snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Horrors Archive » Accursed Kimono

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Accursed Kimono
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This story is in one of my books in my library but I can't remember which one.
It takes place in Japan in the 1500's and supposedly is true. A girl in Tokyo bought a new kimono. A short time later, in spite of having been in good health all her life, she fell ill and died. The kimono was given to another girl and she too died a short time later.
A third girl inherited the kimono--and yes, she also died soon afterwards. A priest decided the best thing to do with the kimono was to burn it. So he built a fire and put the kimono on it; the wind suddenly gusted and blew the flaming garment onto a building, starting a fire that burned down much of Tokyo.
Has anyone else ever heard this story? It's not a supernatural tale and could easily have happened but I did a google search on it and found nothing.

Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone else think this thread title would make a great band name?

Nonny

------------------
www.geocities.com/ncmcphee

Into the Fire by Norma McPhee coming any minute now from LTDBooks

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oona
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nonny Mouse:
Does anyone else think this thread title would make a great band name?

Nonny

Indeed it would. We should start Accursed Kimono right away. I can sing and write songs, and if we need a trombone for any reason... that'd be me. Do we have a drummer in the house?

-Oo"knows that it was a rhetorical question, doesn't care."na

------------------
it's okay to scream.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
another trombonist?

yay...

we only need, erm, 74 more!

Embra "round the horn"

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Supposedly reported in Ripley's Believe It Or Not, Bonanza Books, Crown Publishing, 1985

Found this

quote:
There was a big fire called the "Furisode-kaji" (furisode:long sleeve kimono, kaji:fire) in Edo in January of Meireki 3rd (1657). Almost all of the city including the main building of the Edo castle were burned. The population of the temple town suffered greatly from the fire. The next New Year there was another big fire called the Great Kichijo-ji fire, and this time the Kichijo-ji temple also burned. As a result the temple was moved to Komagome.
And this
quote:
A kimono, successively owned by three teenage girls, each of whom died before she had a chance to wear it, was believed to be so unlucky that it was cremated by a Japanese priest in February 1657. As the garment was being burned, a violent wind sprang up, fanning the flames and spreading them beyond control. The ensuing fire destroyed three-quarters of Tokyo. leveling 300 temples, 500 palaces, 9,000 shops, 61 bridges, and killing 100,000 people. (Noęl Nouet, Histoire de Tokyo, P.98)

There was defnitely a great fire in 1657, and I can find varying reports of it being started when a priest burned a long sleeved kimono. Hard ot know if it's real or another Mrs. O'Leary's cow--the best sources seem to be in Japanese.

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
huginn

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oona:
I can sing and write songs, and if we need a trombone for any reason... that'd be me.

If you can do all three at once, I'll pay to see that.

LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 22 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does this thread remind anyone else about the UL where the girl dies after wearing a wedding dress that was worn by a corpse??
Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crystal Unicorn

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LOL. I'll play flute. Yes, it does sound like the one with the wedding dress. Supposedly, a girl didn't have much money, but was getting married the next week. She went to a small, dirty antique shop and found the perfect wedding dress. It was white, but slightly green around the edges. That was OK though! Her wedding was going to be green! She bought it, and wore it to her wedding. She danced with everyone there, and made a stunning bride. Soon, she was sweating (bad thing to do at your wedding) and so she sat down. After a while, she started to get a headache. (I'll probably get a migraine on the day of MY wedding.. Lucky me!) She went into the bathroom and started to throw up. She threw up until she couldn't anymore, and was weak. She crawled back out onto the dance floor, and in front of her new husband, died. It turns out that the dress she'd bought from the antique shop was a corpse's burial dress. The corpse had still had embalming fluid on it when she'd been placed in it. After the funeral, the merchant stole the dress and sold it for new. When the dancer had danced and started to sweat, it had leaked in through her pores.

That's nice, isn't it? Hey, I have a song.
"Somali's tail in the air, long hair. Siamese, balinese, tonkinese, chesire cat is in the tree, socks is in the white house with Mon-I-ka lewinska, socks is in the white house baby... Cat crazy, cat crazy, cat crazy, cat crazy, cat crazy... Cat Cray-zeee" -Soda Popp, 1998

------------------
C'est la vie.
(That's the life)

Katoklzmk
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katoklzmk   E-mail Katoklzmk   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This reminds me of a Hammer Studios movie about a cult that picks sacrificial victims by watching to see who buys a particular kimino; anyone else see it/remember the title?
I wonder if this legend inspired it?

Kat "I'll be the one playing the Blues King harp" O'Klzmk

------------------

what's the point of SEEING cake if you DON'T eat it??

Posts: | From: Annapolis, Md. USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages