wasn't scary in the least, but the opening theme was really spooky-sounding, at least to me. The opening sequence showed an animated stick figure with that creepy music in the background. Every time it came on, I'd run screaming from the room. I was even afraid of stick figures (I called them "saints") because they reminded me of that show.

Smart "Saint Elsewhere" Kitty

John Dope

quote:
Originally posted by Locnar:
I had a fear of the horrible killer monkey. This was a spider monkey like critter with glowing red eyes and large metalic claws and fangs. [Eek!] Fast and viscious little bugger. I have no idea where I got this image from, but I still would'nt want to run into one.

Reminds me of this little fella (scroll down to the sixth row of posters)
Methos Divino
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methos Divino   Author's Homepage   E-mail Methos Divino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Try watching "Thriller" when you are only 3 or 4. Watching Michael Jackson turn into a werewolf was incredibly traumatic.

Oh, and I went through this phase where I didn't want to go to sleep at night, thanks to Nightmare on Elm Street.

And I had a fear of toilets too, thanks to a Ghoulies movie, I think. There's this little monster that comes out of the toilet and eats a guy while he's sitting on it.

Oh yeah, and of course, how about they Psycho fear, peeping out of the shower every once in a while???

--------------------
"But, what does it do?"
"It doesn't DO anything, that's the beauty of it."

Posts: 70 | From: Puerto Rico | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Van Couver
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Van Couver   E-mail Van Couver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I watched Fire Starter when I was 7. For the next years I was afraid thet the house would start to burn while I was asleep.

--------------------
FAMILY(n): Where the term insane is a RELATIVE term //Threadkiller: Watch this line.....it might be the last on this topic........

Posts: 2146 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ragey
Turkey Largo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ragey   E-mail Ragey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know this sounds strange, but one of my childhood fears were comedies. I was scared by the canned laughter, because you heard people laughing, but couldn't see them, and nobody in the film or show knew they were there and took no notice, so I was afraid there were people watching my every step, laughing at my blunders, "aww"ing when something sad happens and so on.
I also had a fear of blinking. Blinking. I was scared that if I blinked, in the split second of being unable to see, a giant faceless guy in a pink jumpsuit would come and hack my head off, or vaporise me. I had nightmares of that guy for years, he could run really fast, and usually my nightmares of him involved the guy running through a bunch people, vaporising them instantly, then the same happening to me.
After growing out of that, I became afraid of reflective materials (Bloody Mary) and elevators. Long story.

Posts: 28 | From: Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland, UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simon Says
The First USA Noel

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Simon Says   E-mail Simon Says   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister and I were just talking about the weird things that I was afraid of as a child...

The first one is: fear of blue toilet water. I don't know why, but when I was about 4 or 5 I refused to flush the toilet if the water inside was blue. I just remember thinking that sometimes when you flush the blue goes away and if you were at someone's house and they wanted their toilet water to be blue and you flushed it and made it go away, they would be really, really mad at you. So I got to the point that I would not even use the bathroom if the toilet water was blue.

Second irrational fear: being...LOST. Again around age 4-5. My mom was notorious for getting lost while driving home from different places. We lived in Southern California at the time. I would cry and scream and have a fit because I thought if you were lost you were LOST FOREVER... I have 3 older sisters that were always in the car too. My next oldest sister is four years older than me so she would've been 8-9 and she would pick up on my mom not really knowing the right way to go and she would egg the situation on. "Mom...are we...LOST???" and then I would starting screaming and crying hysterically. Even though my oldest sister, who would have been 13 or 14 at the time, has an excellent sense of direction and could usually tell mom where to turn and whatnot, I knew that she was really just a kid and if MOM didn't know where to go than we were in big trouble!!!

Those are my two most dramatic fears. I was also afraid of the dark and other little kid fears.

ETA: Nuclear War... I was a kid in the 80's. We were all afraid of this weren't we? I thought we would all die in a nuclear war someday or from not having an ozone.

Posts: 624 | From: Kansas | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to think there was a skinless man under my bed - like a bloody gory sinewy man. I thought he'd try to grab me and pull me under the bed, so every night I'd put a big white teddy bear by my head - resting against the headboard - so in the morning I would know if he'd tried to grab me cause if he did, there'd be a big bloody handprint on my teddy bear. Never any handprints and I'd never let my foot dangle off the bed!

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pandorable

My #1 fear as a child was Godzilla.

OK, stop laughing.

When I was 4, my grandparents got me a 2-3 foot tall Godzilla toy - I opened it and cried. They had to put it in the basement. I still don't like going into their basement (some 25 years later).

Other kid fear - when I was 6 years old, at night I would see a light travel around my 2nd story bedroom from right over my bed to the door (3/4 of the way around the room). I thought that an alien space ship was going to take me away. I was a child of divorce and was always afraid of being separated from my mom without her knowing. I was always really quiet when I'd see the lights because I didn't want the aliens to hear me, but one night it happened again and again and I screamed. My mom and stepdad came into my room, and when it happened again, they explained that it was the headlights from the cars outside.

I was also terrified of loud nighttime thunderstorms - we lived near D.C. and I thought that the Communists would wait until it was "a dark and stormy night" to launch an attack, and that you wouldn't be able to tell a thunderclap from a bomb.

Pan 'What would you give for your kid fears?' dorable

PS - I was also afraid of the things I still fear as an adult - snakes (the worst - can't even look at a picture until I prepare myself), sharks, and heights.

FuzzyGirlElf
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzyGirlElf   E-mail FuzzyGirlElf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My aunt gave me an Annie doll when I was little that I was absolutly terrified of. My parents would always stick her behind all my other stuffed animals when I went to bed, but somehow I'd wake up and there she'd be, just a pair of spooky white eyes staring at me from behind those other stuffties. It got so bad that I had to watch as my dad bagged her up in a trash bag and took her off to the dumpster.

Just think of how tramatized I would be now if my folks had decided to be mean and put her back on my shelf, all dirty and gross from laying in the trash! [Eek!]

Posts: 257 | From: Georgia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Like JanieChiswick, I also had one of my childhood fears manifest years later into a movie. Every night I would take inventory of the shadows in my room. I had to know where each one came from. I was terrified of there being a shadow with nothing to cast it. Even worse, a shadow that moved on it's own! I was also terrifed that a ghost woman woud hover over me while I slept. Yeah, then I watched Darkness Falls. It was like someone had watched me hiding under my blankets all those years and decided to make a film about it.

Ragey, I had a similar fear. Not of blinking, but of changing into or out of shirts. I thought that at that breif moment, with a shirt over my face, I would be vulnarable and all the monsters I couldn't see around me would come out of the woodwork and attack me.

"Just remember, there's nothing here in the dark that isn't there during the day." [Eek!]

That scared me the most! As if bedtime wasn't scary enough, all those monsters were around me during the day? Those were NOT comforting words!

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandfather once made me a Jiminy Cricket lamp that scared the crap outta me. It was used as a night light. I think the terror my have come from the fact that Jiminy was painted human flesh color instead of green. One night I got brave and chewed some gum, then spread the gum over Jiminy's eyes. My mom noticed this a few days later and was seriously p.o.'ed with me.

I never had monsters in the closet or under the bed. They came from the walls. I lived in an older house, and for some reason, I dunno if it was the paint job or what, but when you looked at the walls at night, you could see faces on them. Ugly faces. Mean faces. On the wall closest to my bed, for some other reason, insects would walk up and down it at night. I'm not talking little bugs, spiders,etc. I'm talking huge, Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom- size bugs. Mostly centipedes and millipedes.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ciara...

Icon 600 posted      Profile for Ciara...   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my worst childhood fears was probably the Liseberg (amusement park) bunnies:

-
People dressed up in giant costumes in general seriously freaked me out. While my best friend would run up to hug the bunnies I'd be hiding behind my mother. I still don't like them but I don't hide behind my mother anymore. [Razz]

--------------------
-Oh, we'd all like to lick the great Superman, Jimmy.

Posts: 2298 | From: Eastern Scandinavia (Sverige) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too GodCiara! I am still wary of suited people/ mascots/ clowns etc. It could be anyone under there! The mall Santa here is particulary bad. I had one time where my freind begged me to get a picture with him on the big red chair and I swear he squeezed my butt. Then she later admitted she felt it too. Ew, creepy!

I'd say the fear of costumed characatures is justified. If I was a mother, I wouldn't want any of them touching my childern. A stranger is a stranger, costumed or not!

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Van Couver
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Van Couver   E-mail Van Couver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Beside fire...ET

~shudder~ thankfully later in life that turned into just despising him. I always associated a terrible smell with him.

But then again my brother and I were once afraid of a imagined White shark in a indoor Pool...so we were pretty imaginativer kids

--------------------
FAMILY(n): Where the term insane is a RELATIVE term //Threadkiller: Watch this line.....it might be the last on this topic........

Posts: 2146 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 37 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Van *Fraeulein_Ming* Couver:
Beside fire...ET

~shudder~ thankfully later in life that turned into just despising him. I always associated a terrible smell with him.

Me too!! I always imagined ET smelled gross - that's very strange.

ETA - the first time I read your post I thought it said Bedside fire for some reason. I thought you had some kind of fireplace next to your bed and it scared you. Then I thought there might have been some scene in ET with a bedside fire, but I didn't think so, it sounds very European to me (a bedside fireplace, not ET). wow it's been a long day.

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kessira

quote:
Originally posted by SmartKitty:
When I was really little, about 3 or so, there was a TV show called "The Saint." The show itself wasn't scary in the least, but the opening theme was really spooky-sounding, at least to me. The opening sequence showed an animated stick figure with that creepy music in the background. Every time it came on, I'd run screaming from the room. I was even afraid of stick figures (I called them "saints") because they reminded me of that show.

Smart "Saint Elsewhere" Kitty

--
I loved The Saint. It starred Roger Moore, later known as...(10 points if you get it!)
It was a pretty interesting spy/detective show with goofy plotlines. The show that creeped me out was Night Gallery. The TV was in my parents' bedroom, and the two of us kids would sit on the floor watching it. My folks loved Night Gallery, and if we wanted to watch anything else in that time slot, we were out of luck. The music alone gave me shivers.

Ciara...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ciara...   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by resEmantisLution:
Me too GodCiara! I am still wary of suited people/ mascots/ clowns etc. It could be anyone under there! The mall Santa here is particulary bad. (...)

Ugh, Santas!  - That reminded me of the time I spent Christmas with my uncle and my cousin. That was the first (and only) time I saw someone -my uncle- dressed up as Santa Claus. Gave me a real fright. It took a lot of pushing from my mother to get me to go up to him even though I knew that underneath that creepier-than-thou mask was my uncle.

ETA: Just remembered another fear. Every Christmas Eve in Sweden a show airs called Donald Duck's Christmas. In one of the sequences Donald is trying to photograph exotic birds. One of these birds is a very annoying creature and has a habit of just popping into the screen from all directions. I was so creeped out by that bird when I was a kid, to the point where I'd cover me ears and squeeze my eyes shut whenever he came on. He still makes me uncomfortable.

--------------------
-Oh, we'd all like to lick the great Superman, Jimmy.

Posts: 2298 | From: Eastern Scandinavia (Sverige) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had an absolutely paralyzing fear of stormy weather. My hometown had a few close calls with tornadoes, so they frightened me most of all. It actually made me agoraphobic--I was afraid to go outside even in fine weather because I was afraid of being caught outside during a tornado. This wasn't helped by the fact that I have two older siblings who found my phobia hilarious, and invcoked it at every opportunity. Once night, they actually woke me up int he middle of one of the most severe thunderstorms I'd ever seen, and made faint meowing sounds to make me think my cat was outside in that hell. Ho, ho.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oy vey iz mir
Deck the Malls

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Oy vey iz mir   E-mail Oy vey iz mir   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kessira:

I loved The Saint. It starred Roger Moore, later known as...(10 points if you get it!)

...James Bond? Yay, ten points for me! ^_^

I used to have the same fear of changing my shirt, too! I'd forgotten about it until you guys mentioned it.
I also used to be TERRIFIED of all large fuzzy mascots... I called them "big ditties" and would cry whenever I saw them.
I saw the movie "The Little Prince" when I was four, and I had nightmares about it for about a year afterward. It had these claymation sequences in it which detailed a god-like figure killing all of these little people.

Oh yeah, hello all, this is my first post here...

Posts: 351 | From: Fairbanks, AK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 301 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In frightening in the realm of entertainment, 2 things spring to mind:

• Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka. (Or "Wonker", if you pronounce it with a Rhode Island accent.) The dude seriously did emotional damage to generations of kids. Especially that psycho rant he does on the boat ride scene. Sheesus, I didn't want to sleep the night I saw that. Or eat chocolate ever again. Who wants to eat candy if it's got dead kids in it?!
  • The second was a song on Sesame Street, called "Sammy the Snake", basically a snake muppet singing about songs starting with the letter "S". Creeped the hell outta me. I had that song on a Sesame Street album I owned, and I'd practically trash the needle trying to get it off that song.

(My cousin was freaked out by another Sesame Street skit, about shady guys down by the docks, chasing a letter W. The W hides by flipping itself over and saying it's an M and doesn't know where the W went.)

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lightning. (Still terrifies me - and yet I live in the most lightning-intensive area of the world.)

People in oversized animal/character/mascot costumes (I still don't like them)

Ghosts, vampires, and aliens. I read too much paranormal stuff as a kid.

Talking to strange people. Or even people I didn't know very well. I was what is called a selective mute; at one point in my childhood I literally could not speak to anyone other than my immediate family. I was too terrified. Also I was terrified of being the center of attention. I freaked out and became paralyzed. I always had trouble doing new things - I didn't learn how to tie my shoes until I was 10, and I've never learned to ride a bike. I was so scared of learning new things. I'm no longer scared, but the older I get, the more embarassing it is to have to admit that I can't ride a bike. As a kid I was terrified of answering the telephone or the front door. I don't think I started doing that until I was 16 or so. I still don't like doing it now.

Clowns. My mother hired a clown for my 6th birthday party - without telling me. All I remember is that I was hiding in my room crying while all the kids at my party were outside having fun.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 506 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Lightning. (Still terrifies me - and yet I live in the most lightning-intensive area of the world.)
I knows where you lives now! [Wink] I knows cos my brother lives there, and he told me it was the lightning capital of the world. (I won't say where it is, don't worry, I won't spill da beans.)

All I know is, when I visited him, seeing lightning during the day was oddly serene to me. Then later on I thought about it, asking, "Hey, should we really be outside while that's going on?" (It wasn't raining, for those of you who don't live...where I won't mention.)

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops. I just realized I meant to say "the U.S." not "the world".

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MrsDarko

Icon 506 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thunderstorms. Oh god, I was so afraid of thunder as a kid it was untrue. I used to practically have a heart-attack everytime there was a storm. And then I got scared of lightening because it meant that there would be a thunder clap. I even refused to say the word "Thunder" for fear that it woulod act as some sort of weird invocation and it would bring about a storm there and then. Of course, all the kids at school found this highly hilarious and would mock me by singing the theme from "Thundercats" at every available opportunity.

I'm still afraid of if even now, but I'm not so bad as I was. I can even go out in it now. If I really have to [Smile]

Dark Aphrodite

Icon 401 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always been really afraid of bears...I don't know why. I remember when I was about 3, i had a nightmare that a bear was chasing me through my house and my parents just sat back and watched, not caring..then I remember jumping on the couch and covering up with a blanket and when i peeked out the bear froze in thin are and then just, umm, i guess the best word to describe it is evaporated in thin air. Anywayz, bears scared the crap outta me. i always had a fear of them breaking a window to my house and killing me. I have had many nightmares about bears..sadly i don't thinki have ever been able to own a teddy bear without getting rid of it shortly...anywayz, thats my fear. [Frown]
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was afraid of the noise a flushing toilet made when I was little. It was especially bad when everything was quiet and I was afraid to break the silence - I would sometimes wait until someone else started making noise outside the bathroom before I would flush.

When I was older (11 or 12), I became terrified of mummies. I was not afraid of mummies coming alive, or anything like that. I do not like seeing dead things, and mummies are obviously quite dead (they don't look like they are sleeping if they are shrivelled up with flesh missing) and yet quite human (a mummy looks much more like a person than a skeleton does).

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hammerhead
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Hammerhead   E-mail Hammerhead   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember one time I was watching this segment from some old black and white movie where there were these slaves on this big boat rowing (It was one of those boats with all the oars sticking out the sides), I asked my dad what it was and he said that sometimes when people commited crimes they would have to become rowers, sometimes for the rest of their life. Now when he said that I didn't know he meant it happened along time ago so a few months later when my mom got a ticket for speeding I was really afraid she would get sold into slavery.

--------------------
All that exists is atoms and empty space, everything else is just opinion -Democratus

Posts: 20 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
stephen

Heres one i doubt anyone else had. When I was like 6 my dad had these tapes about people with multiple personality disorders because he was learning to help them and one time we went on a road trip to Tumbler Ridge in northern british columbia (an 13 hour drive from Vancouver)and the whole time, the tapes were on. It scared the sh!t out of me. There was a woman on one of the tapes that had formerly had multiple personalities. When she was very young (like 6) her father would use her as a prostitute. She had a problem with being in bedwith an older person, so she split into the personality of a teenage girl. Unfortunately, that personality had a problem with being in a bed with a member of the opposite sex (ithink it was thatshe was only a "teenager", not that she was a lesbian), so she split into the personality of a gay man. it just went on and on and on. there was another one too that was justtalking about how people got multiple personalities and one guy talked about cults that would hurt (im not sure how) young children until they had a split personality. They would then teachthe split personality about the cult and stuff. So the person could be in the cult for a long time without ever knowing.

Don't take any of thatas pure truth as its been a long time since iheard it. Anyways, it scared me SOOOO much. Now I'm completely (ok, maybe not COMPLETELY) ok with it though.

glitter_sufc

I used to listen to story tapes when I was little and I used to believe that if I let the tape stop then monsters would eat me. So I used to have to reach down (top bunk) take the tape out and turn if over as fast as I could.

I was also scared to death of the Scarlet-Coloured Beast of Revelation... but that's what happens when you're raised in a cult (Jehovah's Witness) and have to look at pictures of it jumping out of the sea at meetings! [Eek!]

UltraChicken

I recall a story I read when I was younger in elementry school called Taily Bone. It scared me so bad because in our town there was a house which was gone except for the chimney. You can look up the story on Google it comes up if you search that name. I still don't like to think about it or recite it. I also had a fear of clowns, but that was more around 11 or 12 after reading IT. Taily Bones I read when I was like 5 or 6.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages